mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Anyone one in South Jersey?

Am I the only one? Seems like I hear crickets chirping.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    A while back there was a bunch of guys riding fat bikes on the sand

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm still here. I ride just about every Saturday, some place in the pinelands.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Well, we put an end to this chat.

mtbr member
    In Millville NJ, moved here a few years ago and from Pittsburgh and the riding was so terrible I gave up and sold the bikes (160mm travel trail big and big free ride bike) its been a few years and picked up a more appropriate trail bike to give it another shot. Ceres and the Bluffs are all I can find really close, seems like everyone I meet from here rides near Philly at Wissahickon
    Last edited by Ray Lee; 07-22-2016 at 08:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I agree with Ray, moved here from SoCal last year and the riding is limited. But, it is pretty stinking flat here.

Ceres though is definitely worthwhile. Wissahickon in Philly is fun, and I'm hoping to get out to Central PA soon where the promise land is rumored to be. mtbproject has a growing list of decent trails. Check out mtbnj.com and JORBA too for locals.

mtbr member
    I've lived in South Jersey my whole life, unfortunately. The riding is definitely limited in this part of the state to say the least. But there are some decent spots if your willing to drive to them. DE has White Clay and Brandywine. Just over the DE state line in MD you have Fairhill. Wissahickon in Philly is a fun and rocky ride with some decent short steep climbs and fun flowy downhill sections. All of these places are under and hours drive from Ceres park. I ride Ceres in Mantua at least once a week because I live very close by but if you want to ride anything longer then 7-8 miles with some variety, you really need to leave South Jersey.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I've been think of trying Ceres. I ride at Parvin alot. Its a nice trail, not to texhnical. The Maurice River Bluffs are a good "techy" ride though.

mtbr member
    I'll be in Vineland area this weekend, is Wharton SP worth the drive if I have time to kill?

mtbr member
    I have never ridden here but Estell Manor seems like its worth a shot... looks like actual dirt vs sand at least https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBMp5aeCmwc

Also a spot near me here in millville that looks like it could be fun... its an old forgotten hair scramble cut almost reclaimed by nature so all thats left is smooth single track. Not long or anything but has some elevation and would be a great spot to build some skinniness and such (tons of downed trees)

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I'm at Ceres park right now taking a breather. It's excellent. Now I gotta find out how to get out a here. There are no trail markings lol.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    I'll be in Vineland area this weekend, is Wharton SP worth the drive if I have time to kill?
    If by Wharton, you are talking about the Batsto trails, then go for it. It was made by mountain bikers, and you can go 10 miles, 20 miles, or what ever you want. It is Marked, and you can make your own route. Good ride to you.

mtbr member
    Yup, Batsto, sorry I didn't know the proper name for the trails.

It's sprinkling here in Vineland, so hopefully the trails are in decent shape tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    On Oct.15th. MARS will host the 9th. Wharton 40. This is a 40 mile/ 7 hour ride, with lunch at Batsto. This is a ride in the pinelands, (the place that some people live, but drive hour +, to ride some place else.) 20 miles on the Batsto trails, 20 miles on multi use trails. 8am start @ Carranza.

mtbr member
    Batsto was actually pretty fun! Orange trail is not technical at all, as expected, but was plenty tight and twisty and a great workout.

Back to the area again this weekend, this time Voorhees. Planning on hitting Black Run Preserve and maybe Kresson as well if I'm feeling frisky...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I will be at Greenwood Saturday 9am, park at Bullock. Fat Bike friendly.---BRP is good, but smaller then Batsto. The fun stuff are outside of the Preserve. You need a guide. Greenwood, Batsto, & BRP are Pinelands. Kresson is not pinelands and will feel like hard pack, and single speed friendly. Have a good ride.

mtbr member
    How well marked is BRP itself?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    More colors then Crayola. You will be fine.

mtbr member
    and being pinelands, I assume it drains pretty well? Pouring in Voorhees now but should clear up soon.

Rob

mtbr member
    BRP was in really open shape; Kresson was much worse off but a more interesting ride to me, pretty cool little trail right in the middle of a town!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sorry for the late reply. But after mtbr melded the NJ forum w/ the NY forum, this forum string became even more irrelevent for us in sNJ.
    If you're down *here*, in the SE corner of the state, you know summertime means road riding, or driving across the DE river to mtb. Wintertime and snowfall means riding closer to the shore.
    Wiss, White Clay, Fair Hill, Weiser, Ceres, are what everyone says. The bomb.
    When the leaves drop, the bugs die, and the ground gets firm, Batsto and Belleplain are good choices for short, long, or really long rides.
    Some of us locals post trail conditions to mtbnj.com when needed. The big grand overview can be found at jorba.org.

mtbr member

South Jersey has some unique trail features

South Jersey has some unique trail features thats for sure

Anyone one in South Jersey?-img_0408-1.jpg