Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Best tires for Long Island trails?

I've been doing some research on tires the past few days and I'm at a loss...

I mostly ride Glacier Ridge and Stillwell, but would like to venture out and see what else the Island has to offer. With that being said, you guys know what the terrain is.

My ride is a 2005 Cannondale F1000 hard tail (may be going to an Epic or Camber next year). Right now I'm running tubeless Kenda Small Block 8's in 26x2.1 on the stock Mavic UST wheels that came on the bike. I'm 5'10" and a muscular 200lbs. with normal summer riding gear on and I'm running about 30psi F & R. The 30psi feels good but I'm willing to change that if there's a significant improvement.

The SB8's have surprised me so far, but I could use a bit more traction when I really push these tires in the turns. Having a BMX and Downhill background I'm not one to keep a steady cadence and don't rely on gearing that much, I usually stay between the same 3 gears and don't feel the need to switch alot on these trails. I'm out of the saddle alot, coasting and pumping a bit (I contribute that to the SB8's great rolling resistance) and tend to throw the bike around under me quite a bit all while staying right on the tail of my fellow riders.

I love the rolling resistance of the SB8 as I feel it goes well with my riding style. My buddy yesterday was running Velociraptors on his newer Epic Elite and they sounded like freakin' sand paddles. While keeping a steady cadence he couldn't get away from me as I coasted and pumped behind him. But, I would lose a little confidence in the corners as now that I've really been pushing it I've had the SB8's wash out on me a few times.

I was thinking of switching to Nevegals but realize that there's probably been a ton of advancement since their inception. Research has brought me to look at the Conti X Kings, Schwalbe Rocket Ron, Nobby Nic and various others. Anyone have any concrete recommendations?

mtbr member
    Ones with knobs... jk, in all seriousness your tires are fine for LI. Other people have been running nobby nics or rocket rons, I run Geax sauguraros and like them. Just my $0.02.

I Fought The Lawn
    Racing Ralph HS 425 | Schwalbe North America

We are having exceptional luck with these in 29" flavor at glacier ridge this season.
    '13 Cannondale F29
    '01 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    '98 Manitou FS
    '97 GT Avalanche
    '97 GT LTS-1

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Try lowering the pressure on your SB8 till you minimize the sliding. Mid to low twenties will give more traction. Nevagals have more rolling resistance and are slower rolling. I use the SB8 in the rear for less rolling resistance and a different tire up front for more traction on turns. A rear tire slide is easier to control than a front tire slide. Sorry I forgot which tire was upfront since I have switched to riding a fat bike.
    Michael Vitti
    CLIMB President
    www.CLIMBonline.org
    www.IMBA.com
    NY State Trails Council Member

mtbr member
    Nics are awesome. Light AND grippy.

Many sizes and price points too.

Nobby Nic HS 411 | Schwalbe North America
    I.M.B.A. Metro NY Trail Patrol
    I.M.B.A. NMBP Trail Patrol Instructor
    http://www.climbonline.org

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I also vote for knobby nics.

All around greatest tire for LI!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Good job!

+I like to go fast and roll fast. I go with Either Pythons or small bock 8s. Tried the Nics, Tried the Ralphs (both found thier way onto my girls bike).

The Small blocks stayed on the bike till they wore out.

The Karmas were good and also stayed till they wore out,

Last season I spent over $500 on tires and I am back to the pythons. They work best for me (Key word me).

I ride a lot......most of the time RP, ES, GR, Cal, CP and another trail. I also have hit Stilly a fair amount. Stilly shreds tires and the soft compound of the schwalbes on the ouside knobs take a beating.

Though I had most recently blew out a sidewall on a Python and was in a pinch. I had an old IRC Mythos hanging around and threw it on. it was a 1.95 in size . These are the the best all around tire for LI in my humble opinion. They grip, They roll, the side walls are durable and they are light.............the best part is they are not 80 bucks a tire!

You alo cant go wrong with the nevagal
    Last edited by spartacus; 09-09-2013 at 04:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacus View Post

You alo cant go wrong with the nevagal
    HUH?

