All Play
    Sep 2012

Anyone in the Southern Westchester Region?

I mainly ride over at Sprain Ridge park in Yonkers and Blue MTN Reservation in Peekskill. Anyone else around here?

Also, my GF is fairly new at riding and I'd like to take her off road. Where are there any good hard packed or gravel trails around the area? I want her on the easiest possible trail.

Thanks.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Lots of riders on the wmba.org forum.

The easiest dirt trail through the county is the Old Croton Aquaduct, starts at the Croton Dam, winds its way down to Yonkers.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Graham Hills has a variety of trails, lots of climbing though.

mtbr member
    Not sure where you are exactly, but maybe Mianus on the Greenwich/Stamford border would be worth a casual trip? And you and your GF can stop for some good food, beer or whatever in the area while you're there.

From what I remember, the trails are pretty mellow, but plenty of fun...

All Play
    Sep 2012
    6th element - Thanks. I cant seem to find any maps of the trail though.
    JChasse - I will definitely check it out. Will it be easy enough for even the newest of the new rider?

Here's the OCA, ridden from the Croton Trail station then linked up with the South County Trail once in Yonkers.

All Play
    Sep 2012
    6th element - Thank you!!!!!!

Also, rode Graham Hills the past Saturday. Amazing trails there..

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    silly question from a newbie road rider How the hell do I get to sprain? I'm very familiar with Soutch County trail and north county trail from road biking. In the process of putting together a 29er and was wondering where in the hell I was gonna ride it, I'm pumped to find out there is a place so close by. I'd be either taking a train to van courtland and then riding the trail way or I live on 114th st so I can take metro north out of 125 if that is better

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    silly question from a newbie road rider How the hell do I get to sprain? I'm very familiar with Soutch County trail and north county trail from road biking. In the process of putting together a 29er and was wondering where in the hell I was gonna ride it, I'm pumped to find out there is a place so close by. I'd be either taking a train to van courtland and then riding the trail way or I live on 114th st so I can take metro north out of 125 if that is better
    I think the easiest way from the South County Trail would be to make a right on Farragut Ave, then a quick left taking Saw Mill River Road (9A) North, then make a right onto Jackson Ave and the entrance to Sprain Ridge Park is right on Jackson Ave.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    Awesome, I know exactly where it is now, I play a lot of golf at Sprain Lake and St. Andrews.

I hope I'm not too off topic with this but you guys seem like the best ones to ask. I'm newbie to MTB coming from the Road. I'm a 250lb clydesdale but 6'3" and a personal trainer. I've done a lot of road riding including a tour from NYC to Missouri this past spring and I've also been able to finish with the group at Gimbels so I've got pretty good fitness. I'm putting the finishing touches on my 29er, and I have a SLX crank up front 42/32/24 What do you think I should go with in the back? My touring bike has a deore 44/32/24 on it and I went with an 11/28 in the back and there were times I wished I had a 32 back there but I made it up every hill, there were just some I really had to muscle it up, even in the 24/28 combo. I realize road and MTB are two different animals but also keep in mind the touring bike is 35lbs and was loaded with 50lbs of gear. I feel like for MTB I'm probably going to be fine with an 11/32 cassette as I probably will rarely even need the granny gear but then I'm thinking that if I just go with a 36 tooth in the back I almost certainly will never need the granny gear. What do you guys think? I know I'm walking that line between having nice close gear ratios and having a nice wide range.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    Awesome, I know exactly where it is now, I play a lot of golf at Sprain Lake and St. Andrews.

I hope I'm not too off topic with this but you guys seem like the best ones to ask. I'm newbie to MTB coming from the Road. I'm a 250lb clydesdale but 6'3" and a personal trainer. I've done a lot of road riding including a tour from NYC to Missouri this past spring and I've also been able to finish with the group at Gimbels so I've got pretty good fitness. I'm putting the finishing touches on my 29er, and I have a SLX crank up front 42/32/24 What do you think I should go with in the back? My touring bike has a deore 44/32/24 on it and I went with an 11/28 in the back and there were times I wished I had a 32 back there but I made it up every hill, there were just some I really had to muscle it up, even in the 24/28 combo. I realize road and MTB are two different animals but also keep in mind the touring bike is 35lbs and was loaded with 50lbs of gear. I feel like for MTB I'm probably going to be fine with an 11/32 cassette as I probably will rarely even need the granny gear but then I'm thinking that if I just go with a 36 tooth in the back I almost certainly will never need the granny gear. What do you guys think? I know I'm walking that line between having nice close gear ratios and having a nice wide range.
    I woulg get an 11 or 12-34.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What kind of tires are you guys riding on at a place like sprain? Got my 29er complete and have gone out there several times now, most recently monday. it wasn't that wet out but a few slightly muddy spots and I was all over the place with my Geax Mezcals (which are definately more of a dry racy, xc tire) FWIW, I'm a 250lb clydesdale, tough to commit to carrying speed into a corner if you think your front end is gonna keep going straight!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I like Schwalbe Hans Damf and Kenda Nevegal . Dont have a 29er myself, but I'm pretty sure these are available in that size. Something with a sticky compound would be good choice because of rocks, roots and the conditions we ride here in the north east.