Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Anyone around Syracuse, NY?

I live near Syracuse, NY. I was wondering if there is anyone else around here.

Mike

mtbr member
    I've met some guys who go to Syracuse University and ride at Skytop, check those trails out. I tend to hit them once a month when the weather is decent, I'm out there for work. Hit me up if you want to meet up for a ride.
    Central Mass Fat Tire Club - Look us up on Facebook for weekly ride postings!

mtbr member
    Sweet, I need to get in some sort of shape before i can go with regulars.

dwt
    mtbr member
    I'm local. Of course right about now we are x-c skiing on all the trails we will be riding - hopefully soon, IF we have a dry spring.

Skytop is among the best around as far as rocky technical and man-made stuff such as wooden bridges, drops and gaps. Plus, it dries out sooner and better than most other places. The only problem is that most of it is poaching on private property. Periodically the cops patrol and ticket, especially after some yahoo on a 4 wheeler crashes and burns and makes the news.

The best "legal" place is Shindagin Hollow near Ithaca. A paradise of single track, man made, and technical. Can get muddy however.

Highland Forest is the second best legal place - and closer to Syracuse . Plenty of trails and many built (legally) by mountain bikers for mountain bikers. Also tends to get wet and muddy, especially spring and fall.

Check this site out for trail suggestions:
    http://bikeloft.com/page.cfm?PageID=257
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I live in Clay (just north) I have never been to skytop but have heard a lot about it. I will def be hitting it up once it warms up. I have been to highland, and it was REALLY muddy. It hadn't rained in a week but that didn't matter. Still a great time. I am done to ride whenever its warm. Hit me up.

mtbr member
    I am glad there are a couple people who live around me. I'd like to go riding with ya if you don't mind. I've been trying to go out riding when I can and the weather is warmer and sunny.

Mike

dwt
    mtbr member
    If you live in Clay, stop off at the Bike Loft on South Bay Rd. in North Syracuse. They have all kinds of maps and trail suggestions. Also do a group ride every Sunday.

mtbr member
    Who would I contact about the group rides on sundays?

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracerprix
    Who would I contact about the group rides on sundays?
    http://bikeloft.com/articles/dirt-ri...endar-pg38.htm

mtbr member
    Thanks, I wonder if they are still doing rides when it is cold and snowy.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracerprix
    Thanks, I wonder if they are still doing rides when it is cold and snowy.
    Nada. Closed for the season.

mtbr member
    If you live in Clay Great Bear is just a short trip down the road. Its right in the Phoenix/Fulton area. I usually ride there on most Saturdays in the summertime. Mostly singletrack. Not the biggest place or the most difficult but its close, legal, and you can spend a couple hours there and have a good time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm also from Syracuse, started riding at skytop a bit last summer and frequently hit up a few smaller spots around the city. This season I'm planning on checking out the new trails at Greenlakes and getting over to Highland, among the other state parks

mtbr member
    Drummer,

Hey shoot me a PM or something when you decide to go. I am a newbie to mtb but I enjoy it. I need to get into shape more, so don't expect a pro!

Mike

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm in the area and would love to meet folks for rides in the area, Splitrock/Skytop are very easy for me to get to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm at skytop/clarks res at least once a week, and doing road rides to labrador and back around once a month. Pm me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Well I'm From Utica. I tend to go to Willmington Lake Placid area and ride the trails there. Local rides consist of Either nice singletrack in New Hartford Town Park or ATV trails. Woodgate just before old forge has some nice trails also.

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamis63 View Post
    Woodgate just before old forge has some nice trails also.
    Where in Woodgate? Still in Old Forge and tired of riding the same trails in Eagle Bay. Recently have been going down to Shindagin Hollow and Highland, long drives but worth it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It's woodhull state forest

Formerly of Kent
    What can you guys tell me about Lake Placid?

I'm looking to find some places to ride before the weather gets too bad this year. Don't mind a good drive, either. I would make a weekend of it, and do some camping out there as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    There are four or five good trail systems. If you go to placidplanet.com there are some good descriptions.

Local Bike Routes - Placid Planet Bicycles | Lake Placid, New York | Ironman Cervelo Orbea Felt Cannondale Santa Cruz Kona

And there are my favorite trails which are the hardy rd trails in Wilmington.

There is good local trail group that are contsantly updating and adding on.

Info about Wilmington trails here.

mtbr member
    I camped at the Wilmington KOA a couple of weekends ago and rode the flume trails right from the campsite. The trails were in great shape with a lot a new bridges and skinnys.

Also rode the Logger/Lussi trails that are around the Lake Placid Golf Club for the first time. These trails are fantastic, well-built and maintained with easy to expert riding. Started on the Cinderella Story trail (a lot of the trail names are from Caddyshack). I haven't tried the Hardy Road trails yet, but hear they are awesome.

You can get maps to all these trails here, Home | Barkeater Trails Alliance Best Adirondack Mountain Bike Trails , if you donate $35. Also, High Peaks Cyclery, will give you good info on the local trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Im thinking of riding in Shindagin Hollow on Friday if things dry up a bit. Baby Saturday. Kevin

With the recent rain Shindagin should be slippy and muddy, fun trail system thou.

Any word on trails closer to 'Cuse? Just moved and the bikes are begging for some use.

mtbr member
    There are several around Syracuse. Great bear in pheonix, highland forest in Tully/Pompey, skytop near su, green lakes in Fayetteville. Ummm I'm sure there are more.

