mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Who's the best wheelbuilder in alb?

I need too have some wheels build up. Have no idea what shop builds "quality" wheels, bike coop? fat tire? two wheel drive?

banned
    I would give the guys over at Bikeworks a try. But you will find the "best" wheelbuilder in Abq. working in the Walgreens Pharmacy at Montgomery and San Mateo IMO. Goes to show you that all too often talent goes unrewarded in the bike industry.
    Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 06-16-2008 at 08:34 PM.

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by palerider
    I need too have some wheels build up. Have no idea what shop builds "quality" wheels, bike coop? fat tire? two wheel drive?
    Best builder in ABQ? That is a tough one. Learn to lace them up yourself and tune them like a fine instrument and you will have a nice set of wheels.

If you don't get so far as to tension up your first attempt at leased you did the lacing. Then take it to a shop and have them finish the job. If your good you can center the hub logo with the valve stem hole.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    I would give the guys over at Bikeworks a try. But you will find the "best" wheelbuilder in Abq. working in the Walgreens Pharmacy at Montgomery and San Mateo IMO. Goes to show you that all too often talent goes unrewarded in the bike industry.
    He builds a great wheel set!!

banned
    Yeah!...You know who I am talking about. Of all the wheels that Phil has built for me not one has had to be trued. Broken Spokes....ah, different story

Fragilie
    Quote Originally Posted by palerider
    I hear Dan at Bike Works is. I'll know soon.
    It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees. (Emiliano Zapata)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B
    I hear Dan at Bike Works is. I'll know soon.
    You in for Thursday evening?

Mythical Creature

Best in NM....

For PhD level, super-duper tailored for you, right down to custom gauge butted spoke selctions based on location (non-disk side front, etc....), wheel build, and rider 'profile', Jeremy at Alchemy in Santa Fe - likley builds the best wheels in the region. He ain't cheap - but is reasonable given how stellar the builds are. If you want the lightest and strongest wheels - talk to him. If you want simple off-the-shelf builds, as noted - you can do pretty well on your own.
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I can lace and true wheels up but they just dont seem too stay true. Also have had rims crack around eyelets. Maybe I will give it another try.

Drunken fool
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    My vote for the best builder in town goes to a fire fighter. He used to work at ABC 15 years ago or so and got out of the biz due to pay (lack of). He has built a few sets for me and they have held up to years of abuse. Of course he only does work on the side now and only by word of mouth. Other than that I can't help you out.
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

Thread Pollution

hard to find better

Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    For PhD level, super-duper tailored for you, right down to custom gauge butted spoke selctions based on location (non-disk side front, etc....), wheel build, and rider 'profile', Jeremy at Alchemy in Santa Fe - likley builds the best wheels in the region. He ain't cheap - but is reasonable given how stellar the builds are. If you want the lightest and strongest wheels - talk to him. If you want simple off-the-shelf builds, as noted - you can do pretty well on your own.
    Ditto on that.and his price is comparative to a set of mavic xl crossmax's or what ever there called, now days.

7MGTE
    I agree 100%!!! He helped me build my race wheelset for my Yeti ARC. Wheelset came in at 1383g (tubeless to)! That wheelset was very light and strong. The rims took plenty of hard landings and it turns out the frame gave out before the wheelset Jeremy has also helped me with my current DH rims for my Nomad and again no issues at all.

Yes Jeremy is not cheap but in his case you WILL get what you pay for. One other thing on his price. If he builds a wheelset and the rim fails (spokes or rims) he will fix it for free (basically parts and labor will be on him). To me that was worth his price and then some. Basically he will stand behind the wheel as long as you are riding it.

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by supramk388
    I agree 100%!!! He helped me build my race wheelset for my Yeti ARC. Wheelset came in at 1383g (tubeless to)!
    Dang! That's light! What hubs...? Tune? I gave him my trusty old CK ISO hubs in the fall of 2004, and he built them up to some Stans ZTR355's. I'm only just now about to retire those rims / spokes. That wheelset was 1496g and bullet-proof.

