mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Adirondack Riding

Hey there,
    My wife's family just finished building a summer place about 10 minutes from Gore Mountain. I'm planning to hit Gore and the ski bowl this summer, can anyone offer any insight or experience on these spots?

Also, are there any other "must ride" spots within an hour or so of Gore?

Thanks!

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Lake Placid and Wilmington have XC trails and DH on Whiteface

mtbr member
    I spent a day at Gore a few years ago. I'm an experienced New England XC singletrack guy and was on my 26" SC Heckler at the time. Only done lift accessed riding 3-4 times but I hit everything and it was a great day. The black trails have some technical/rocky/rooty sections but nothing I have not seen where I normally ride. To get to the summit you need to grind up from where lift drops you off which is worth doing at least once. Not a huge climb but I was glad I didn't have a DH bike for that!
    07 Kona Dawg Supreme
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Good info, thanks all!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Take a look here: https://www.betatrails.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Santanoni has nice fire road trail with great ADK views. Not the best mountain biking but it's fun to explore the area.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/n...o-newcomb-lake

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by shortnangry View Post
    Take a look here: https://www.betatrails.org
    Awesome stuff, thanks! I'd love to help out with some trail maintenance sometime when up there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Two other great nearby spots are Gurney Lane in Queensbury (exit 20, I-87) and The Hub in Brant Lake.

Gurney is super fun and flowy, and most trails are great in both directions. Be sure to hit Rock Buster, Rogue Extension, the new trails E-20 and Tango, and the (soon to be opened) skills park. This park is a great model of what can happen when a town (Town of Queensbury) embraces mountain biking.

The Hub is a very cool spot (bike shop, cafe, bar) in Brant Lake that recently built a mtb park. I haven't hit the trails yet, but am sure it will not disappoint. Stop in to the shop after your ride for a quick bite, beverage and chat with Drew and Noah.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I'll second hicksjerry's statements. I just rode Brant Lake today and Gurney on last Friday. I'd also add Daniels Rd. in Saratoga and Spiers Falls for some more technical single track stuff on the southern end of your spectrum!

hello pot? this is kettle
    Just a few minutes north of Gore is Garnet Hill XC Ski lodge. They are ramping up their 'off' season activities with mountain biking on the XC ski trails. They've also had 5 miles of dedicated mtb trails purpose built. I'm heading up this weekend to check things out. I've skied there many times, it'll be fun to bike the same trails. Ski bowl trails just outside of town are fun too.

https://www.garnet-hill.com/outdoor-...untain-biking/

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    That's awesome, let me know how their trails are. Our place is less than a mile from Garnet Hill Lodge so I can ride there out my front door.

Gurney looks awesome too, definitely planning to check that out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by paetersen View Post
    Just a few minutes north of Gore is Garnet Hill XC Ski lodge. They are ramping up their 'off' season activities with mountain biking on the XC ski trails. They've also had 5 miles of dedicated mtb trails purpose built. I'm heading up this weekend to check things out. I've skied there many times, it'll be fun to bike the same trails. Ski bowl trails just outside of town are fun too.

https://www.garnet-hill.com/outdoor-...untain-biking/
    Did you end up riding Garnet Hill this weekend? If so how was it? I'm heading up on Wednesday so hopefully I'll get to check it out.

I did, and I was going to post last night but I didn't have the heart to. I can only hope that it's a work in progress. The newly built trails near the lodge are the same company that built the Gurney & Brant Lake trails. Modern, wide, sanitized, 'flowy'. People seem to like them but it's not my cup of tea. It's a Millstone-over-Kingdom kind of thing.

The trail use fee is $15. Which is, in the current state of the trails, IMHO ridiculous. The map is the old map from the mid 2000's, no new trails on the map yet, and some of the trails on *that* map haven't been maintained since then. Some of the new built trails incorporate sections of old trail, which gets confusing when you try to orient yourself.

When I spoke to the new owner over the winter he did say they were focusing on the new built stuff first, then pushing out to work on the older existing trails. IN the height of it, 2002-2007, it was considered a very good place to ride:
    Garnet Hill xc ski area - Trail - user reviews : 4.2 out of 5 - 6 reviews - MTBR.com

But if you consider the review from 2009, they are certainly coming back from a very low point. How much they come back depends on the new owner. I urged him to invite the local club in to help with trails. Don't know if he reached out to them or if Garnet Hill is trying to keep it all 'in house'.

In short- because it is a bike ride away from you, it's worth checking out at least once. #2, #3, #4, #5, & #6 are still mostly there.
    Last edited by paetersen; 07-02-2018 at 11:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Bummer, I hope they continue to work on it. I'll probably still check it out since it's so close. Have you ridden the ski bowl?

I've ridden the ski bowl, some good stuff in there, and some 'flowy' shit too. Did you ride Garnet Hill? Curious to know how you thought things were.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by paetersen View Post
    I've ridden the ski bowl, some good stuff in there, and some 'flowy' shit too. Did you ride Garnet Hill? Curious to know how you thought things were.
    Unfortunately I didnít. I had limited time to ride so I went to ski bowl instead. Seemed smarter to go somewhere more established since I didnít have much time. I did ride up to Garnet from our house though, just to check it out and see exactly how long the ride is. It seemed a bit disorganized - the guy working at the ski shop couldnít tell me much other than all their ski trails are open plus the 5 miles of new trails. I was hoping to hear some more detail about the trails but I donít think this guy was a rider. Iíll be back up next weekend though and weíre definitely going to ride there so Iíll let you know how it goes.

On a side note I thought ski bowl was pretty awesome. Small but fun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    So I rode Garnet Hill this weekend and I think my experience was better than yours. We rode the Ski Bowl in the morning so we didn't get there until probably 2pm, and they only charged us $30 total for 4 people. I do agree that $15/person is steep considering the quality of the trails and the proximity to other free places like Ski Bowl, Brant Lake and Gurney. I also agree that the map situation is frustrating - we spent a decent amount of time trying to navigate our way through the ski trails, and it's annoying that the new singletrack isn't on the map yet.

All that being said, we had fun there and I thought the new WPM singletrack was awesome. That's partially because I don't have any of those fast, flowy trails where I live, but also because I think they did a good job taking advantage of the terrain to create some fun stuff. Some of the XC ski trails aren't great for riding, but many of them were in good shape and it was fun to bomb down a lot of the doubletrack hills. We didn't hit all of the ski trails but the ones we did hit were in pretty good condition. There was one muddy section but overall they had been recently mowed and were all in pretty good shape. Maybe they did some maintenance since you were there last week.

Overall I like Ski Bowl better, but considering I can ride to Garnet Hill from my house I will definitely go back. I hope they continue to build more bike-specific singletrack and keep everything maintained to justify the $15 fee.

This seems to be the most current map: https://www.garnet-hill.com/wp-conte...-Trail-Map.pdf

It's got the new trails overlaid on the old trails- original singletrack was just numbered. I'll be printing it out for next time. One thing I've noticed is that #6 is completely gone from the 4H trail all the way down to the bottom of the tailings near marker 22.

I've been riding out from the ski shop on 4H, climb up #2, hit all the new trails in a series of loops including #1 (basically staying close and/or circling around the lodge), down #3, cross the bridge at 22 to get on #6 out to Harvey's tailings, come back for the bottom of #3, CLIMB #4, and spin back to the ski shop on Old Faithful. Or if you're really into a bit of suffering climb #5 from the intersection of 4H and the beginning of #3. It goes straight up the ridge to the lodge and is a bitch of a climb.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Yeah that map is better but definitely not what they gave me. We rode out from the ski shop on Old Faithful and hit #3 & 4, ended up out by the tailings, worked our way back up to Blue Jay somehow, then hit all the new singletrack. We stopped at the lodge to meet up with one of the guys who had taken a break, and got turned around when we tried to take the new trails back to Old Faithful to get back to the ski shop. Somehow we ended up back out near the tailings so what should've been a 10 minute ride turned into 35 minutes. But it was fun and we sort of learned our way around by the end.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Hey i'm a little late to the party here, but there is a ton of great riding in the southern adk's. Most everything is in Trailforks so if you haven't checked that out yet it is a great app to learn new trails.

The WPM guys do a great job so ski bowl, gurney, and brant lake are some of the best. Moreau state park has some good stuff, and there is a lot of adventure riding to be found on old dirt roads, logging roads, snowmobile trails, etc throughout the area.