The fatty loves the mud!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'v been dirt biking for 30 years in the areas southwest of Syracuse and know a lot of trails. I have ridden very few on MTB. Most of that area is very muddy and private land lots of hills. hunting season so its off my list until late spring. I'm not really new to MTB but have been getting more into it lately. I think I might try Skytopp saturday if the weather holds. Some of the posts above make it sound interesting. I live in Manlius so I'm close. Kevin

mtbr member
    I've been to skytop a few times. I tend to go around a lot of the stuff there. But my friends love it there. Just not exactly my type of riding. Well I'm a wuss. Ha ha.

Enjoy!

Highland forrest is closed to bikes until next year, can you guys provide addresses so I can use the GPS to get there?

mtbr member
    I didn't realize highland closed. I like it there. Ill get you addresses later.

Quote Originally Posted by tracerprix View Post
    I like it there.
    Me too.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by superk163 View Post
    I'v been dirt biking for 30 years in the areas southwest of Syracuse and know a lot of trails. I have ridden very few on MTB. Most of that area is very muddy and private land lots of hills. hunting season so its off my list until late spring. I'm not really new to MTB but have been getting more into it lately. I think I might try Skytopp saturday if the weather holds. Some of the posts above make it sound interesting. I live in Manlius so I'm close. Kevin
    I was in Bear Swamp last Tue when it was 60*. Even so it was wet and sloppy. Encountered a couple of hunters and asked them if they minded me poaching into their season. They said no, but even so I think I'm done. Pretty late for riding no matter if weather is unseasonable. The roads are swarming with deer so it's time respect hunting season and hope they can cull the herd.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Highland forrest is closed to bikes until next year, can you guys provide addresses so I can use the GPS to get there?
    Skytop is:
    640 Skytop Rd
    Syracuse, NY 13210

Great Bear Website

Green lakes Website
    7900 Green Lakes Road
    Fayetteville, NY 13066

Anything else?

Skytop is:
    640 Skytop Rd
    Syracuse, NY 13210

Great Bear Website

Green lakes Website
    7900 Green Lakes Road
    Fayetteville, NY 13066

Anything else?
    Is there more?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Yes, but I don't know what they are called or where they are.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Last chance

Going to run Sky top Tomorrow around Noon. Looks sunny and almost 50. It Might be the last time we see weather that for a while. K.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm finally moving down to Syracuse this week (my lady is so happy!) and I'm bringing my FTB as pretty much my only source of entertainment. Anyone else ride throughout the winter? I'd like to find a few winter biking pals to ride pretty much anytime. I've rode a mtb at green lakes and shindagin, and a little up in the ADKs, but am looking forward to get out.

mtbr member
    I'm in warners right next to the fairgrounds. I'm in the bike building stages though, nothing to ride yet. Hopefully another month or two.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Winter

Once the snow fly's I'm usually done biking outdoors. The skiing and snowmobiling takes priority until warm weather returns. With the exception of Cranks Its a great indoor riding park that keeps you in tune until spring. K.

I just moved into Bville and still taking stuff of boxes, hope to be able to take the bikes out soon instead of working, need some mud therapy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akowalczk View Post
    I'm finally moving down to Syracuse this week (my lady is so happy!) and I'm bringing my FTB as pretty much my only source of entertainment. Anyone else ride throughout the winter? I'd like to find a few winter biking pals to ride pretty much anytime. I've rode a mtb at green lakes and shindagin, and a little up in the ADKs, but am looking forward to get out.
    I really want to ride all winter. I really didn't have any time to ride this past summer, so I gained some weight and lost my bike abilities................. I really really need/want to ride. I miss it terribly!

Mike

mtbr member
    Well it would seem the weather is decent riding weather this winter, no snow and its a week from Christmas. Might as well get out and ride.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Dry as a bone

Rode Skytop last two days and its dry as a bone in there. May hit it again today.

Since moving haven't touched the bikes, with the meltdown that we're having I'm considering taking the bikes out for a ride, where should I go?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I was planning on taking the bmx out before work today, and if there's sun tomorrow, I'll probably be blazing skytop in the morning.

Dev, if you're hungry for a challenge and wet feet, the power lines from Clarks res to Lafayette and back will be a bit of something, with all of the snowmobile-packed ice/snow. I'd recommend studs if you've got 'em.

Skytop sounds good, haven't been there yet or maybe Great Bear which is closer to my place.

mtbr member
    Skytop sounds good, haven't been there yet or maybe Great Bear which is closer to my place.
    Contact great bear before you go there. They do not allow bikes in the winter time.

Contact great bear before you go there. They do not allow bikes in the winter time.
    Had contacted them about it and the answer was positive, anyway sent another message asking again just to be on the safe side.

mtbr member
    Had contacted them about it and the answer was positive, anyway sent another message asking again just to be on the safe side.
    My buddy said the owners contacted him saying he wasn't allowed to ride in the snow there. I hope that isn't true.

This is part of the answer I got after inquiring:

"Thank you for writing and your concern about riding your mtb during the winter.
    Great Bear is a share the trails area.
    Mountain bikes are allowed, with the expectation that riders use good judgement regarding the trail/weather conditions and others' use and enjoyment of the trails. (ie: xc-country skiing/snowshoeing)
    We hope that we get a cold solid ground with a good snow base for all of us to use and enjoy."

Anyway, as soon as they reply to my recent message will share it with you guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast