I <3 NM

WTF? ABQ attorney blames bicyclist for fatal crash with DWI driver

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

Stucco Bucket
    that could very well be. Ever seen a roadie look over their shoulder? body following head.
    Thats such a dangerous place to ride a bike, especially at night. Driver certainly did all the wrong things though and looks guilty as ****

I <3 NM

WTF? ABQ attorney blames bicyclist for fatal crash with DWI driver

Riding road sucks for sure, but shouldn't carry a death sentence handed out by a drunk driver.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    Riding road sucks for sure, but shouldn't carry a death sentence handed out by a drunk driver.
    What else do you expect from an attorney?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    That particular article only says that the driver claimed to have 3 beers earlier that day and week a week prior. Doesn't say how intoxicated he actually was at the time. It also doesn't speak to any evidence that the rider didn't actually swerve out into traffic. He was riding against traffic so likely wasn't a "real" rider.

Shitty that a dude died, but the article doesn't have enough facts to really condemn the driver or the rider. Not much you can do if the rider actually did suddenly pop off into traffic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by warimono View Post
    That particular article only says that the driver claimed to have 3 beers earlier that day and week a week prior. Doesn't say how intoxicated he actually was at the time. It also doesn't speak to any evidence that the rider didn't actually swerve out into traffic. He was riding against traffic so likely wasn't a "real" rider.

Shitty that a dude died, but the article doesn't have enough facts to really condemn the driver or the rider. Not much you can do if the rider actually did suddenly pop off into traffic.
    any one on 2 wheels is a real rider. before i mountain biked seriously my only transportation was a bicycle. most of the people i see riding bikes around town have no helmets and ride against traffic on the side walk. For lots of people riding towards traffic feels safer because they can see the cars coming at them. So i can understand why a lot of people do it.

But im glad that you pointed out that there is a real possibility that it was the riders fault. most of us drive cars on this forum and none of us would have any control over a cyclist pulling out in front of us. Im glad that there are lawyers out there to defend us if such a thing were to happen

also it sucks that no one is around to tell the riders side of the story. the only one who knows what happened is the driver and its not like hes gonna turn him self in or may be he would hes innocent until proven guilty.

Shifting gears just a little bit I dont believe stiffer or more punishments for drivers would make commuting safer for cyclists. deterrence only goes so far the bike lane system and how it interacts with traffic should be first on the list when talking about making riding in the city safer
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodson View Post
    Bandoleroooooooooooos!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Very tragic for everyone involved. My sympathies go out to all the victims.

My position is that it's not really up to bicycle community to assert guilt or innocence to either of these individuals. However, I agree with Fugs. It would be a good opportunity to push local government to direct more funds to an infrastructure that better supports biking commuters. Of course, once that happens, they will almost certainly start enforcing traffic laws for cyclists. They have to subsidize it somehow.

This is one of those rare instances where it would be prudent to have a strong, cohesive cycling community in place, with a mutual understanding of each others needs.