What will the next set be? Jeremy built Olympics and whatever the blingest spokes he recommends, with the same CK hubs.
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Sublime Absurdity
    Dang! That's light! What hubs...? Tune? I gave him my trusty old CK ISO hubs in the fall of 2004, and he built them up to some Stans ZTR355's. I'm only just now about to retire those rims / spokes. That wheelset was 1496g and bullet-proof.

What will the next set be? Jeremy built Olympics and whatever the blingest spokes he recommends, with the same CK hubs.
    I had a similar CK/ZTR wheelset and it only took a couple of runs down 10k/tree springs/Oso/Faulty to crack the rear rim. I've had much better luck with the Olympics...
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

7MGTE

Yea, Tune hubs and 355 rims. You should try the Tune hubs on your next wheelset. Yes they are expensive but very light and strong. I have had CK hubs in the past and I would take Tune any day of the week over CK. Jeremy usually has them in stock so that helps to.

EDIT:
    Fixed typo
    Last edited by supramk388; 06-19-2008 at 06:23 AM.

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by sodade
    I had a similar CK/ZTR wheelset and it only took a couple of runs down 10k/tree springs/Oso/Faulty to crack the rear rim. I've had much better luck with the Olympics...
    Ah! I had the same weird cracking issue with (1) of the rims, where it started splitting down the middle! It was warrantied with a slightly updated one (in early 2005?) that had the "new" round hook-profile on the sidewall of the rim.

But the Olympics are next up, in the next few weeks.
    follow me on Twitter!

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by supramk388
    Yea, Tune hubs and 355 rims. You should try the Tune hibs on your next wheelset. Yes they are expensive but very light and stong. I have had CK hubs in the past and I would take Tune any day of the week over CK. Jeremy usually has them in stock so that helps to.
    Me too!

When I kill the CK hubs, or can 'retire them' to a backup wheelset (I must be old and have some disposable income...) I will replace them with the Tune's, or the DT Swiss 190's. The Tune's look great and are proving themselves pretty damned worthy! But in the meantime, with a spankin' new SRAM Red equiped road bike w/ a PowerTap, a bling Redline Scandium CX bike - new hubs for the new mtbike wheelset are pushing it - for now! Next wheelbuild though, or big bonus at work... whichever comes first.
    follow me on Twitter!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    great posts, I am building wheels soon and have been at a loss. Had never heard of Tune hubs and they look awesome.

Single Speed Junkie
    I-9s are also really nice. Hubs, Spokes and any rim you want.

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by crux
    I-9s are also really nice. Hubs, Spokes and any rim you want.
    I-9s are nice but who in the hell wants to wait 4-8 weeks for rims? Also the more I read up (people who own I-9s) on I-9s the more I want to stay away.

7MGTE
    Me too!

When I kill the CK hubs, or can 'retire them' to a backup wheelset (I must be old and have some disposable income...) I will replace them with the Tune's, or the DT Swiss 190's. The Tune's look great and are proving themselves pretty damned worthy! But in the meantime, with a spankin' new SRAM Red equiped road bike w/ a PowerTap, a bling Redline Scandium CX bike - new hubs for the new mtbike wheelset are pushing it - for now! Next wheelbuild though, or big bonus at work... whichever comes first.
    I looked at the DT Swiss 190s for my race bike. Those are light that is for sure being ceramic and all is cool to. I did some reading up on ceramic bearings for hubs and I was not sure they would hold up for the long run. Sounds like you need to keep them really clean or else they could could you lots of issues. DT swiss says 105g (minus the IS disk adapter) for the front and 205g for the rear (again minus the IS adapter). That is super light but I was not sure how long the hubs would last. I was told I could change the bearings every 6 months but I was not willing to do that.

As far as the Tune hubs they were pretty light so I went with them. I went with the Tune King Kong Princess Hub (front) at 116grams and for the rear Tune King Kong w/TI free body (came in at 225grams). I felt like this was hard to beat for qty and weight. Again I know not all like Tune but they have NOT failed me so far. I have beat the $hit out of them with no issues at all.

Good luck with you next wheel build I know it will be sweet!