mtbr member

4x4 Trouble @ 909

There's a size XL asshat thats been using a winch to clear trails for more vehicles to drive on. Unfortunately this leads to more trash like broken glass deeper in the woods, and target shooting with unknowing riders & hikers around.

The latest victim was the Timbuktu trail, which uses parts of an old logging road that was reverting to singletrack for the last 1.5 years. The DEC had even helped place the log at the top to stop motorized entrance, and others had carefully placed more blocking debris. Thats all gone now, & it is looking like a road again. So is Anthill, Horseshoe, & a few other trails.

If you can take a minute out of your rides to reset some of the debris it would be a big help. Vehicles are only allowed on the main road from the parking lots, and then down to bottom of the Watchamacallit trail. Above that is the Snowmobile trails (one goes into Pond Gut, past Fisher) & those are closed to all motorized vehicles except snowmobiles.
    Last edited by pedaler845; 08-27-2011 at 07:48 AM.

a once and future expert
    This is truly sad. I would like to think your current post count # (909) is a good omen that these wankers would take a hint. Aren't there enough nearby power line trails they can fool around on? What more deterrence can be done?! Timbuktu is/was a trail that I literally dream about.

mtbr member
    Its an ongoing battle with the vehicles, and the more riders aware that helping to keep the trails narrow will discourage the 4x4's the better.

Most of the trail is fine for now, it just sucks to see the old road looking like a road again. Of course it sucks more with the trash, etc that comes with that bull$****!

mtbr member
    Plus this ******* lives nearby, so he comes in often @ dark.

Getting his license plate and seeing him/them busted would be priceless.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Attach an IR trail camera to a nearby tree and it will take photo when he trips the motion sensor. Here is one from Cabelas below:

Cabela's: Moultrie 6.0 Outfitter IR Scouting Camera

mtbr member
    I was riding 909 last week and every campsite was trashed from parties. I know budgets are tight but can't the DEC do anything here, maybe surprise raids at night to catch these bastards? A hundred hours or so of maintenance and cleanup time as punishment will have a huge impact.

mtbr member
    The DEC here's from a few people about this on occasion, but I dont think it would be pestering if more of us contacted them. They can ask the local Troopers to do more drive throughs.

And (thanks Chris) this tool looks like another good idea.... 4000 Lb. Capacity Cable Winch Puller

Thanx also for the camera idea.

mtbr member
    It turns out there was & might still be a Taurus camped about 100 yards down from the top of Timbuktu. He probably feels as justified as being there as we do, or didnt know any better. The biggest problem is the mofo doing the winching, and the campers who leave their excrement.
    Thats why Im putting it out there that if riders could take a minute to narrow trails, especially @ the trailheads where vehicles will try & drive in, it'd be a big help.
    Btw, the stone walls are sacred and shouldnt be scavenged much for bloackage.

mtbr member
    Every time I go in there I see another trail "filter" moved out of the way with fresh tracks, whatever we're able to build up they come back and rip it out. I'm all for 4x4ing but on legal lands, off the bike trails and sensitive areas, and as long as they clean up after themselves. These bastards know they're not supposed to be there, it's like a game of cat and mouse. I think the simple task of closing the gates with big thick chains would make a big difference. This was not a real problem when they were all chained and locked. I'll donate the materials with my own money, for georgia's sake please just ask!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    As a member of both sports, MTN biking and 4x4s, I can say that the people I know in the sport of 4x4ing will only go on legal land and most if not all power line trails are not legal for a 4x4. In addition, the group I hang with will clean up our mess and leave the area better than what we found it in.

It only takes one to ruin it for all.

mtbr member
    Every time, and I mean every time I go there they're in the gut, how hard can it be to catch them? You know the campsite parties happen on the weekends at night, so the cops can raid them after everybody's drunk and passed out. I was in the gut three weeks ago and was initially miffed they were down there. I was literally two minutes behind them, but this group seemed to be staying off our trails for the most part, but only because they can't fit through or go over trees that some of us trail builders (and I can't imagine why) think we need to remove. So to this day the gates still remain w-i-d-e open, the campsites are filling with garbage, and now I'm starting to see dumping along the roads. Remember what happened to the montrose station dirt road that intersected blue mountain? The dumping got so bad they put up gates and CLOSED it, without affecting the trails Hello, is anybody listening? 909 is slowly turning from a quiet park we are proud of with nice bike and hike trails into the local dump with no protection or enforcement. If the DEC was really serious about their job this would be a memory by now. Maybe a few emails will light a fire under someones a**.
    Last edited by masterofnone; 06-02-2012 at 02:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Has anyone reported this to the folks at DEC? Call them every time you see something!
    909 is in Region 3, Region 3 Office Directions - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

mtbr member
    deleted
    Last edited by masterofnone; 06-03-2012 at 04:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell13 View Post
    Has anyone reported this to the folks at DEC? Call them every time you see something!
    909 is in Region 3, Region 3 Office Directions - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation
    Thanks for the address, I just sent an email, hopefully we'll get a positive response.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    Thanks for the address, I just sent an email, hopefully we'll get a positive response.
    I suggest getting the regional forester's number, and the local ranger's number. Those are the guys with direct responsibilities for stuff like this. Rangers are the guys on the ground typically tasked with enforcement. If you can get the number for the ranger, they are the ones to call when you're out on the trails.

At least that's how it works up here in region 4.