mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Best MTB trails for beginners (kids)?

I'm looking for get my 6 year old starting in some beginner type mountain biking riding (carrige trails, not too technical single track, not too hilly climbs), where he can do 5 or so miles without passing out. Everywhere I ride (Spain, Graham Hills, Blue, Ringwood, Jungle Habitat, etc) are all too hilly and technical for a beginner. The only two places that I've riden that maybe will work are parts of the new Yorktown trails, Stewart and Rocky Point in LI.

I heard that there are a few places on LI (Eastport, etc) that are good, but according to some riders I've spoken to have said that the ticks are so back there that it's almost not worth the risk. I only rode Rocky Point once, but neither my buddy or I had a tick on us - maybe we were just lucky or maybe it was because we stayed on the trails the whole time. I heard Cunningham Park in Queens in pretty good, but my is that it gets pretty packed.

Any suggestions for the tri-state area?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    you might try this area...

Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area > Home

not sure if they are open or not yet, but looks to be very promising

mtbr member
    I think you are going to have a hard time avoiding ticks in the woods anywhere around here.

If that's going to keep you from riding, good luck finding somewhere to go...

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit1 View Post
    you might try this area...

Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area > Home

not sure if they are open or not yet, but looks to be very promising
    That place looks pretty cool. too bad its too far away for a day trip. I think it's open, but I'm not sure the biking portion is open yet?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    I think you are going to have a hard time avoiding ticks in the woods anywhere around here.

If that's going to keep you from riding, good luck finding somewhere to go...

SPP
    Obviously there are ticks in the woods anywhere in the tri-state area where we ride. I figured that out 20 years ago when I started mtbing. I'm not trying to be a wise ass, but certain places and/or certain trails are notorious for ticks. Anyone who's spent some time in the woods can spot that.

Certain trails are less maintained or less ridden and/or more overgrown or have a higher deer population or whatever the reason is. My point is that most places I've ridden with some deet on and common sense will help decrease my risk of getting ticks on me. Obviously this is not a guarantee. Whereas some places that regardless of deet and common sense will still result in pulling multiple ticks off me or my clothes. These are the trails that I'd like to avoid if possible. There are enough trails out here, that we can be somewhat selective

mtbr member
    Where do you live exactly? For starters, Orange and Dutches county have the greatest concentration of Limes Disease occurrences in the world, so if you are real worried about ticks I would stay away from Stewart and Blue Mountain. I was at Stewart the other day and pulled two off. As for easy going trails goes, if you are willing to make the trip, up near Albany in Malta, there are about 15 miles or so of some great XC trails in where they call Luther Forest. This place is not too big ~100 acres or so.
    Bone Bruises Required

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Also up here near albany is the pine bush, Cherry plain state park, Grafton Lakes State Park, and some privatly owned trails in the saratoga area as well as others.

in addition there is the Mohawk Hudson trail on the Albany side that is paved, basicly flat and 5 miles one way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I was the Trail Stewad for Rocky Point. Last year we got the trail in Phenominal shape. For a 6 Year old the Main loop would be a bit Much (13 miles)......but alas....no worries. There is a fantastic Family trail (firestone loop and others) They are easy and it gives the feel of being out in the wilderness. They are well Marked as well.

I saw you posted over at CLIMB. I would love to add that maybe the Main loop at Glacier Ridge would be good. Steer Clear of Cathedral with your child. It is very rooty and Bumpy and will take the flavor out of the ride for your Son.

Also, you may want to look into hooking up with andree from trips for kids. They bring kids of all ages out on the trail and you could join in with them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MechMan314 View Post
    Where do you live exactly? For starters, Orange and Dutches county have the greatest concentration of Limes Disease occurrences in the world, so if you are real worried about ticks I would stay away from Stewart and Blue Mountain. I was at Stewart the other day and pulled two off. As for easy going trails goes, if you are willing to make the trip, up near Albany in Malta, there are about 15 miles or so of some great XC trails in where they call Luther Forest. This place is not too big ~100 acres or so.
    We're in Westchester. I know what you mean about Stewart. Every time I go through that field traverse section by the power lines, I feels like tick central.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit1 View Post
    Also up here near albany is the pine bush, Cherry plain state park, Grafton Lakes State Park, and some privatly owned trails in the saratoga area as well as others.

in addition there is the Mohawk Hudson trail on the Albany side that is paved, basicly flat and 5 miles one way.
    Good to know - thanks! Albany is about 2 hours away, but a good idea for a nice day out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
    I was the Trail Stewad for Rocky Point. Last year we got the trail in Phenominal shape. For a 6 Year old the Main loop would be a bit Much (13 miles)......but alas....no worries. There is a fantastic Family trail (firestone loop and others) They are easy and it gives the feel of being out in the wilderness. They are well Marked as well.

I saw you posted over at CLIMB. I would love to add that maybe the Main loop at Glacier Ridge would be good. Steer Clear of Cathedral with your child. It is very rooty and Bumpy and will take the flavor out of the ride for your Son.

Also, you may want to look into hooking up with andree from trips for kids. They bring kids of all ages out on the trail and you could join in with them.
    Thanks for the advise. I did post in CLIMB since we're in East Marion and am looking for a good place out there to ride. I have to agree that CLIMB does a great job maintaining and marking trails, but we still managed to loose our bearings. It didn't matter, but with kids it matter more since they don't have that stamina yet.

I have to double-check that post, but I thought a member suggested Cathedral Pines. That's a good point though, I want him to enjoy it and look forward to another ride and not have him have a bad experience.

I also check out the trail map for Glacier Ridge. I did a google search for "trips for kids". I'll have to look into it and if they have a schedule.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    bump, how's Blue Ridge for kids? We've exhausted Croton Dam Rd and I think my kid is ready for something a bit more than hardpack and gravel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    You mean Sprain Ridge? Not bad but stay away from the north loop. If you park in the upper lot (not the one by the pool) the dirt road heading south and the singletrack that runs past the picnic area are pretty reasonable for kids as far out as the stone bridge. After the bridge it starts rolling a bit more but if he doesn't mind pushing a little bit it is worth the effort.

'Tis but a scratch
    I think Stewart is the perfect place to introduce your young rider. Its not too hilly, although there are some climbs. These can either challenge him or he can learn that "hike-a-bike" is part of the experience. If you want to just ride dirt roads, you can. If you want to hit the singletrack, its hard packed and not too rocky or rooty. It flows nice. With the massive amounts of trails you can easily put together small loops and just add a little more if he's up to it. I would suggest coming in from South Barron Rd. Its a nice level entry/exit point. I don't know how familiar you are with the park, but there is pleanty to ride down that end.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Hey...JSVWX
    Great to see you out at Cathedral Pines for the beginner ride. I am hoping you and your son had a great time. These rides are always fun and the group is an awesome group. Hope to see you out there again !!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    We took our daughter to FDR this morning and had a great time! We stayed on the fire (wide) trails, and I got to take a quick detour down a pretty nice single track by myself.

It's nice that the trail is right behind our house.. I just wish it were longer and had more single track trails. But I'm grateful that it's not all paved like the north county trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
    Hey...JSVWX
    Great to see you out at Cathedral Pines for the beginner ride. I am hoping you and your son had a great time. These rides are always fun and the group is an awesome group. Hope to see you out there again !!!
    We both had a great time! Thanks!