mtbr member

Blue Mountain Reservation Recommended Trails

Going to be making a day trip to Blue Mountain (Peekskill)

What would be some of the recommended trails to hit
    Looking for the more technical trails to ride

Thanks
    LeftyMax

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Tech at Blue

Debacle for the most tech. Stinger has a few large rollers on it. Monster has several challenging climbs and tech variations. My Favorite has a killer roller - up rock face - roller combo on it. Many more. Check w/ wmba.org for locals who might show you the goods.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Good riding even without a plan (as I usually do.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sashae View Post
    Good riding even without a plan (as I usually do.)
    x2

When I saw this post I thought right away that I would be able to suggest the best trails there as I ride the place quite a lot. The only problem? I never pay attention to what trail I'm on! It's really a big place but if you're fit enough and have the time, you can cover everything. For me the biggest obstacle in learning the trails there was learning which direction to ride them. A lot of them (depending on whether you like climbing or descending) are more fun in one way than in the other. Once you learn it you'll love it. Excellent place with a bit of something for everyone.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pike14 View Post
    x2

When I saw this post I thought right away that I would be able to suggest the best trails there as I ride the place quite a lot. The only problem? I never pay attention to what trail I'm on! It's really a big place but if you're fit enough and have the time, you can cover everything. For me the biggest obstacle in learning the trails there was learning which direction to ride them. A lot of them (depending on whether you like climbing or descending) are more fun in one way than in the other. Once you learn it you'll love it. Excellent place with a bit of something for everyone.
    Would you guys recommend BLUE for first time riders ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mest22 View Post
    Would you guys recommend BLUE for first time riders ?
    I would have to say no, even the jeep roads are pretty rutted, they will probably not enjoy it unless they are daring, the singletrack definitely not. Beginners (nevermind first timers) can be overwhelmed, blue is very technical. Advanced riders can be challenged on nearly every trail there which is why it's such a premier destination. There is always something on every ride I can't clean, some things I won't try without a big bike and body armor, some hidden areas I flat out will never ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    I would have to say no, even the jeep roads are pretty rutted, they will probably not enjoy it unless they are daring, the singletrack definitely not. Beginners (nevermind first timers) can be overwhelmed, blue is very technical. Advanced riders can be challenged on nearly every trail there which is why it's such a premier destination. There is always something on every ride I can't clean, some things I won't try without a big bike and body armor, some hidden areas I flat out will never ride.

thank you for the reply .. do you know of any trails in the ny area you would advise to get a new rider on?

'Tis but a scratch
    Blue is loaded with cool stuff. Myx Monster, Rambler, MFT, Stinger to Debacle, SIS to name a few. Great map at WMBA site. I see you list Bronx, NY as your location. You might want to give Sprain a try (also good map at WMBA site). Its got some challenging spots too, but I think its got more smooth single-track. There is definitely some chunk and tech riding at Sprain, but Blue is more technical for a beginner. Don't let that scare you off. You can always walk what you can't ride.

Another place that is very inviting to beginners, yet still great fun for other levels in Stewart State Forest (aka Buffer Zone, aka Newburgh). I would wait until big game season is over though in another couple weeks. Good map to get you started at Stewards of Stewart website.

Finally, you might also want to check out Stillwell or Cunningham Park. I haven't ridden either extensively, but I feel that a beginnger could get along fine and not end up feeling like "What did I get myself into?". CLIMB - Concerned Long Island Mountain Bicyclists
    Last edited by huffster; 12-08-2012 at 08:15 AM.

mtbr member
    True, when I was starting I rode over my head frequently, but it didn't discourage me. If anything looks too daunting just walk it, no biggie. On second thought the doubletrack at blue might be perfect for first timers, if they feel like exploring a little they can try some of the trails.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Quote Originally Posted by mest22 View Post
    thank you for the reply .. do you know of any trails in the ny area you would advise to get a new rider on?
    Cunningham Park in Queens is great for beginner riders to start learning some skills.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm