mtbr member
    May 2009

Cunningham, rain, schedule

Was hoping to hit up Cunningham this weekend, but the forecast calls for rain here and there so I was wondering if we're allowed to be there in wet conditions. If not, when is it safe to go after a rainy day?

Also, is it open year round?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Don't believe the weather man, especially in the summer. A little rain or wet conditions are ok since we have'nt had rain in awhile and any rain we get now will get soaked up by our drains. Just be careful since the logs and rocks could be very slippery if wet. Summer rain is usually spotty and not long lasting.

Yes, it's open year round but during late winter/early spring when we get a freeze/thaw cycle the trails may get mushy. During soft conditions we ask everyone to respect the poor conditions and ride the paved paths instead. There is a great paved path that runs from Cunningham to Alley Pond (south/east) for about 3.5 miles and another path called the Kissena Corridor heads (north/west) to the Kissena Velodrome, which is pretty cool to check out (enclosed track with banked turns) then head west to Flushing Meadows Park and hit up the skate park...a great urban assault ride option when the trails are too mushy.
    Michael Vitti
    CLIMB President
    www.CLIMBonline.org
    www.IMBA.com
    NY State Trails Council Member

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the heads up! I have ridden that paved path a while back and being so into mountain biking I totally forgot about that... this bit of refresher will definitely come in handy and will get myself to frequent Cunningham a lot more often!