mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Adirondack Trails near Fish Creek

Wondering if anyone knows of any trails close (within an hour drive) of Fish Creek?

Whitewater powerboater
    Sep 2009
    Deer Pond Loop Trail | Adirondack Bike Trails | Franklin County, NY

This is a fun ride. Just down route 30 by Tupper Lake.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Looks good thanks, anything longer?

I did find this pdf (http://lakeplacidmedia.com/uploads/P...ikeEssexCo.pdf) but all the trails are <4 miles.

EDIT: Also, is this the parking:
    Deer Pond Loop Trailhead

Whitewater powerboater
    Sep 2009
    Yep, thats the right trailhead. Check out the Barkeaters Trail Alliance website for loads of information on good riding in the Lake Placid / Saranac region.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarface View Post
    Yep, thats the right trailhead. Check out the Barkeaters Trail Alliance website for loads of information on good riding in the Lake Placid / Saranac region.
    Cool thanks... I'd like to get out twice maybe on some 14+ mile trails.

If anyone want to show me around I'll be camping from july 9th (ish) to 13th(ish) I say ish because we are going and leave a day or so before or after those days.

EDIT: Trails | Barkeater Trails Alliance Best Adirondack Mountain Bike Trails gotta pay to see trails... hm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    anyone got a GPS file of a ride in the area?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by oritkis View Post
    anyone got a GPS file of a ride in the area?
    thanks
    I will in a couple weeks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Deer Pond Loop is definitely worth doing for the destination. You've also got the Otter Hollow Loop and Floodwood Loop rides right there in the Fish Creek Campground. Combined these would get close to your target mileage. Also, if you go to Lake Placid, there is the "Logger's Loop" trails just outside of town. High Peaks Cyclery can provide you with maps.

I did all of the above last summer when I was there. The Deer Pond and Fish Creek trails are more old-school, Wild Forest, rugged trails, with lots of roots. The Logger's Loop trails are more purpose-built for MTB. I enjoyed both on my 29" HT, but the roots did give me a workout, especially on the last part of the Floodwood Trail.

There also are trails at Whiteface and "the Flume" trails in Wilmington which look worth checking out.

Fish Creek Pond Campground - Biking
    Adirondack Mountain Biking Trails | Franklin County, NY

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TedS123 View Post
    Deer Pond Loop is definitely worth doing for the destination. You've also got the Otter Hollow Loop and Floodwood Loop rides right there in the Fish Creek Campground. Combined these would get close to your target mileage. Also, if you go to Lake Placid, there is the "Logger's Loop" trails just outside of town. High Peaks Cyclery can provide you with maps.

I did all of the above last summer when I was there. The Deer Pond and Fish Creek trails are more old-school, Wild Forest, rugged trails, with lots of roots. The Logger's Loop trails are more purpose-built for MTB. I enjoyed both on my 29" HT, but the roots did give me a workout, especially on the last part of the Floodwood Trail.

There also are trails at Whiteface and "the Flume" trails in Wilmington which look worth checking out.

Fish Creek Pond Campground - Biking
    Adirondack Mountain Biking Trails | Franklin County, NY
    Cool thanks, I checked out Flume when we visited last month (minus my mtb), quite a bit of traffic on there... seemed decent. I also checked out the Floodwood loop a little, hiking with fam, and looked promising. I LOVE roots and rocks (have some good gardens here) and think Deer sounds like my kinda trail. I'll probably end up hitting that and the Creek stuff, thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I just went to the Fish Pond Truck Trail, and it was pretty cool (not really technical, though). I say go to the DEC website and download the "Mountain Bike Trails" Google Earth File, and start knocking them off.

Also, I'll be up around that time that you'll be there, and I might be able to show you the stuff I found so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mattchuck2 View Post
    I just went to the Fish Pond Truck Trail, and it was pretty cool (not really technical, though). I say go to the DEC website and download the "Mountain Bike Trails" Google Earth File, and start knocking them off.

Also, I'll be up around that time that you'll be there, and I might be able to show you the stuff I found so far.
    Cool, thanks... some good info on the google earth. I was hoping for some single track technical stuff with Fish Pond but I'll take it. I think I'll probably ride next wed and/or thurs. Typically I ride in the mornings but let me know your schedule. I'll PM ya my phone number.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The DEC site is great - thanks for sharing

mtbr member
    The Loggers Loop in Lake Placid is a network of great techy mt. bike trails that have quadrupled in the last year or so. If you check out the Barkeaters web site, or go to High Peaks Cyclery, you can find trail maps. All trails have been recently marked. An advanced rider could spend over 5 hours riding all different single-track. Sometimes I see a group on my rides, but most of the time just my dog and myself.

With all of the loop options you kind of feel as if you are a few hours out. However, you're never more than an 1/2 an hour from a trail head. 1 1/2 hours, 2 1/14 hours, so many options on rides! Most of the trails are named after Caddyshack references. I usually take Billy Barule, to Twisted Sister to Varmit Kong, to Nite Putting, to Judge Smails, etc...

10 miles or more here should give most riders a nice workout and a killer mt. biking experience worth traveling for!
    Downhill Mike
    Whiteface Mountain Bike Park
    www.downhillmike.com
    Open 7 days a week!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by downhill mike View Post
    The Loggers Loop in Lake Placid is a network of great techy mt. bike trails that have quadrupled in the last year or so. If you check out the Barkeaters web site, or go to High Peaks Cyclery, you can find trail maps. All trails have been recently marked. An advanced rider could spend over 5 hours riding all different single-track. Sometimes I see a group on my rides, but most of the time just my dog and myself.

With all of the loop options you kind of feel as if you are a few hours out. However, you're never more than an 1/2 an hour from a trail head. 1 1/2 hours, 2 1/14 hours, so many options on rides! Most of the trails are named after Caddyshack references. I usually take Billy Barule, to Twisted Sister to Varmit Kong, to Nite Putting, to Judge Smails, etc...

10 miles or more here should give most riders a nice workout and a killer mt. biking experience worth traveling for!
    Cool thanks, ya I've noticed that there's no set loops. Here we have loops that are 2 to 26 miles, with an average of 10 or so... and they all vary in difficultly. I'll check out the couple that are close by and be back next year for more. It took me about 3-4 years to find trails in VT since most is on private land and the locals don't give up the good spots easily (got a story about driving behind a car with FS rigs and followed them to a trailhead where they told me that there wasn't trails in that area ha...). Here we only have so many trails and it seems that our people love showing off what we do have.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    im headed up this way ill be there on wednesday looking for some people to ride with ill be there till the 20th deff gonna be hitting up some of these trails for sure, im staying right across the street from deer pond

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dabeetereater View Post
    im headed up this way ill be there on wednesday looking for some people to ride with ill be there till the 20th deff gonna be hitting up some of these trails for sure, im staying right across the street from deer pond
    Cool, I will be riding Wed and Thurs... staying at Fish Creek till Sat. I'll PM ya my number, reception isn't too good there for me but Wed I'll be doing the Deer Pond Loop in the morning, then the ones by Fish Creek on Thurs morning.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    cool good deal man ill shoot ya a text when i get up that way, or maybe thursday am ill meet ya at fish creek if i cant get ahold of ya, i also want to ride from there over to the top of whiteface and back down and have my friends pick me up at the bottom

mtbr member
    Regarding the Loggers Loops trails. I would not be surprised if over $1,000,000.00 has recently been spent with grant money, volunteer hours and supervised prisoner work.

Here is a picture of some recent berm work behind Craigwood Golf Course. They brought in a mini excavator for this section:

You should see the new sections on the Hardy Road Trail in Wilmington. This has been a huge movement here in the last 3 years! Thanks again Barkeaters.

Nothing wrong with Deep Pond or Fish Creek, but trails in Lake Placid and Wilmington have gotten unbelievable here recently. I no longer feel the need to drive to Moab or out west to ride my trail bike. Lake Placid and Wilmington have become some of the best riding in the country now!
    Downhill Mike
    Whiteface Mountain Bike Park
    www.downhillmike.com
    Open 7 days a week!

mtbr member

Rollins pond

I have been to fish creek twice. I have found that you have to go to Rollins pond wich is conected to fish creek. Those trails are real fun but its a whole day trip.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    man that looks sweet cant wait to ride there !!

mtbr member
    this may be too late, but i am fairly confident that Paul Smiths college just took over land from the state a year or two ago around their lake that has a few miles (not sure how many) of trails that they are now allowing bikes on. may be worth checking out if you are in the area.
    Trek Fuel EX 6
    Cannondale F5
    Felt Z100

My photos