• 11-12-2012
    Tone's
    OK, OK, That would be me, im sneaking over from oz and diggin the rocks out..and takin a few home too....You guys got nice rocks, what can i say.....
  • 11-28-2012
    tyrebyter
    Not to belabor a subject, but I just got back from SFHN (Trail 365) and someone has been 'improving' the trail. Lots of rocks missing, as in gone from the trail and not even within sight. What's the protocol for putting them back? Anyone know if the FS is OK with that? I suppose they could be preparing it for asphalt. That is about all that is left to do there... except maybe add some streetlights and guardrails.
  • 11-28-2012
    MTBNate
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    Not to belabor a subject, but I just got back from SFHN (Trail 365) and someone has been 'improving' the trail. Lots of rocks missing, as in gone from the trail and not even within sight. What's the protocol for putting them back? Anyone know if the FS is OK with that? I suppose they could be preparing it for asphalt. That is about all that is left to do there... except maybe add some streetlights and guardrails.

    A whole thread discussing the problem (the title is a bit misleading tho):
    http://forums.mtbr.com/new-mexico/mo...ce-821629.html
  • 11-28-2012
    tyrebyter
    Thanks for the lead. Still, do you have to get special dispensation from the Vatican to put rocks back? Is merely holding a shovel in the NF a $300 fine? Would really like to put some challenge back into the trail.
  • 11-28-2012
    ABQ_Biker
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    Thanks for the lead. Still, do you have to get special dispensation from the Vatican to put rocks back? Is merely holding a shovel in the NF a $300 fine? Would really like to put some challenge back into the trail.

    You can try putting them back, but in this dry climate, once a rock is out it almost always stays out. Unless you just like loose rocks cluttering the trail. That is why everyone, including me, is pissed about them being removed.
  • 11-28-2012
    ABQ_Biker
    1 Attachment(s)
    The Sanitizer hits Placitas!
    There have been a number of big rocks removed from trails in Placitas. PATA will be posting notices at the points on the trails were the damage has been done. We don't have many rocks on a lot of the trails in Placitas. Each one removed is like a lost child. PATA members ride the trails a lot in Placitas, and there will be a reckoning of the Sanitizer is caught!

    Below is a pic is just one example of the trail damage in Placitas. All the rocks on the right use to be embedded in the trail.
  • 12-02-2012
    crux
    Sanitizer in NFH
    Was out in the NFH this afternoon and looks like a few rocks have been cleared off the trail. What I thought was a little more disturbing on a quick flow section there is a small rock jump on the right where a loose rock placed in the LZ making for a "rough" landing at best. Line to the left looked perfectly groomed just waiting for pavement.
  • 12-03-2012
    bg2lk15
    That is more disturbing than removed rocks. I saw some loose rocks looking like they were intentionally placed in the SFH. Of course I wasn't jumping anything... Also seen cactus spread on the trail though not an issue with tubeless.
  • 12-04-2012
    Tone's
    Has anybody bothered to think out side the box that maybe the rocks are sick of getting donged on the head by bike tyres so maybe at night they dig themselves out and wriggle over to the side of the path themselves?
  • 12-04-2012
    Fuglio
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Has anybody bothered to think out side the box that maybe the rocks are sick of getting donged on the head by bike tyres so maybe at night they dig themselves out and wriggle over to the side of the path themselves?

    Your beaming intellect cuts through darkness.
  • 12-04-2012
    crux
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Has anybody bothered to think out side the box that maybe the rocks are sick of getting donged on the head by bike tyres so maybe at night they dig themselves out and wriggle over to the side of the path themselves?

    Its possible. If the rocks are wriggling off to the side they might start grouping together making a berm:eekster:
  • 12-04-2012
    Tone's
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by crux View Post
    Its possible. If the rocks are wriggling off to the side they might start grouping together making a berm:eekster:

    Hehehe, now ive got you guys thinking :skep: see it takes a poor Aussie to teach the Americans a thing or two about the habits of their own sneaky rocks, rocks do all kinds of things at night, and yes ive seen them wiggling about, its more common than you guys think.
    The only way to stop them is to beat them with a stick and abuse the s**t outa them, they will stop, but it takes a lot of beating them believe me......
  • 12-04-2012
    notaknob
    Obligatory
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Hehehe, now ive got you guys thinking :skep: see it takes a poor Aussie to teach the Americans a thing or two about the habits of their own sneaky rocks, rocks do all kinds of things at night, and yes ive seen them wiggling about, its more common than you guys think.
    The only way to stop them is to beat them with a stick and abuse the s**t outa them, they will stop, but it takes a lot of beating them believe me......

    *Rock* stole my baby!
  • 12-04-2012
    crux
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by notaknob View Post
    *Rock* stole my baby!


    LOL. That was good.
  • 12-08-2012
    C Cow
    Close to Perfection
    You guys only need to remove a few more rocks from the SFH trails, then I won't have to slow down as much on my road bike.



    Moo
  • 01-13-2013
    MTBNate
    The South Foothills sanitization is totally ridiculous!

    Someone spent quite a while to chisel/saw this rock in the trail (thx to my neighbor, David for the pic):

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../Junk/file.jpg
  • 01-13-2013
    Fuglio
    Thats off the switch backs on U-Mound? If so its been gone a while(over a month) i tried putting it back twice and it just got moved again..... if your going down that direction you can head left at the power line poles at the top and get some rocky goodness that way
  • 01-13-2013
    mtbike52
    Seems like its like that from one end to the other of the SFH.How the heck has this person not been seen with the hours and hours all this sanitizing took. Must have been at night. Lets hope he is done.
  • 01-13-2013
    Bent Wheel
    R.A.T.S. Riders Against Trail Sanitation. We are forming a group here in Far-Nor-Cal to try & stop just this kind of shtuff.
    I also like the trail sign, where can I get one?
  • 01-13-2013
    MTB ABQ
    Has me feeling ill
    U mound was definitely hit again. Thinking there's but a single spot left on those switchbacks where you have to pop your front wheel. This last round chiseled 3 spots for certain, all since last Sunday, sigh. Same round also worked over the water bar berms in the bowl around copper. So it's someone with a pick AND shovel, grrrr.

    Thinking myself it must be some retiree, getting after it on a week day when everyone who cares about such vandalism is at work. :madmax:
  • 01-14-2013
    Calhoun
    Last week we came across a group of people walking their dogs. It was all smiles and how are you until someone mentioned the trail vandal. Each person in the group showed disgust, one of them strung together some colorful expletives even. It isn't just the bikers that this is upsetting.
  • 01-14-2013
    MTBNate
    My neighbor has been hiking in the S Foothills for 15 yrs and he says the sanitizing is even worse above the trails we can ride bikes on:

    "...in several places some tall chollas, some oaks, other prickly pears, etc completely butchered or ripped out next to the trails..."