I <3 NM

XO Shifter sticking - any assistance appreciated

My rear SRAM XO shifter is sticking (the small black paddle, not the larger silver lever).

It will click down the cog set when I push it with my thumb, but I have to manually pull it back into position for the next click. Anyone have this problem and know of a fix? I took a minor spill in the S Foothills the last time i rode with Notaknob (it was dark and we had no lights) and it started this behavior right afterward. No obvious damage though.

Thx
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    I was gonna ask if you crashed... that happens to me somtimes the brake lever gets pushed to close to the shifter housing.. make sure thier not touching. Just losen em and check it

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm a bike shop wrench, one of the things we've seen a few times is that the thumb lever has been bent (maybe from a knee strike) so that it hangs up on the finger lever and cannot return. I can also say that sram has one of the more liberal warranty depts that I have worked with and there is a good chance that they'll send you a new shifter if you ask nicely. You may need to go though a bike shop to do this though, I'm at The Broken Spoke in Santa Fe fwiw. Good luck

I <3 NM

XO Shifter sticking - any assistance appreciated

I knew I could count on NM peeps, thanks gents.

I'll dig into it in the morning.

-Nate

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I second that of Chapman's diagnoses. I've had a customer with the same sticking on the thumb shifter after a crash but I took a couple of box end wrenches and gingerly bent her down a bit. I'd go the warranty route first, though.

I <3 NM
    I opened up the shifter and cleaned and lube it and put it back into proper position. Y'all guessed correct, it looked like it took a hit and got knocked out of whack. They needed some maintenance tlc since I've never thought to open them up in 50 months...

thanks again gents