Nevagals are a rock tire, high rolling resistance. Nevagals would be a terrible choice for Long Island

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I think if that is the case then its perfect for Stillwell ( I believe to OP asked for a tire for RP and stilly) Stillwell is very sandy and loose with a ton of rocks..............Correct?

Loretto had Nevagals on one of her bikes. I futs with it a few times and found the worked well at rp . I would guess they dont only work on Rocks if they worked well for me at rp

But if its a rock only tire then he should look else where.

You are correct Nevagals do have a high rolling resisitance , but the resistance is about the same of the higher priced tires, but nevagals have more weight to them.

Tires are a personal thing. the tire you love that works great for you may not be the best for somebody else. The Tires I choose many people hate and some that i thought were good put other people on thier butts in turns.

I have experimented with tires and tire pressure and have found what works for me. I can only give my opinion.........some may agree and others disagree.

turtles make me hot
    I'm running a Saguaro on the rear and a Specialized Ground Control S Works up front. Best tire combo I've run in a while.
    One of my friends is running the same combo on his hardtail.
    Another friend is running Saguaros front and rear.

Stilly is steadily becoming a fatbike park... Place keeps getting sandier and sandier.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Have not tried the SPecialized tire. I believe that was designed by Andy Stacy who is an Ex Motocrosser who worked for Dunlop Tires designing MX tires. The tread looks pretty agressive. The Write up was positive Specialized S-Works Ground Control 2Bliss Ready Tire Reviews - Mtbr.com .

NYR...........your from smithtown? Live on Estate?

turtles make me hot
    No. Currently in Bellmore. Looking for a house in Kings Park though. Hopefully soon.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I think if that is the case then its perfect for Stillwell ( I believe to OP asked for a tire for RP and stilly) Stillwell is very sandy and loose with a ton of rocks..............Correct?

Loretto had Nevagals on one of her bikes. I futs with it a few times and found the worked well at rp . I would guess they dont only work on Rocks if they worked well for me at rp

But if its a rock only tire then he should look else where.

You are correct Nevagals do have a high rolling resisitance , but the resistance is about the same of the higher priced tires, but nevagals have more weight to them.

Tires are a personal thing. the tire you love that works great for you may not be the best for somebody else. The Tires I choose many people hate and some that i thought were good put other people on thier butts in turns.

I have experimented with tires and tire pressure and have found what works for me. I can only give my opinion.........some may agree and others disagree.
    There are a couple of rocks at Stillwell but not enough to warrent Nevegals and there are no rocks at Rocky Point. You may as well carry a bowling ball at Rocky Point if the tire choice is Nevegals

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    This being the case.................for me i run Pythons. No Tire can match thier Lo rolling resistance and (when fresh) great grip for RP

Small block 8s also have a Lo reisitance, but have less traction than the Hutches. Unfortunately Stillwell shreds these tires (as well as the Nics and ralphs).

I used to run Smoke and darts at stillwell (I used to ride there 3-4 times a week back in 1995-1999). They were a hard compund tire that were heavy (AKA Bowling ball) and gripped great, would last a seasonat trails much like RP and GR. But stillwell would chew them up in a month.

That being said, I would recommend a tire that didnt cost 80 buck a pop and a tire with a thicker side wall.

What do you suggest Orange?

mtbr member
    I actually ride SW in the summer.

Again, the Nic's hook up there. Get the snakeskin version if you worry about sidewalls.

SB8's are trash. Nevegals are worse than SB8's.

The fast guys run Schwalbe and don't brag.
    I.M.B.A. Metro NY Trail Patrol
    I.M.B.A. NMBP Trail Patrol Instructor
    http://www.climbonline.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sick4surf View Post
    Try lowering the pressure on your SB 8 till you minimize the sliding. Mid to low twenties will give more traction. Nevagals have more rolling resistance and are slower rolling. I use the SB 8 in the rear for less rolling resistance and a different tire up front for more traction on turns. A rear tire slide is easier to control than a front tire slide. Sorry I forgot which tire was up front since I have switched to riding a fat bike.
    Sorry Mike..........seems like someone put you in your place
    Quote Originally Posted by Stump 29 View Post
    SB8's are trash. Nevagals are worse than SB8's.

The fast guys run Schwalbe and don't brag.

