Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Conditions are just ...... right now

Fantastic!

I don't know about your area but the conditions in the lower Hudson Valley are just about freakin' perfect right now! A spot o' mud here and there but otherwise perfect. Sticky, tacky, rollee, turny, predictable goodness. Leaves are starting to turn and fall so the light is killer too.

Thread may have some life, we'll see...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'll let you know after tomorrow. I've been out of town for the past week but judging by my lawn and the stories I've been hearing we got hammered with quite a bit of rain over the past few days. I'll be riding Luther Forest in Malta and giving the Stables a shot for the first time tomorrow so we'll see how that goes. My gut says that my tires are not appropriate for the trail conditions I'm about to encounter.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Luther forest was pretty good. Grippy... until it wasn't. Was dry over wet so the whole surface tended to let go. Lots of deep mud in the few places there were mud pockets. Probably was completely dry today but as of Saturday morning it wasn't bad.

Also, ended up busting up my rear derailleur on some fallen sticks. Luckily there is a bike shop close by and he took me in and fixed me up for cheap. Good guys. Ordered an X7 rear and am limping along on my beat X5 for the time being.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Oooohhh yesterday was so good.

It seems every time I get out this year it's like riding fresh trails. It rains in between my rides and the trails heal and get washed clean then dry out just enough.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Oooohhh yesterday was so good.

It seems every time I get out this year it's like riding fresh trails. It rains in between my rides and the trails heal and get washed clean then dry out just enough.
    That sounds like good stuff! It definitely feels like fall up here today and rained again last night so I'm not sure how things are doing. I probably won't get out again until October.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Rode SMBA tonight. The trails conditions are the best they've been all year. Not too dry, not too wet and plenty of traction.

Go get some!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell13 View Post
    Rode SMBA tonight. The trails conditions are the best they've been all year. Not too dry, not too wet and plenty of traction.

Go get some!
    Great to hear. They were pretty mucky on Saturday from what I understand. I'm a timid beginner so I guess its time to get in a bit over my head over there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by skyphix View Post
    Great to hear. They were pretty mucky on Saturday from what I understand. I'm a timid beginner so I guess its time to get in a bit over my head over there.
    Join me on Monday, 5:30pm start. I've been hosting group rides sporadically through the season. I'll be riding this coming week.

mtbr member
    Hit the Thacher Park trails on Sunday. Dry and fast. Awesome.

mtbr member
    I think the trails are pretty damn good right now. Too bad I've been working my butt off and have no time to enjoy them.
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell13 View Post
    Join me on Monday, 5:30pm start. I've been hosting group rides sporadically through the season. I'll be riding this coming week.
    Do you run them into later October? Have a few endurance events to get through the next two weekends so I'll be training and resting for those. October will be mountain bike month though. Thanks for the invite.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    OOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I love early fall riding! Cool temps, no dust and not too many leaves down yet. Why oh why do I have to work for a living?!

Fatbike is on the way. Gonna be a good winter too

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Loving life right now on Long Island. Best weather EVER!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hammered ES today....

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by skyphix View Post
    Do you run them into later October? Have a few endurance events to get through the next two weekends so I'll be training and resting for those. October will be mountain bike month though. Thanks for the invite.
    I'll be riding Mondays as long as the weather and my schedule allows. I usually ride until the snow sets in.

mtbr member
    Hitting up ESS (Shoreham) from the BMX track at 9am if anybody can make it.

Black Mazda 3.
    I.M.B.A. Metro NY Trail Patrol

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I was gonna post last night and complain that it was starting to get dusty I think we got just enough rain this morning to get things back to perfect tack and traction. Sunset ride today should be great! Just watch out for slippery leaves down..

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I am going back East Setauket tomorrow if the weather allows. Saturday it was hot in there

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Awesome. Conditions are just awesome right now. Dry and tacky.

Rode Luther Forest today with a couple of friends.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Trail conditions = Absolutely wonderful!

Hunter stupidity is at an all time high though. Rather than a physical altercation with an armed moron I turned around and went home this morning. Fool threatened me and my daughter, said that she would make a great target and pansies like me should get a life. He needed a tow though because you can't drive with two flat tires...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That sounds like a death threat to me.

As a hunter and outdoorsman of all type, behavior like that makes me ashamed.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Solved the problem with a super colorful sunset ride at a spot with no hunting allowed. It's been a great leaf season hasn't it?

Methinks we need a little snow to moisten and soften things up cuz it's starting to get a bit dusty and to convince me to bring home the Farley in my shop I think I've got fat bike fever...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It most certainly has. This is a photo from the first weekend in October, not in NY, but on the 2nd day of a bike tour I did from NY to Maine.

Leaves are mostly down now, around me, but it seemed long and bright this year. We've been getting spotty rain, enough to keep the trails tacky but not muddy. I'd like to get one ride in VT before the snow but after that, it might be interesting to ride some familiar trails with a little snow on them.

I've been seriously contemplating going 29+ or renting a fat bike this winter, but my bike budget is spent for this year, so renting is about the only likelyhood...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey where's the trail? Oof! This wind is burying he trails around here in a thick carpet of leaves. Gonna give it another go this afternoon. Fatbikes in deep leaves are fun

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I went to VT and while the leaves were down it was awesome riding. A little slick, but great none the less. Have fun!
    Eric

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast