nimble biker

is there good MTB trails in Adirondack national park?

is there good MTB trails in Adirondack national park?

I know the hiking trails are awesome but what about bike trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Here is something to start you off:
    Barkeater Trails Alliance
    Michael Vitti
    CLIMB President
    www.CLIMBonline.org
    www.IMBA.com
    NY State Trails Council Member

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Whiteface has some sick gravity terrain. Hardcore riders up there.

mtbr member
    Trailforks.
    Word to your mother.

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    The Adirondacks as a whole is huge, what area are you interested in?

Thendara/Old Forge/Inlet has almost nothing, you can do some hiking trails and a trail behind the school in OF that connects to the xc ski trails in McCauley.

Saranac Lake/Lake Placid/Wilmington a ton of places to ride, check the link for Barkeater Alliance posted above. DH Mike in Whiteface is a great guy and is always happy to share info.

Of great help, Trailforks should be.

nimble biker
    I am interested in the area around the trail leading to mount Macy.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

nimble biker
    Lake placid. That is where I went camping

mtbr member
    Use the Trailforks app. BETA maintains that area. They use a different app that kinda sucks.
    Word to your mother.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I cant believe there is so little MTB riding near Old Forge, all my friends with snowmobiles rave about the area and it seems that the sled trails would just automatically turn into MTB trails when the snow melts. I guess it doesnt work like that though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tufftee View Post
    I cant believe there is so little MTB riding near Old Forge, all my friends with snowmobiles rave about the area and it seems that the sled trails would just automatically turn into MTB trails when the snow melts. I guess it doesnt work like that though.
    I don't know about that area in particular, I'm further south but there are well over 100 miles of snowmobile trails directly around me. They are all terrible for riding for numerous reasons. The biggest is they are all typically wet the rest of the year and just big mud pits. Many trails around me are old truck trails, so all the divets in the ground just collect water and in some areas it's almost impossible to even walk around. The trails aren't cleared after winter either, so once springs comes a lot of trails become overgrown.
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That makes sense, I just figured with all the great snowmobiling up there it would indicate great MTB trails too. Ive always wondered about the ADKs for biking since its such a large park. Im gonna head up to Whiteface and check that area out in a few weeks, sounds like they have an active trail group and some cool stuff to check out.

mtbr member
    The snowmobile trails in that area are fine to ride.

They don't get the draw that singletrack does because, well, they ain't singletrack.

The Town of Webb owns a large portion of land north of the Fulton Chain of Lakes (north of Rt 28) that has 100s of miles of snowmobile trail that can be ridden.
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

Quote Originally Posted by tufftee View Post
    There's little no to maintenance for those trails, during the winter they're great for snowmobiles but terrible for anything else. The rest of the year they're abandoned and overgrown, tried riding them while living there and was a waste of time and effort.

Used to do a loop starting at the trails at Cascade lake in Eagle Bay then crossing the street to Moss lake and connecting to Bubb and Sis returning on the sandy snowmobile trails to Eagle Bay and riding the road back to the Cascade parking lot, sounds like a lot but is not. Fern park in Inlet used to have trails but where abandoned.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post

Used to do a loop starting at the trails at Cascade lake in Eagle Bay then crossing the street to Moss lake and connecting to Bubb and Sis returning on the sandy snowmobile trails to Eagle Bay and riding the road back to the Cascade parking lot, sounds like a lot but is not. Fern park in Inlet used to have trails but where abandoned.
    Don't ride Cascade, it's not legal, that is in a Wilderness area. Moss and Bub & Sis are legal.

The trails I'm talking about are OK if they get ridden. If you let them go through summer they will get grassed in. The Town of Webb does a fair deal of maintenance on the ones they own because they charge fees for winter sled use.

Fern park has not been abandoned either. It's the same deal, and I've ridden them in late summer and they weren't grassed in, people had hiked and ridden them enough. They still groomed them in the winter for XC skiing, so blowdown and such is removed yearly.

Other stuff I have ridden in that area is the Bug lake trail to Uncas Rd from Eighth Lake Campground. It's a snowmobile trail but it's dry and doesn't grass in. You can loop and cut through the Black Bear Mtn trail to get back to 28 (not up the Mtn, but the lower cut through which is a ski trail). That's a pretty big loop, probably 20 miles, half trail, half rd.

I've ridden the ski trails at McCauley. They don't maintain the singletrack ones so they are all leafed up and a bit hard to follow. I had no issue riding them with cross tires, but fat bike would probably be the ticket as it's a bit of bushwhacking.

The other snowmobile trail that is a pretty good ride is Mitchell Ponds loop in Moose River Plains. I forget the mileage, but it's not that far. Only about 1/3-1/2 is trail, and some of it is an old forest road. The snowmobile trail section is pretty fun for a snowmobile trail. It's fairly dry and it's a longish descent. I'd recommend riding clockwise as the descent is more fun (actually two, one on Moose River Plains dirt road which is long and fast enough to be kind of scary for a dirt road).