Cobra..........From my years of riding experience with racing and riding. I Constantly adjust and experiment till I find what works best for me. I ride stilly, GR, ES, RP, CP, CALV and other trails.

I Listened to "The Fast guys who don't brag" rant and rave about how great Schwalbe's are. I went and Purchased a set of RR and NN , because maybe they were the edge I was looking for, also purchased SB8's and Pythons in that month.

Don't like the feel of the Schwalbe at speed (the side knobs flex a lot and give a very inconsistent feel when the bike is leaned over in a turn). They would bite then break loose on anything that resembled hard pack or blue groove. In loam they were fine (then again any tire bites in loam)
    They roll good (not great) and are light. They wear fast (for me)

The small blocks worked great, but the sidewalls on both front and rear ripped. They gripped very well and are light and roll great. They also have a really good wear resistance pertaining to the knobs.

The Pythons gripped better than that of the SB8's and the side knobs don't flex like the Schwalbe. These tires also roll like the wind. The sidewalls are more durable than that of the SB, Light and the knobs wear great. The only issue is when the knobs wear the tire gets real sketchy.
    My experience with the Nevagals is limited as I felt they are heavy and take a lot of energy to move. They are durable and grip well.

and to add

Yes I am fast enough to hold my own and I am not ashamed of it.
    I don't pretend to be a know it all with an antagonistic twist who........heh hem..........cant get out of his own way

Cobra.... hope this is enough info for you.........more than a "They are trash"........... after you said you were surprised how well they were doing in your original post.
    Last edited by spartacus; 09-19-2013 at 04:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

What do you suggest Orange?
    Reading post # 6

mtbr member
    I'm glad I found this thread. I just picked up a 2013 Fuji Nevada 1.9. I honestly know nothing about mountain biking but I have a blast when I hit trails in Bethpage. The bike is great but the tires are problematic whenever I hit some sand or loose dirt. They just sink in and I lose complete traction. The factory tires are 29x2.1, but I don't think they are tubeless so can I convert over to something like the Nics mentioned above? or am I totally off base , as mentioned I don't know much but I'm willing to learn and take anyone's advice, thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by FujiMatador View Post
    I'm glad I found this thread. I just picked up a 2013 Fuji Nevada 1.9. I honestly know nothing about mountain biking but I have a blast when I hit trails in Bethpage. The bike is great but the tires are problematic whenever I hit some sand or loose dirt. They just sink in and I lose complete traction. The factory tires are 29x2.1, but I don't think they are tubeless so can I convert over to something like the Nics mentioned above? or am I totally off base , as mentioned I don't know much but I'm willing to learn and take anyone's advice, thanks.
    You sure can convert your setup to tubeless using the Stan's no tubes, that's what I used

mtbr member
    So what is the advantage of going tubeless?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Tires are not the do it all for sand and loose dirt. Body position plays a roll.

Many People swear by switching thier Tube tires too tubeless. Didnt work for me,
    The advntage is "A lower pressure" so the tire grips better and.....with stans no more flats.
    I dont like lo pressure because i do not like the way the rim rolls over the tire and the squishy feel (on Moguls and turns) may work for others, but I am a fat 178lbs and when honking on it it distracts me.

I say give it a whirl and see if it works for you. Talk to junkie and have them help you out.

turtles make me hot
    So what is the advantage of going tubeless?
    You shed the weight of the tubes, small punctures seal themselves, so no more flats and since now, you only have the thickness of the tire working the ground, the tire grips the surface better.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    So if I do this tubeless swap can I then go back and upgrade the tire later?or will that "Stans" liquid seal the tire to the wheel?

I took a look at the tire pressure yesterday and the sidewall recommended min 40 PSI and a max of 65 PSI. Both tires were set to 51 PSI. I lowered them to 40 and I'm going to take it out today after work. Hopefully going to the lowest setting won't cause issues

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Im pretty sure my Geax AKA's are rated the same as that tire and I have run them as low as 27psi without issue (just pinch flats when I miss judge a hop up.) I usually run them 35 rear/32 front.

Not tubeless, obviously, and riding weight around 245lbs.

turtles make me hot
    It'll be fine.
    I like turtles

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast