'Tis but a scratch

Camp Orange, Middletown (Map?)

Does anybody have a map or other quality insights into Camp Orange in Middletown/Scotchtown area. I have heard that it is a pretty good alternative to Newburgh during hunting season. I'll take anything you have/know about access, trails, etc. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i have a map in paper but not in PDF files i reccomend you go to darkhorse cycle near stewart because they may carry some maps.
    If you are going for a first time i reccomend you go with someone who knows this place alot because the trails are so hard to see that you can easily get lost. and i also recomend that you take normal singletracks because there have been someone blowing out the leaves on trails recently and it is very easy to follow.
    oh and one more thing this trails have more climbing and decending than stewart due to its location. the trails are just climbing up and going down the ridge, so it takes more time. i would say you should ride about 3:1 compared to stewart. that means if you ride 18 miles in stewart you should do 6 miles in same time.
    2012 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er
    2007 K2 FS
    2006 Ironhorse Quantum

'Tis but a scratch
    Thanks for the response. Not so sure I'm gonna be in the area of Dark Horse any time soon. If I head to Middletown, it will definitely be out of the way to hit DH as I am coming from Rockland. Any chance you have the ability to scan in that map and email to me. If so, I will send you a PM with my email address. Worst case, I'm just gonna give it a shot. I'm pretty good at getting "unlost" and I have a sense of the roads in the area.

Appreciate the insight on the terrain. Someone at the Weed Rd trailhead in Stewart had shared that fact, too. I'll be ready for some climbing. The same guy told me to park on Tamms Rd in a dirt lot. I think its identified in the JPG attached. Is this the best place to park?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camp Orange, Middletown (Map?)-tamms-rd.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    yes tamms road parking the only parking i belive that can park more than 10 cars

there are couples of gates throughout the park like puff town road entrance but those parking just have an enough space to park a couples of cars and also you need car with high clearance to get there since its a road with so much pot holes and rocks.

well i will try to scan the maps if i can if i could i will send it to you via PM

Oh and 1 more thing I forgot to add this to my old post
    it is very rocky so i recommend 29er
    Last edited by njxcmtnbkrluvspeed; 11-30-2011 at 10:28 AM.
    2007 K2 FS
    2006 Ironhorse Quantum

mtbr member
    I've never heard of this place despite living about 40ish miles away, I'll have to check it out. Is it really hunter free?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yes its Hunter free in state park, but there are small amounts of local farmers who hunt. well all of those hunters are nice and they dont shoot at everything that moves like deer hunters do
    Last edited by njxcmtnbkrluvspeed; 12-02-2011 at 09:06 AM.
    2007 K2 FS
    2006 Ironhorse Quantum

mtbr member
    Went there for the first time today. I followed a lot of old woods roads in a giant loop, then followed the green trail northbound back to the tamms road trailhead. Without a map or gps I didn't go too crazy, but I did find a couple loops on the north end, I'm sure there's tons more. I'll stop by dark horse and try to get a map before my next ride there.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I was there yesterday too. i rode around 8.something miles
    i must have seen you lol.
    did you get there after the big group left?
    2007 K2 FS
    2006 Ironhorse Quantum

'Tis but a scratch
    njxcmtnbiker - Any luck scanning that map you have?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by njxcmtnbkrluvspeed View Post
    I was there yesterday too. i rode around 8.something miles
    i must have seen you lol.
    did you get there after the big group left?
    I got there late, about 1:30ish. I saw a few packing up when I came in, when I wrapped it up at sunset I was the only one left. I heard some people off in the woods at one point but other than a woman and her dog a couple hundred feet from the trailhead I didn't see another soul the whole day. I wonder do they allow snowmobiling there? If so it could be a good place for snowbiking on packed trails.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    njxcmtnbiker - Any luck scanning that map you have?
    trying to but the map is too big to fit my scanner. i will look for degital version of it soon.
    2007 K2 FS
    2006 Ironhorse Quantum

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    ...snowbiking on packed trails.
    That shts fun

'Tis but a scratch
    This link to Trimble Outdoors produced some GPX tracks from user "sallig". This may be of some help in making a "make-shift" homegrown map or just getting the lay of the land. You can export KML files to Google Earth. Or if you have a nice GPS (which I don't) you might even be able to put them in your GPS and follow them. Good luck!

Trip Search, NY

mtbr member
    Link is to Middletown CT

mtbr member
    -sorry double post-

'Tis but a scratch
    for some reason the whole link didn't copy because it has a comma, then a space and then NY. If you just go to that link and add NY at the end, you'll find what I was talking about

'Tis but a scratch
    Today I got up there and was planning on going solo with my home made map using the KML files I imported from Trimble Outdoors to Google earth (reference above). As good fortune would have it I was about to head out on the trail at the same time as 2 other dudes (Dave and Jason). These guys new the park really well and gave me a great tour...about 10 miles worth. A nice mix of double track and single track. Kudos and thanks to these guys for being great ambassadors. I hoped to catch a GPS track, but my Blackberry was a little finicky. Anyway, I highly recommend this place.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    rode there this morning
    had a nice time ))
    2007 K2 FS
    2006 Ironhorse Quantum

mtbr member
    Me too. Good place to explore.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camp Orange, Middletown (Map?)-gg.jpg  

Camp Orange, Middletown (Map?)-jims.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Bike Dr. in Middletown is going to be your best source for info on the trails at Camp O.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by pedaler845 View Post
    Me too. Good place to explore.
    That is such a "Sweet" ride!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by joe j View Post
    Bike Dr. in Middletown is going to be your best source for info on the trails at Camp O.
    Could anyone suggest a trail head and some simple directions to it?

'Tis but a scratch
    I parked at the parking lot on Tamms Rd (see snapshot from Google, above). If you just put "Tamms Rd, Middletown, NY" into google maps, it comes up. The trailhead went out of the SE corner of lot with options north and south. I had a great guided tour.

mtbr member
    Lots of good contact & parking info in this thread.

Note that this park is run by the Palisade State Parks, and they rule over thousands of acres of public land that are in the dark ages as far as bike access goes! So, if there's ways to help access & not hurt it... Biking groups are trying to be a legit force there...