Love 2 Ride; Ride 2 Live

Looking for Fellow WNY Riders

As the title says, I'm looking for people in WNY to ride with!
    Started riding on 05/01/16
    Riding a heavily upgraded Trek Marlin 5 29er

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    I'm in Syracuse

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Buffalo!

Love 2 Ride; Ride 2 Live
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    I'm in Syracuse
    Awe, that's a little far.

Do you come out around Buffalo a lot to ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Branner View Post
    Buffalo!
    Nice! Where do you like to ride?

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumsXO View Post
    Do you come out around Buffalo a lot to ride?
    Never been that far, usually stay around 'Cuse but sometimes drive for about 1hr to ride stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Drums: I just got back into biking after ~20 years off. When weather permits I ride to work and we ride as a family around Williamsville. I just picked up a roof rack and am planning to head up to Ellicottville to check things out there. Bike and Bean in EVille does a Monday night ride that starts at 6:00pm in front of the shop. I'm super psyched to check out EVille because I've heard nothing but great things about it. We also own a place there so I can spend the night if too tired! Lastly, I also joined WNYMBA and they have a Wednesday night all skills ride at Sprague Brook Park in Glenwood, NY (~35 minute ride from Williamsville). The link can be found by Googling "meetup, ny".

Where are you and where do you ride?

Love 2 Ride; Ride 2 Live
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Never been that far, usually stay around 'Cuse but sometimes drive for about 1hr to ride stuff.
    Ah, okay. I've never been to Syracuse, actually.

Drums: I just got back into biking after ~20 years off. When weather permits I ride to work and we ride as a family around Williamsville. I just picked up a roof rack and am planning to head up to Ellicottville to check things out there. Bike and Bean in EVille does a Monday night ride that starts at 6:00pm in front of the shop. I'm super psyched to check out EVille because I've heard nothing but great things about it. We also own a place there so I can spend the night if too tired! Lastly, I also joined WNYMBA and they have a Wednesday night all skills ride at Sprague Brook Park in Glenwood, NY (~35 minute ride from Williamsville). The link can be found by Googling "meetup, ny".

Where are you and where do you ride?
    Yeah, I've heard Ellicottville is an awesome place for MTB. I'm stoked to head there some time! It won't be for a while though, since I'm still new to MTB and not conditioned for the harder stuff.

Ooh, that ride at Sprague Brook sounds awesome! I was just there today!

I'm in North Collins. I ride around town here every night after work, and up at the short (~0.63 mile) trail at the local town park here as well. There's a place called Franklin Gulf County Park right up the road too, but the trails there are gonna be too much for me for a little while. I wanna ride there though!

Oh, and Hunter's Creek Park in East Aurora is on my list too, once I'm better conditioned! I can see myself going to Sprague a lot on my days off though, since it's not too far from me, and has trails that push me, but not too far or too hard.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by drumsxo View Post
    ah, okay. I've never been to syracuse, actually.

Yeah, i've heard ellicottville is an awesome place for mtb. I'm stoked to head there some time! It won't be for a while though, since i'm still new to mtb and not conditioned for the harder stuff.

Ooh, that ride at sprague brook sounds awesome! I was just there today! :d

I'm in north collins. I ride around town here every night after work, and up at the short (~0.63 mile) trail at the local town park here as well. There's a place called franklin gulf county park right up the road too, but the trails there are gonna be too much for me for a little while. I wanna ride there though!

Oh, and hunter's creek park in east aurora is on my list too, once i'm better conditioned! I can see myself going to sprague a lot on my days off though, since it's not too far from me, and has trails that push me, but not too far or too hard.
    Drums: There are trails for all levels in Ellicottville, I wouldn't let your conditioning/ability worry you.. I'm not! Be sure to stop at Bike and Bean and pick up a trail map. Dennis, the owner, is a nice guy and is very helpful! They have GREAT burritos as well!!!

How would you describe the terrain at Sprague Brook?

Love 2 Ride; Ride 2 Live
    Drums: There are trails for all levels in Ellicottville, I wouldn't let your conditioning/ability worry you.. I'm not! Be sure to stop at Bike and Bean and pick up a trail map. Dennis, the owner, is a nice guy and is very helpful! They have GREAT burritos as well!!!

How would you describe the terrain at Sprague Brook?
    That's good to know! Now I feel a little less hesitant to check it out (Ellicottville, I mean)!

Sprague Brook's terrain is relatively dry (or at least it was while I was there), and pretty bumpy. From what little of the main Sprague Brook Park Trail I rode, it seemed like nothing but Root Garden after Root Garden, lol. Not that that's a bad thing though; Root Gardens can be fun!

I enjoyed myself though; very much so! It's tough terrain, but the easier trails are just easy enough for beginners like myself to ride them and have a great time without overdoing it.

Team Awesome
    There are also some good trails in Gerry, NY known as the "Harris hill extension "

The brook and ellicottville are both great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love 2 Ride; Ride 2 Live
    Quote Originally Posted by playpunk View Post
    There are also some good trails in Gerry, NY known as the "Harris hill extension "

The brook and ellicottville are both great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I checked the map of those trails out on the WNYMBA website. They look nice! I'll make it out there eventually, I'm sure. There's so many trails to ride, and so little time!

