Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Who the F is removing rocks from Sidewinder/Juan/Burn?

To the d-bag(s) that is removing/digging out the rocks from some of Santa Fe's best trails: Stop turning some of our only technical trails into wheelchair paths.
    Stop ruining our trails. Learn to ride over techy rocks or stay on Dale Ball North.
    You are ruining it for the rest of us. Leave Sidewinder, Burn, & Juan alone.

Seriously, stop ruining our trails.

If any of you see the person(s) doing this, please stop and let them know they are ruining our best trails. If you can, get the name of the person(s) before expressing any discontent and be sure to post it here.

mtbr member
    Last edited by Fuglio; 09-08-2012 at 07:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Dude, It helps me get better Strava times. ; ) but seriously my buddy was riding up there this weekend and saw a lady doing just fukn' that. INSANE!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Arghh. Was she riding or hiking ?

Single Speed Junkie
    If possible replace with larger heavier rocks.

mtbr member
    TJ, I haven't heard about any work, or proposed work, on those trails, I'll "dig around" and try to find out who it is and stop them.
    nix that, livin la vida bandos is a good idea when you're on a Mojo HD

"babies don't drink coors" - del norte

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixbikes View Post
    Arghh. Was she riding or hiking ?
    Riding : (

I <3 NM
    Falcon Punch!
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    I've seen strange lights in the area recently. Could be ETs are behind this...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm gonna check out the Cannondale Demo in La Tierra tomorrow, but if anyone else is likely to make it up there soon it might work to put up a small sign somewhere along the 1st stretch of Sidewinder asking other users to leave the trail the f*#k alone.

mtbr member
    Acronyms: FYI SFFTS,nor TAOSF nor SFCT knows anything about this trailwork, So it seems to just be an individual effort.

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte View Post
    To the d-bag(s) that is removing/digging out the rocks from some of Santa Fe's best trails: Stop turning some of our only technical trails into wheelchair paths.
    Stop ruining our trails. Learn to ride over techy rocks or stay on Dale Ball North.
    You are ruining it for the rest of us. Leave Sidewinder, Burn, & Juan alone.
    You should ask SageCat if she knows anything about it...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Don't know, but will I keep up the conversation

I try to tell every trail worker I know, "leave the rocks, keep the trail interesting." Sometimes they listen, mostly not.

It is simply ignorance. They think they are helping. ARRGHHH. I will post a note on Pedal Queens FB to see if we can find the culprit and increase awareness. Signs might help.

If you could all try to show up on public work days and keep telling everyone. Some are tired of hearing me. See trailsallianceofsantafe.org for workdays.

Upper Winsor will be the next "project."

mtbr member
    I'm going to ride through there today and post up some signs after work. Hopefully there's no more rocks removed from the trail
    I can't believe someone is doing this to our trails. The irreparable damage is heartbreaking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte View Post
    I'm going to ride through there today and post up some signs after work. Hopefully there's no more rocks removed from the trail
    I can't believe someone is doing this to our trails. The irreparable damage is heartbreaking.
    CDaddy (I think it was him) was saying someone ripped the signs down and ripped them in half. WTF?

mtbr member
    This would be a good sign:

Wall Photos | Facebook
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by cabra cadabra View Post
    This would be a good sign:

Wall Photos | Facebook
    Nice
    Bandolero

mtbr member
    Last edited by rpinata; 09-08-2012 at 12:17 PM.
    The Dude abides.

Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by rpinata View Post
    It's happening in the ABQ Foothills too.
    The north foothills have been getting robbed alot of there good rocks. Don't rocks controll erosion. Its getting worse every year.
    Last edited by Crash88; 08-26-2012 at 12:35 PM.
    Bandolero

Genius
    Whats new....? The foothills are 1000% different than 15-20 years ago. It used to be a challenging effort to ride 365. We actually used to break wheels, spokes and occasionally frames on the tech in SFH and NFH. It used to be one of the tech-i-est trails around. It's all gone now. All the trails suck now unless you get 5+ miles away from any trailhead where hikers seldom roam. I cant tell you how many rocks I have put back in place over the years. Some really big. Otero and tunnel suffered a huge sanitizing effort last fall for the first few miles. Notice how smooth it is now? it didnt used to be that way.

Oh. By the way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who the F is removing rocks from Sidewinder/Juan/Burn?-gopr0029a-new.jpg  

Last edited by De La Pena; 08-27-2012 at 09:43 AM.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

I <3 NM
    I am pretty sure that parts of the Foothills can be roller bladed on without any problem.

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    I don't know bobby sfh is still pretty tech. Lots of stuff out there. But this thread is motivating me. I'm gonna build a nice kicker smack in the middle of the trail later on this week.

Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    I don't know bobby sfh is still pretty tech. Lots of stuff out there. But this thread is motivating me. I'm gonna build a nice kicker smack in the middle of the trail later on this week.
    It used to be tech all over. Not just here and there. Especially Elena. Those trails used to eat bikes and bike parts. Buddy of mine broke a full suspension voodoo frame out there. I bent a fork, tacoed a wheel, broke spokes, bent cranks (this one often) and lost several derailleurs there. Now you don't need ANY suspension and I haven't broke anything there since I can remember. Half of the trails are now 10feet wide and steamrolled and can be ridden with a Huffy.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

MTBR Member since 2001...
    Sorry to hear about this. We have problems similar but not identical to this here in CA. People come in and steal dirt, rocks and wood chips for landscaping/gardening instead of buying these supplies lawfully. I've seen people just back their pick ups into an area and strip the landscape.

Pebble Beach near Carmel, CA had to actually post signs telling people not to take the rocks off the beach. Each tourist that showed up would take a little piece of our coast home with them.

They seem to have no regard to the fact they are tresspassing and stealing in the majority of cases.
    '11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    '08 GT Force 3
    Giant
    Moto
    Trek
    Others

mtbr member
    Edit:

After communicating with Sage, I donít believe it was her doing the work. The person they saw is definitely someone who looks like Sage. At least keep an eye out for a person like this on that trail. I at least hope that the word is out enough to limit this trail project to only what has occurred at this point.

This is one of my favorite trails, and when I noticed the large, embedded rocks being torn out, I was very upset and vocal about it. Having my panties all in a wad, and obviously being pretty upset about it, I was easily spurred to over react.

I should have asked Sage first, before going with that info to a public forum. Hindsight is 20/20. When I was told that they saw Sage, I overreacted and ran my mouth too soon, for sure. I definitely should have asked her before just going to a public forum with those statements. Iím certain that it was not her. Sage, my apologies for openly using info that I had not verified through you first.
    Last edited by delnorte; 09-12-2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: my apologies

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast