Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: White Mesa GTG?

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004

White Mesa GTG?

Like TomP, friends and I are looking at White Mesa on Sunday, albeit with less of a drive than Tom. Yeah, it'll be cold, but when you're stir crazy and want to ride, whacha gonna do? Did they get much snow down in SY, and are things muddy or mostly dry? And if WM is wet, might the northern end of RM be better? TIA,
    - Joe
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

RCC
    Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe View Post
    Like TomP, friends and I are looking at White Mesa on Sunday, albeit with less of a drive than Tom. Yeah, it'll be cold, but when you're stir crazy and want to ride, whacha gonna do? Did they get much snow down in SY, and are things muddy or mostly dry? And if WM is wet, might the northern end of RM be better? TIA,
    - Joe
    Hey Joe,I haven't been out there but most of it if not all the precipitation here in Alb. is been pretty much on the east side of the Sandias,unless someone can provide a better info on WM, I think you guys will be fine.Happy Trails.
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

on the flats
    Feb 2011
    its dry as heck out here in Rio Rancho, I was wheeling out at the end of Southern last week. Ill suspect its dry at WM. Go have some fun as more snow is suspected early next week.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the info.
    - Joe
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RCC View Post
    Hey Joe,I haven't been out there but most of it if not all the precipitation here in Alb. is been pretty much on the east side of the Sandias,unless someone can provide a better info on WM, I think you guys will be fine.Happy Trails.
    RCC
    What about the west side of the Sandias, Ramon? Is Otero ridable?

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Quote Originally Posted by SSweetleaf View Post
    What about the west side of the Sandias, Ramon? Is Otero ridable?
    Otero is about 80% covered with snow. Snow is only about 3in and trail is fairly packed. Damn cold in there.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

Airborne Flight Crew
    WM was clear last Saturday... so if no new precip has occurred, it should be good.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbike52 View Post
    Otero is about 80% covered with snow. Snow is only about 3in and trail is fairly packed. Damn cold in there.
    Thanks mtbike52, So is it worth heading out there or should I just stick to the east side?

mtbr member
    - Joe
    Hey Joe, if you go ride, take some pics will ya? Thanks!
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Quote Originally Posted by SSweetleaf View Post
    Thanks mtbike52, So is it worth heading out there or should I just stick to the east side?
    Brian rode out there today. I think he had a pretty good time. What snow there is is pretty solid. Not much mud at all. You just can't rip it like normal. Go for it.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    What, and contribute actual content here? Pfffft! Alright, I'll see what I can do. Ya know, you & C. are welcome to tag along. Gimme a call at home if you're interested. Aiming for FIP at 11:00.
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Blister Butt View Post
    Hey Joe, if you go ride, take some pics will ya? Thanks!

mtbr member
    I just hiked the whole loop with my family yesterday. No snow or mud, fully GTG! I'm planning on riding there today, mind if I join ya? I was thinking of doing 2-3 laps or maybe riding the detour out to the mines on White Mesa itself. Some fun tech descents and climbs and an open playground once you get over there. Maybe we can get some more NM crew to join?
    nix that, livin la vida bandos is a good idea when you're on a Mojo HD

"babies don't drink coors" - del norte

mtbr member
    Had a fun two laps of WM today. Hit the cliff line at the end of the Dragon's Back too for the first time. REM runs are great for skills. Pretty full lot and I only came close to two riders.

I guess it will get snow tonight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails White Mesa GTG?-737091_2604758095928_1121750246_o-large-.jpg  

nix that, livin la vida bandos is a good idea when you're on a Mojo HD

"babies don't drink coors" - del norte

Hammer

WM last week

The big hole!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails White Mesa GTG?-2012-12-26-13.29.28.jpg  

Placitas Tim

mtbr member
    May 2012
    planning on going out there tomorrow or wednesday, Is it better to ride the loop clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsbw68 View Post
    planning on going out there tomorrow or wednesday, Is it better to ride the loop clockwise or counter-clockwise?
    I am sure that some will disagree, any thing but clockwise is a waste of time. The roller coaster ride down dragons back is not so fun the other way.
    Placitas Tim

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks ,hopefully it will be nice tomorrow

Is the bike OK?
    Ride it clockwise if you're doing one loop but you it's worth going the other way if you feel like doing two loops for a better workout.

Anyone know how conditions will be tomorrow with today's snow? I heard it snowed in Rio Rancho today and don't know if that will be gone and dry by tomorrow or not.

I <3 NM
    Last edited by MTBNate; 12-31-2012 at 02:46 PM.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Hey Joe,

Thanks for the invite. The missus came down with the crud, so no ride there. Hope you had a chance to go. From what the word was on here, conditions were great. We'll see if this storm did anything...

What, and contribute actual content here? Pfffft! Alright, I'll see what I can do. Ya know, you & C. are welcome to tag along. Gimme a call at home if you're interested. Aiming for FIP at 11:00.
    - Joe
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    I bailed. I'd had visions of riding dry trail under a sunny sky, which is what the Wx forecast showed, but when I woke to totally overcast skies, driving 3 hrs tot. to ride in the cold & gray made a session on the trainer in the garage sound a bit more appealing. But we'll head down there sometime soon, and I'll keep you in the loop.
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Blister Butt View Post
    Hey Joe,

Thanks for the invite. The missus came down with the crud, so no ride there. Hope you had a chance to go. From what the word was on here, conditions were great. We'll see if this storm did anything...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    To Cabra Cadabra, can you say more about riding the cliff line at the end of the Dragon's Back? Do you roll it with no brakes? If so, how's the run out stopping before the fence? Or do you jump it? Been eyeing it along with some of the other steep tech in the area. Trying to figure out how to get the courage to go for these steeper lines and not kill myself.

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by ABQ Clydesdale View Post
    To Cabra Cadabra, can you say more about riding the cliff line at the end of the Dragon's Back? Do you roll it with no brakes? If so, how's the run out stopping before the fence? Or do you jump it? Been eyeing it along with some of the other steep tech in the area. Trying to figure out how to get the courage to go for these steeper lines and not kill myself.
    I can't answer for Cabra C, but I roll it "taint-to-tire" style w/brakes.

I've seen some guys bomb straight down it though.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by ABQ Clydesdale View Post
    My son and I ride off the very tip. The main thing is to keep off the back a bit, not to much. If you ride to far back you lose a bit of steering control. You don't need to really hit the brakes hard until you near the bottom. If you skid the rear brake all the way down you are not doing it right
    Placitas Tim

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ABQ_Biker View Post
    My son and I ride off the very tip. The main thing is to keep off the back a bit, not to much. If you ride to far back you lose a bit of steering control. You don't need to really hit the brakes hard until you near the bottom. If you skid the rear brake all the way down you are not doing it right
    And you guys are talking about the line furthest to the right, correct? Down the most vertical line? I comfortably handle the middle line but haven't found the stones to go down the right yet.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast