Formerly of Kent

Best Riding AND Camping in NY?

Howdy!

I've only been back on the bike for a couple of months now, and I'm looking to expand my riding area. I'm a big fan of anything outdoors, most notably MTB riding and camping.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good places to both ride and camp? While I'm always up for a challenge, I don't mind riding dirt roads. In fact, dirt roads have led to some of the best views I've ever seen while on the bike.

So, if anyone has any suggestions for me, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

What part of NY or doesn't it matter, what kind of riding are you looking to do?
    Last edited by jonz; 10-08-2012 at 04:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'd probably camp two nights at the KOA by Whiteface Mountain in Wilmington, ride DH at Whiteface one day, and then ride XC at the Flume trails, the Hardy Road Trails, and other trails on the barkeater trail list the next day. Then, if it was a 3-day weekend, I'd head over to the Fish Creek Pond campground (which is a beautiful spot), and ride the Otter Creek Trail, or Floodwood loop right from the campsite.

Formerly of Kent
    I live in Watertown but I'd have no problem driving 5 hours to get to some great riding.

In terms of riding, anything short of DH/Freeride will work. Dirt roads, doubletrack, XC, technical up and downhill, etc.

Lake Placid looks pretty good. Lots of trails, some Strava segments to hit, and I can find some place to pitch my tent for a night or two.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Camp at Moreau lake state park in Moreau, ny. Ride there and the SMBA trails in Saratoga, two decent days of riding, plus you're right near Saratoga Springs for great restaurants and bars.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Ellicottville would take the cake I think, but that's out west, an hour south of Buffalo.

You could head down to Oneonta; we have 30 miles of trail and a few spots you could camp. See link in my signature for GoPro vids of the trails here. Pretty wide range of bikes are suitable here, from a rigid SS to a 6" full squish. Lotsa fun for either and anything in between.