Wanna ride bikes?
    +1 Meetup
    +1 Bike and Bean in E-ville for bike and food stuff, good beer is right across the street at the EBC brewery.

i'm in Rochester and there is a fairly active Meetup community that covers all ability levels. good place to meet people with similar abilities and learn new trails.

E-ville is really cool, lots of rocky trails, like rock garden after rock garden. only been there once but had a blast, did a 34 mile loop. broke my shift cable on a rock half way through and had to do the zip tie singlespeed conversion to get back to the car. full suspension is advised if you ride the trails i rode. i'm looking forward to going back and exploring more.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Love 2 Ride; Ride 2 Live
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    +1 Meetup
    +1 Bike and Bean in E-ville for bike and food stuff, good beer is right across the street at the EBC brewery.

i'm in Rochester and there is a fairly active Meetup community that covers all ability levels. good place to meet people with similar abilities and learn new trails.

E-ville is really cool, lots of rocky trails, like rock garden after rock garden. only been there once but had a blast, did a 34 mile loop. broke my shift cable on a rock half way through and had to do the zip tie singlespeed conversion to get back to the car. full suspension is advised if you ride the trails i rode. i'm looking forward to going back and exploring more.
    That might put Ellicottvile out of my reach for quite some time. I won't be able to afford a full suspension for god only knows how long.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    The majority of riders there (Ellicottville) ride hardtails. I'm sure full suspension will help in most conditions but I've only seen a few there. Check out bike and beans FB page, the owner ride a hard tail as do most of his customers/riders. You'll even see a few fat bikes year round there! Wink, wink.. As for Ellicottville Brewery... Yes, great beer, but crappy food. Give The Gin Mill a try for a post ride brew and burger, highly recommended!! The beauty of Eville is there's something for everyone, we take our kids riding there.

Love 2 Ride; Ride 2 Live
    The majority of riders there (Ellicottville) ride hardtails. I'm sure full suspension will help in most conditions but I've only seen a few there. Check out bike and beans FB page, the owner ride a hard tail as do most of his customers/riders. You'll even see a few fat bikes year round there! Wink, wink.. As for Ellicottville Brewery... Yes, great beer, but crappy food. Give The Gin Mill a try for a post ride brew and burger, highly recommended!! The beauty of Eville is there's something for everyone, we take our kids riding there.
    Thanks for the tips!

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumsXO View Post
    That might put Ellicottvile out of my reach for quite some time. I won't be able to afford a full suspension for god only knows how long.
    that wasn't my goal to deter you. you should definitely go. it's beautiful and the trails are a ton of fun!

i went on a hardtail and all my friends were on FS, i just had to hike a few more sections than they did, but we all had to hike a few sections. I'm sure there are plenty of trails that aren't as brutal as what we rode.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Love 2 Ride; Ride 2 Live
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    that wasn't my goal to deter you. you should definitely go. it's beautiful and the trails are a ton of fun!

i went on a hardtail and all my friends were on FS, i just had to hike a few more sections than they did, but we all had to hike a few sections. I'm sure there are plenty of trails that aren't as brutal as what we rode.
    Oh, okay.

Love 2 Ride; Ride 2 Live
    I can't make it to that; I work on Sundays.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Drums, Ellicottville is having an outdoor expo this weekend. There will be a ride Friday at 6:00pm and an instructional mountain biking seminar, date and time to be determined. We rode there over the holiday weekend, you should go, you'll love it. The trails are marked like ski runs, Circles / Easier, Squares / Intermediate and Diamonds / Advanced. Don't miss an opportunity to get out there!

Love 2 Ride; Ride 2 Live
    Drums, Ellicottville is having an outdoor expo this weekend. There will be a ride Friday at 6:00pm and an instructional mountain biking seminar, date and time to be determined. We rode there over the holiday weekend, you should go, you'll love it. The trails are marked like ski runs, Circles / Easier, Squares / Intermediate and Diamonds / Advanced. Don't miss an opportunity to get out there!
    I work open to close every Friday (12 - 9). 🙁

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Glad to have found this thread heading up to buffalo later this month for a job interview, from Pittsburgh. Planing on making a trip out of it. Looking at ride elliicottville day 1 then glenwood park day 2 after the interview. Any suggestions on where to park? Was planing on stoping and getting a map at the bike shop so we don't get lost. Anytips for bringing a beginner with me gunna get him out a few times before we go up to get his skills on check.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thabreit: You'll love Ellicottville. We have a place there and I'm getting out more and more as the summer progresses. Definetely pick up a map at Bike and Bean, you'll be glad you did. Oh, and a buritto, they're awesome. This past weekend I had a chance to ride the new Flow Trail. It was an absolute BLAST! It starts at the top of Spruce Lake. To get there, drive up past Holiday Valley Resort (Holiday Valley Rd) to the end. The Flow Trail starts right next to the Spruceline Quad chair. It's marked "MB2" and is basically a downhill trail. It ends at the Yodeler Lodge. They say it's a beginner to intermediate trail but that depends on what your definition of beginner is. Has your friend rode mountain bikes before? Trails? If so, should be fine. We had beginners with us and everyone made it down. There's a link to it on YouTube, search for "Eville Flow". You can also ride the 6.3 mile race loop. Again, I think your friend can tackle this as well. Let me know when you'll be out there as I might be there and can show you around.