mtbr member
    May 2011

Beginner friendly trail in Albany area

I'm looking for a beginner friendly trail to take my wife on. I have some trail experience but none whatsoever on any NY trails. We live about 10 minutes north of downtown Albany.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Check out the Pine Bush area near Colonie or further north is Luther Forest in Malta.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Another option is colonie town park / colonie shale trail, if you do ride this, ride past the first 2 entrances to the third one then climb up that. Pine bush is the easiest singletrack in the area.

There is also
    -- Pitsfield Forest
    -- Saratoga mtb course "The stables"
    -- Lock 7
    -- Luther Forest
    -- Schenecty town park

None of these trails are well traveled besides saratoga and pine bush so exect to spend some time getting used to them.

good website for you
    CapitalMTB - Home

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoal View Post
    Another option is colonie town park / colonie shale trail, if you do ride this, ride past the first 2 entrances to the third one then climb up that. Pine bush is the easiest singletrack in the area.

There is also
    -- Pitsfield Forest
    -- Saratoga mtb course "The stables"
    -- Lock 7
    -- Luther Forest
    -- Schenecty town park

None of these trails are well traveled besides saratoga and pine bush so exect to spend some time getting used to them.

good website for you
    CapitalMTB - Home
    I would not classify smba or Pittstown (assuming you meant this and not Pittsfield in MA or VT) as beginner friendly for someones wife.

Not to come off as a d!ck but I'm not sure what you mean by none of those trails are well traveled? I would classify almost all of those trails as pretty well traveled, not overflowing with bikers/hikers like living in Boulder, CO but very well traveled for the area. Maybe I misinterpreted what you meant?
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well... I come from the midwest (minnesota), lived in boulder and atlanta -- these mtn biking trails are not nearly as well groomed or kept or marked or laid out as good as other places i've been imho. I have been enjoying them but there is definitely a learning curve since trails go every which way and if you don't know the place there is a lot of short laps here and there. Yes I agree pittstown is not beginner friendly.

Sorry I didn't want to come across sharnky. I love the area for what it is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoal View Post
    Well... I come from the midwest (minnesota), lived in boulder and atlanta -- these mtn biking trails are not nearly as well groomed or kept or marked or laid out as good as other places i've been imho. I have been enjoying them but there is definitely a learning curve since trails go every which way and if you don't know the place there is a lot of short laps here and there. Yes I agree pittstown is not beginner friendly.

Sorry I didn't want to come across sharnky. I love the area for what it is.
    I didn't want to come off that way either, so I'm glad that you didn't take it that way. Your absolutely right that the trails around here are nowhere close to being accessible to new people and nothing close to being well marked when compared to the west. I've ridden SMBA more than 10 times now and still won't go without someone else, even with a map once I get to a certain point I'm never where the map and trails say I should be.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Luther Forest in Malta. It is about 20 -30 miles north of Albany. Great beginner mountain biking.

Also John Boyd Thacher State Park 17 miles West in Voorheesville.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Pittsfield State Forest in Ma has excellent beginner trails. We built them for that purpose .. Marked loops ready to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryonaspot View Post
    Pittsfield State Forest in Ma has excellent beginner trails. We built them for that purpose .. Marked loops ready to ride.
    I've been to Pittsfield, VT but never MA. Would you mind posting a link to maps/information? I've been interested in checking out MA since it's so close to the Capital Region but hate wasting a day to drive somewhere and then have a crappy time trying to find my way around and not get lost.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    pine hill park in rutland is amazing, its an hour and 20 min from you.check out www.pinehillpark.org,or google it.worth the trip and trails are not too hard

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeesrider View Post
    pine hill park in rutland is amazing, its an hour and 20 min from you.check out www.pinehillpark.org,or google it.worth the trip and trails are not too hard
    This has been on my list too. I'm actually 45 mins or so from Albany so it's actually more like a 2hr + trip. Still not that long.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i will be there memorial day weekend if u wanna ride. staying in rutland area.let me know .

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    There is no Internet acces able map of Pittsfield State Forest. I can arrange a guided tour for anyone who wants to ride there. Or anywhere else in the Berkshires. Harry