Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: White Mesa GTG?

Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by ABQ Clydesdale View Post
    And you guys are talking about the line furthest to the right, correct? Down the most vertical line? I comfortably handle the middle line but haven't found the stones to go down the right yet.
    Yeah to the right. But, it is just a mental thing. As long as you let the bike do its thing and NOT hit the brakes, it just flows. Start out slow at the top before dropping in and you will not have too much speed at the bottom to stop.
    Placitas Tim

I <3 NM
    Oh... never mind, I do the middle & left lines but I've seen peeps do the right one on long travel 26rs w/drop posts.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ABQ_Biker View Post
    Yeah to the right. But, it is just a mental thing. As long as you let the bike do its thing and NOT hit the brakes, it just flows. Start out slow at the top before dropping in and you will not have too much speed at the bottom to stop.
    Thanks ABQ_Biker!

mtbr member
    I use brakes but don't skid (as much as possible). I'm pretty anti-skidding unless its fully loose like the bottom of that line. Of course I haven't ridden it w/ my bando bros, so I'm sure there is a whole other way of doing it.

Funny, last year I wouldn't have done it and I also worried about being able to stop, but that seems silly now.

Best cure for tech woes is a dose of Bandos ride tag along honestly. You go from "no Fing way", to "wait people do that?", to doing it. At my age I wait until I'm 95% confident and then hit it, if you think you will bail you probably will. Give er some time and when ready hit that shite!

I'll post here next time I go and let's ride it.
    nix that, livin la vida bandos is a good idea when you're on a Mojo HD

"babies don't drink coors" - del norte

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cabra cadabra View Post
    Best cure for tech woes is a dose of Bandos ride tag along honestly. You go from "no Fing way", to "wait people do that?", to doing it. At my age I wait until I'm 95% confident and then hit it, if you think you will bail you probably will. Give er some time and when ready hit that shite!

I'll post here next time I go and let's ride it.
    Thanks Cabra. I ran into Lynn in the SFH a couple weeks ago and have definitely been thinking about a Bando ride-along, or maybe multiple Bando ride-alongs. Lynn gave me a couple pointers just in the 10 minutes or so I was with him. As for hitting WM, I'm definitely up for it.

Just need to coordinate schedules. I've got two other guys I usually ride with who are more fearless than me, and we are all hoping to make 2013 the year we really increase our courage and downhill tech skills!

mtbr member
    dropper post FTW.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ABQ_Biker View Post
    My son and I ride off the very tip. The main thing is to keep off the back a bit, not to much. If you ride to far back you lose a bit of steering control. You don't need to really hit the brakes hard until you near the bottom. If you skid the rear brake all the way down you are not doing it right
    I personally watched Andrew drop that line several times one afternoon, despite having a broken (and casted) wrist. He made it look a whole lot easier than it actually is.
    Got religion? I am happy for you, however please keep it to yourself..thanks!

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by cabra cadabra View Post

w3rd

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    so I am guessing White Mesa got snow out of this last storm... wonder when it will be good to ride again??? Was hoping for this weekend...

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by m_dub007 View Post
    so I am guessing White Mesa got snow out of this last storm... wonder when it will be good to ride again??? Was hoping for this weekend...
    This past Sunday there were traces of snow on the trail. Most likely will be good this weekend.

C S
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crux View Post
    This past Sunday there were traces of snow on the trail. Most likely will be good this weekend.
    I'll be there tomorrow, expecting good conditions

mtbr member
    I'm going tomorrow with the BTI crew. We should be there at noon. The more, the merrier. Not a hammer ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Cabra, wish I could make it tomorrow, but I'm on daddy duty. Please continue to post when you'll be going out there. Thanks!

mtbr member
    What time cabby?
    Last edited by Fuglio; 01-05-2013 at 08:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Noonish, from Santa Fe. I have a white Ibis.

mtbr member
    Turned out we got there around 11:30 and the 7 of us did the main loop plus went down the middle ridge and back up the east ridge again. My buddy tried to shoot some video of me down the end of the Dragon's Back but found out later he was in photo mode.

Who has hit that cliff down the middle ridge? About the same size as the REM one. I was ready to do it but thought better once I remembered I didn't have my flats on. Pretty tight entry but the right side looks rollable.

mtbr member
    Are you talking about the roller about halfway down the center spine? The line i take is about as far right as you can go. I ran into about 7 people but they were all on hardtail 29ers. Must of been my new bike using its big wheel magic to summon other 29ers.

I <3 NM
    purdy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Are you talking about the roller about halfway down the center spine? The line i take is about as far right as you can go. I ran into about 7 people but they were all on hardtail 29ers. Must of been my new bike using its big wheel magic to summon other 29ers.

Hey fuglio I was one of those guys you saw this past weekend... Props to you man, I was in awe on how you flew down that middle spine, that was very impressive. I wanted to comment on your t-shirt but I was the last one down the middle spine I was on the phone with a buddy and I didnt make it down in time. How did you ride that big drop on the center spine? Anyways nice Casualties tee.

mtbr member
    Its a little deceptive cause the trail leads where its all notched out. The line i take is far to the right you have to go wide then just trust the line and throw your ass back a little bit. If you wanted to huck it i think its possible but ive never tried theres no kicker or good run in or run out... now that you guys have me thinking about it one option might be to go far far right and instead of turning left for the roller just send it straight off amd a little left to get back on the trail. You would need to land about 15 feet out and 10 feet down.. i might stick to rolling it

mtbr member
    Props fuglio if you're hittin that with a hardtail. Hucking that would be sketchy. I think after a beer:30 you could easily do it.

mtbr member
    If anyone is out there today post up the conditions (did it get snow?). May hit that area tomorrow and we are doing a club ride Sunday. Gracias.

mtbr member
    Its a little deceptive cause the trail leads where its all notched out. The line i take is far to the right you have to go wide then just trust the line and throw your ass back a little bit. If you wanted to huck it i think its possible but ive never tried theres no kicker or good run in or run out...
    I stared at that line a couple of weeks ago but wasn't gutsy enough. Props to you!

I thought the line down on the right didn't look terrible in and of itself, but you don't have much space to maneuver when you get to the bottom and have to make that right hand turn, or run up on a rock mound on the other side. What does your exit look like?

mtbr member
    The exit is really easy just takes care of itself... the hardst part is spoting the entrance... have you been to the north valley bike park?

mtbr member
    The exit is really easy just takes care of itself... the hardst part is spoting the entrance... have you been to the north valley bike park?
    Cool, may have to give it a whirl next time I ride WM.

As for the NVBP, no, haven't checked it out yet. Just did a little google search to see what it was all about, looks cool!

North Valley Bike Park Grand Opening - New Mexico - Pinkbike

Will have to add it to the list when I'm up in ABQ next time (I live in Socorro).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast