mtbr member
    Nov 2011

winsor/rem trail conditions this weekend

Thinking about doing a big loop this weekend, anybody have any insight on trail conditions on Winsor and/or REM?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've heard Winsor is in good shape this year, but there are going to be a ton of people going through there on Saturday AM between 9:00AM-1:00PM with the Bike & Brew thing. I'd probably avoid it during that time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    B & B is not this weekend, its next...Outside Bike & Brew Festival Schedule

Winsor is good until you get into snow line, just below ski area parking in patches. There it is totally passable, but in some places a little greasy. Beautiful up there now! Go!!

I imagine the same is true with REM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Whoops, my mistake. Guess i'll probably go hit up Winsor then too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    With all the rain lately is windsor going to be safe? Has the snow up to the ski area cleared?

Looking to ride up there Sunday I think.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The Winsor is fine. Creek crossings are another issue! The Big Tesuque Creek and the Little Tesuque Creeks are HUGE right now!!! We have had lots of rain (yesterday afternoon and evening most recently), so the water is not running so clear. There is a possibility you could wind up sitting in the water in one of those crossings! Have fun!

The snow line is still low enough that going up above the Big Tesuque campground is not going to be advisable. We have had a cool spring and the snow is slow to melt (and that is a good thing).

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    So shuttling from the ski area is going to be a bit slick up top still?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I don't shuttle. You must be on a heavier or downhill rig. When it gets too greasy, I turn around. It will be greasy in spots towards the Nordic trail to Pacheco Canyon Road. Below that it will have its spots, but for the most part it should be great! Have fun!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    No downhill rig here, but the 4K feet of climbing bottom to top is right around my limit and much much past my brothers current fitness limit.

I'll ride her the right way this season for sure, but for now need some hydrocarbons to get us to the top every once in a while.

We may just end up at La Tierra as I don't like to clean a muddy bike if I don't have to.

mtbr member
    REM has no snow, rode it last Friday (climbing up Pacheco was fine apart from mud by the last cabins). We cleared a bunch of trees but we need to go back with a chainsaw, hopefully this week. Water is the highest I have seen it, so crossing is more of a pain than usual. The crossover trail to Pacheco is now clear of branches too (the descent to Pacheco) as of yesterday. Winsor should be fine apart from some mud. I sure wouldn't want to go to Tesuque though w all those creek crossings, below Chamisa is a bit boring anyway. I almost always do the Nun's/Norski shuttle when I do the rare shuttle and climb up Chamisa to do Sidewinder/Juan/Nun's exit to the car.
    nix that, livin la vida bandos is a good idea when you're on a Mojo HD

"babies don't drink coors" - del norte

mtbr member
    Stupid question here but can some one tell me what or where Nun's is to a non Santa Fe native?
    Ride: 2014 Yeti SB66AC

mtbr member
    Nun's corner is the low point in the highway after cresting just past 10,000 waves as you climb the mountain. It is where Juan exits after steeply descending from the north and a good finish after doing sidewinder (saddleback). It is also a good start to warm up on the road before climbing Chamisa.

mtbr member
    Thank's man! I appreciate the info! I'm planning a loop tomorrow. Didn't want to start in Tesuque as I'm sure the stream crossings are crazy right now!

mtbr member
    yeah, definitely skip the bottom of Winsor below Chamisa. bottom of REM is totally flooded too.

mtbr member
    Decided to do a Shuttle this last Sunday. Started at the Ski Basin parking lot.

We did Winsor/Chamisa/Sidewinder/Juan?/Nun's.

Everything was good to go and super awesome! There are some down tree's between the Ski lot and Norski but other than that it was a blast. No mud or snow.