Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Anyone around Syracuse, NY?

I live near Syracuse, NY. I was wondering if there is anyone else around here.

Mike

mtbr member
    I've met some guys who go to Syracuse University and ride at Skytop, check those trails out. I tend to hit them once a month when the weather is decent, I'm out there for work. Hit me up if you want to meet up for a ride.
    Central Mass Fat Tire Club - Look us up on Facebook for weekly ride postings!

mtbr member
    Sweet, I need to get in some sort of shape before i can go with regulars.

dwt
    mtbr member
    I'm local. Of course right about now we are x-c skiing on all the trails we will be riding - hopefully soon, IF we have a dry spring.

Skytop is among the best around as far as rocky technical and man-made stuff such as wooden bridges, drops and gaps. Plus, it dries out sooner and better than most other places. The only problem is that most of it is poaching on private property. Periodically the cops patrol and ticket, especially after some yahoo on a 4 wheeler crashes and burns and makes the news.

The best "legal" place is Shindagin Hollow near Ithaca. A paradise of single track, man made, and technical. Can get muddy however.

Highland Forest is the second best legal place - and closer to Syracuse . Plenty of trails and many built (legally) by mountain bikers for mountain bikers. Also tends to get wet and muddy, especially spring and fall.

Check this site out for trail suggestions:
    http://bikeloft.com/page.cfm?PageID=257
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I live in Clay (just north) I have never been to skytop but have heard a lot about it. I will def be hitting it up once it warms up. I have been to highland, and it was REALLY muddy. It hadn't rained in a week but that didn't matter. Still a great time. I am done to ride whenever its warm. Hit me up.

mtbr member
    I am glad there are a couple people who live around me. I'd like to go riding with ya if you don't mind. I've been trying to go out riding when I can and the weather is warmer and sunny.

Mike

dwt
    mtbr member
    If you live in Clay, stop off at the Bike Loft on South Bay Rd. in North Syracuse. They have all kinds of maps and trail suggestions. Also do a group ride every Sunday.

mtbr member
    Who would I contact about the group rides on sundays?

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracerprix
    Who would I contact about the group rides on sundays?
    http://bikeloft.com/articles/dirt-ri...endar-pg38.htm

mtbr member
    Thanks, I wonder if they are still doing rides when it is cold and snowy.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracerprix
    Thanks, I wonder if they are still doing rides when it is cold and snowy.
    Nada. Closed for the season.

mtbr member
    If you live in Clay Great Bear is just a short trip down the road. Its right in the Phoenix/Fulton area. I usually ride there on most Saturdays in the summertime. Mostly singletrack. Not the biggest place or the most difficult but its close, legal, and you can spend a couple hours there and have a good time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm also from Syracuse, started riding at skytop a bit last summer and frequently hit up a few smaller spots around the city. This season I'm planning on checking out the new trails at Greenlakes and getting over to Highland, among the other state parks

mtbr member
    Drummer,

Hey shoot me a PM or something when you decide to go. I am a newbie to mtb but I enjoy it. I need to get into shape more, so don't expect a pro!

Mike

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm in the area and would love to meet folks for rides in the area, Splitrock/Skytop are very easy for me to get to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm at skytop/clarks res at least once a week, and doing road rides to labrador and back around once a month. Pm me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Well I'm From Utica. I tend to go to Willmington Lake Placid area and ride the trails there. Local rides consist of Either nice singletrack in New Hartford Town Park or ATV trails. Woodgate just before old forge has some nice trails also.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamis63 View Post
    Woodgate just before old forge has some nice trails also.
    Where in Woodgate? Still in Old Forge and tired of riding the same trails in Eagle Bay. Recently have been going down to Shindagin Hollow and Highland, long drives but worth it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It's woodhull state forest

Formerly of Kent
    What can you guys tell me about Lake Placid?

I'm looking to find some places to ride before the weather gets too bad this year. Don't mind a good drive, either. I would make a weekend of it, and do some camping out there as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    There are four or five good trail systems. If you go to placidplanet.com there are some good descriptions.

Local Bike Routes - Placid Planet Bicycles | Lake Placid, New York | Ironman Cervelo Orbea Felt Cannondale Santa Cruz Kona

And there are my favorite trails which are the hardy rd trails in Wilmington.

There is good local trail group that are contsantly updating and adding on.

mtbr member
    Info about Wilmington trails here.

mtbr member
    I camped at the Wilmington KOA a couple of weekends ago and rode the flume trails right from the campsite. The trails were in great shape with a lot a new bridges and skinnys.

Also rode the Logger/Lussi trails that are around the Lake Placid Golf Club for the first time. These trails are fantastic, well-built and maintained with easy to expert riding. Started on the Cinderella Story trail (a lot of the trail names are from Caddyshack). I haven't tried the Hardy Road trails yet, but hear they are awesome.

You can get maps to all these trails here, Home | Barkeater Trails Alliance Best Adirondack Mountain Bike Trails , if you donate $35. Also, High Peaks Cyclery, will give you good info on the local trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Im thinking of riding in Shindagin Hollow on Friday if things dry up a bit. Baby Saturday. Kevin

mtbr member
    With the recent rain Shindagin should be slippy and muddy, fun trail system thou.

Any word on trails closer to 'Cuse? Just moved and the bikes are begging for some use.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast