mtbr member
    Apr 2008

5 borough riders, where do you ride?

Living in Brookyln I get incredibly frustrated with no trails nearby. Outside of Cunnigham trails, it's a pain in the ass to drive anywhere else. Bronx, I don't want to ride up there, and Manhattan, well I work in Manhattan and I don't want to go anywhere near it on my days off or when I ride. Staten Island and Jersey are too far with tolls added on. I'm started to lose interest in something that I enjoy all because of the lack of availability to trails. Sometimes I wish I lived out West just for riding purposes.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I live in jersey, and i have plenty of trails close by but yet i still think it would be cool to ride in central park

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    long island has plenty of trails

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by donny939
    I live in jersey, and i have plenty of trails close by but yet i still think it would be cool to ride in central park
    no thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fixmefixmyhead
    long island has plenty of trails
    yea but they're not close. i don't know. it's just alot easier to stay into the sport when you have better access to trails.

Freeriding Feline
    I guess if you don't want to drive it will be tough.
    Westchester has some great spots and it's true, Long Island has some awesome singletrack.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Prospect Park

I have the same problem you got, Prospect Park is the best you will get in Brooklyn,

Check this out: MTB trails in Prospect Park

those are Rollercams...
    You're living in the biggest CITY in the world yet you're whining that you can't ride into the wilderness from your front door. Sorry, you can't have it all your way, there's some good riding within a relatively short drive, you can avail yourself of it if you're truly interested in riding and if you're not, there's ebay or craigslist.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I live in queens and usually ride at Cunningham. Stillwell is actually not too far from me and Bethpage is quite reasonable as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    You're living in the biggest CITY in the world yet you're whining that you can't ride into the wilderness from your front door. Sorry, you can't have it all your way, there's some good riding within a relatively short drive, you can avail yourself of it if you're truly interested in riding and if you're not, there's ebay or craigslist.
    i guess i'm caught in between eh? i live in brooklyn because i'm close to work and i have a good deal going on rent, yet i hate living in the city and not being close to trails.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    whats wrong with ridin in central park

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Is there a MTB trail in central park?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i don't know of any trails in central park and parking anywhere near central park or in manhattan for that matter sucks. too much aggravation going into manhattan.

Recovering
    No one said living in NYC was easy. There are lots of great options for riding, if you're willing to put a bit of work in, from Long Island to Westchester to New Jersey (Long Island and Westchester trails are all accessible without paying tolls, btw).

Personally, I prefer commuting out to the trails once a week on the weekends rather than commuting into the city 5 days a week for work. As much as I'd like to live closer to trails outside the city, the math never works out.

But if you think going into Manhattan to ride is too much trouble, then I'm not sure any of the options listed are going to work for you.
    Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    NYC does not stand on a mountain, so thumbs up big time for those who designed and maintain parks like Cunningham or Highbridge. I just moved from Northern NJ, where there is great riding to be had, and where I'm willing to go at least once a week, pay the tolls and hit the traffic. However, I had no idea before moving here that in this flat city riding can be so much fun. I also work in Manhattan, and depending on how I feel, I will ride to work, and then hit either one of the two aforementioned parks. It is true that it's not very convenient, but the sacrifice is well worth as long as I can ride. It's about priorities!
    I started MTB just a bit over two years ago and it changed my life so much that I can't imagine quitting just because I don't have trails within walking distance.
    Then again being close or far is relative...for some Blue Mtn. might be far, but for how great this park is, I still consider it close enough and I am happy that I'm only about an hour away from it.
    Now go out and ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Nothing legal in Central Park. If I'm not mistaken Inwood Hill Park will be opening for us this year too. Should be a bit more rideable distance than Highbridge and should also be quieter.

I never though much about them but what about Alley Pond and Kings Point parks? Anything worth riding there?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I don't think Alley pond has any trails. All paved.

Kissena Park has some really tight hiking trails you can try out.

A recent thread had us petition for Hyde Park

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by arielDB
    No legal off-road riding in Central Park these days. To the poster who mentioned Alley Pond Park, it was the hot spot for off-road riding in Queens at one time but it's off limits too.

I currently live just outside Philadelphia which has killer riding in Fairmount, Wissahickon and Penny Pack Parks, all within the city limits and accessible to all.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

Recovering
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover
    Nothing legal in Central Park. If I'm not mistaken Inwood Hill Park will be opening for us this year too. Should be a bit more rideable distance than Highbridge and should also be quieter.
    You are mistaken- there are no plans to open Inwood Hill Park to bikes. It's the last stand of native forest in Manhattan, and there's no way Parks will ever allow bikes in there.

As far as rideable distance goes, Inwood Hill Park and Highbridge are only about 3 blocks apart on Dyckman. Are you confused about where Highbridge is?
    Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com

likes beer.
    I'm in Astoria...orig from BK...I usually ride Cunningham but have been venturing out to Stillwell more and more. It's a bit of a trek but worth the change of scenery.

Singletrack Slayer
    If you are wondering if blue is worth the drive, stop wondering, and just ride it! Great trails!

mtbr member
    I have to say LI has some of the best trails from a quick drive from Queens.I Use to hit up the green belt all the time. What a great place for sure.I do have to say i kind of miss riding out there. I just wish the snow stopped all ready to open Winter Park all ready.
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I live in Queens and ride Cunny when ever I don't have to time to get out east...but for the most part I try to get out east and ride Stillwell, Bethpage and Glacier Ridge. GR is a great trail worth the trip every time...also a ride starting from Bethpage to Stillwell and back is a lot of fun...try it...

Never tried Blue Mountain but will soon...maybe this weekend...

Singletrack Slayer
    Quote Originally Posted by pp-tso
    I live in Queens and ride Cunny when ever I don't have to time to get out east...but for the most part I try to get out east and ride Stillwell, Bethpage and Glacier Ridge. GR is a great trail worth the trip every time...also a ride starting from Bethpage to Stillwell and back is a lot of fun...try it...

Never tried Blue Mountain but will soon...maybe this weekend...
    I think you'll enjoy it!
    Be sure to grab a trail map though!

http://wmba.org/Maps.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks the link Lastshot....

Map printed will throw in my car for this Saturday morning ride...