There's a couple other smaller loops that can be done, one near Big Moose via Safford Pond and back down Big Moose Rd.

One that I haven't ridden in a long time, but is probably the most challenging in the trail systems near Nicks Lake off of Bisby Rd. It starts off as snowmobile trail but at some point transitions to hiking trail. It's not particularly muddy but there are a few spots to be wary of. I remember riding all the way out to Remsen falls once, and that was a challenging ride at the time. The first bit is easy though.

There are also trails that can be ridden in Black River Wild Forest a bit farther south of Old Forge, but some of them are pretty poor. A lot of really bad mud sections. Some is good though and can be ridden. I haven't done it recently enough to give a good guide though. I wouldn't have high expectations and I'd just go explore, if you hit a bad section, turn around and try another one. There are a number of snowmobile trails in through there.

7th Lake mountain trail is rideable, but the plan is to run singletrack adjacent to it to make it more bike friendly.

So yes, there is stuff to ride, but hopefully this new trail system will be built which will add on to the few existing decent trails with some singletrack.

Quote Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
    Don't ride Cascade, it's not legal, that is in a Wilderness area. Moss and Bub & Sis are legal.

The trails I'm talking about are OK if they get ridden. If you let them go through summer they will get grassed in. The Town of Webb does a fair deal of maintenance on the ones they own because they charge fees for winter sled use.

Fern park has not been abandoned either. It's the same deal, and I've ridden them in late summer and they weren't grassed in, people had hiked and ridden them enough. They still groomed them in the winter for XC skiing, so blowdown and such is removed yearly.

Other stuff I have ridden in that area is the Bug lake trail to Uncas Rd from Eighth Lake Campground. It's a snowmobile trail but it's dry and doesn't grass in. You can loop and cut through the Black Bear Mtn trail to get back to 28 (not up the Mtn, but the lower cut through which is a ski trail). That's a pretty big loop, probably 20 miles, half trail, half rd.

I've ridden the ski trails at McCauley. They don't maintain the singletrack ones so they are all leafed up and a bit hard to follow. I had no issue riding them with cross tires, but fat bike would probably be the ticket as it's a bit of bushwhacking.

The other snowmobile trail that is a pretty good ride is Mitchell Ponds loop in Moose River Plains. I forget the mileage, but it's not that far. Only about 1/3-1/2 is trail, and some of it is an old forest road. The snowmobile trail section is pretty fun for a snowmobile trail. It's fairly dry and it's a longish descent. I'd recommend riding clockwise as the descent is more fun (actually two, one on Moose River Plains dirt road which is long and fast enough to be kind of scary for a dirt road).

There's a couple other smaller loops that can be done, one near Big Moose via Safford Pond and back down Big Moose Rd.

One that I haven't ridden in a long time, but is probably the most challenging in the trail systems near Nicks Lake off of Bisby Rd. It starts off as snowmobile trail but at some point transitions to hiking trail. It's not particularly muddy but there are a few spots to be wary of. I remember riding all the way out to Remsen falls once, and that was a challenging ride at the time. The first bit is easy though.

There are also trails that can be ridden in Black River Wild Forest a bit farther south of Old Forge, but some of them are pretty poor. A lot of really bad mud sections. Some is good though and can be ridden. I haven't done it recently enough to give a good guide though. I wouldn't have high expectations and I'd just go explore, if you hit a bad section, turn around and try another one. There are a number of snowmobile trails in through there.

7th Lake mountain trail is rideable, but the plan is to run singletrack adjacent to it to make it more bike friendly.

So yes, there is stuff to ride, but hopefully this new trail system will be built which will add on to the few existing decent trails with some singletrack.
    Don't worry, left Old Forge about six years ago and haven't been back with a bike.

Never saw a no bikes allowed sign at Cascade during my time there, trails with the no bikes sign are always a no no.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Don't worry, left Old Forge about six years ago and haven't been back with a bike.

Never saw a no bikes allowed sign at Cascade during my time there, trails with the no bikes sign are always a no no.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    They don't put no bike signs for Wilderness units, it's supposed to be known that bikes aren't allowed in Wilderness. Cascade, and that whole side of Big Moose Rd to Raquette lake is Pigeon Lakes Wilderness.

This is what you'll usually see at a Wilderness boundary:

Name:  ea229aa1c8df9cc0ac2e031676b7c5b9.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  17.0 KB

As silly as it seems, that also means bikes.

The only place you'll see no bike signs in the Adirondacks is areas where bikes are allowed but limited to specific trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Lake placid. That is where I went camping

There is a decent amount of riding in the Lake Placid area, but not around the trails that lead to Mt Marcy. That is all wilderness and bikes are not allowed in there.

Just check out the trails section on the Barkeater Trail Alliance's website. All are easy to get to from Lake Placid.
    Barkeater Trails Alliance - Home