Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Riding with a dog

982 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Not So Fast 
#1 ·
Whats the conscensious with riding with your dog - assuming he stays pretty close and is not threat to attack anyone?

Is it rude/incosiderate/dangerous for the dog or all good?

#2 ·
Assuming you pup is in shape and it's not to hot out it's all good. Having control 100% of the time is key to avoiding any conflicts. I have been riding with my dog in many different places (TX,MD,VA,AZ) and for the most part everyone I have met on the trail was fine with it. I once caused a fellow dog owner to fall flat on her face due to her two hounds yarding her over when they saw me and mine coming down the trail. I apologized but she was fine and blamed her excited dogs. I just moved to N.J in Nov and have since taken my dog with me to Allaire and have had no problems save for a couple of bums who were more affriad of the dog than vise verse. If it's a busy trail I make it a point to go early in the am like say 7 am that way it's a safe bet that the trails won't be to crowded. Just make sure you have plenty of water, a leash just incase and watch his/her paws for cuts. It's great fun because you always have a riding partner. Good luck

#3 ·
lack of reliable riding partners has had me take my dog out a few times this year (first year I've done it)

my dog does real well with it, but hes very highly trained and can be taken on walks without a leash under normal conditions
however I still will pick the least populated sections of trails to ride just to be considerate to others

I try to keep the pace slower, I take more frequent breaks, and I bring one of those disposable ziplock rubermade type of dishes for him to drink outof on breaks

its worked pretty well so far, but he's pushing 12 now so I don't push him much , I do wish I started doing it sooner though

#4 ·
Skow / Vrei

Thanks for the feedback. My lab is almost two now and we have been taking him hiking off leash with us since he was vaccinated and he is very good about staying within eyesight. If anything he runs ahead down the trail so being on a bike I should be able to keep better pace with him :) Will probably go once or twice with my wife on foot and me on bike to get him used to it. Looking to hit Ringwood as I'm have hiked with him in the past there. Any additional feedback about good spots or tricks to keep him close would be greatly appreciated - definetly agree with going early morning to advoid heat and crowds.

Maybe we will see you and your pooches out there.

#5 ·
Dogs and the trail

This can be the best for the dog and the mater, if the dog is trained well and stays within sight. My biggest advice is start slow and cant stress enough about water. Dogs need a lot! Esp with the warm weather coming on.

#6 ·
Just remember the regs...

You should also check with the regs for the park you're in. For example, in Morris County parks (e.g. Lew Mo, Tourne, Mahlon, etc), all dogs must be on a leash. Not that everyone adheres to the rule, but you can get cited if Park Police see the dog "free-walking";) I was once bitten by a Doberman in Lewis Morris when he perceived me as a threat to his owners, who were MTB'ers coming from the trail up ahead of me. They were very apologetic, and agreed to leash him going forward, but a few weeks later I saw them up at Mahlon, same dog, no leash. A dog not on a leash was also mauled at Mahlon by a bear not too long ago..another reason to keep them close to you.

Not sure what the regs are in the State Parks (e.g. Ringwood, Wawayanda, etc), but these are usually larger parks with more room to roam and less patrolling.

#7 ·
Bugeye: where'd you hear about the dog about Mahlon getting mauled by a bear? Is there a link you can provide? I'm always concerned of that very thing when I have my pup in the woods and basic consensus from others is that the bear would run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.