Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr Buckeye...in Austin

Where to camp in Santa Fe, Los Alamos, Taos area

Coming there next week (Wed 7/16-Sun 7/20) from Austin, TX and having difficulties finding campsites (don't know the area or names of places).

I am having trouble finding camping locations available in that area, centrally located between the 3 or at least between Santa Fe and Los Alamos.

Is there a website, map, or phone number you could point me to that would have such information?

Looking for someplace for Tents with showers (don't want to scare off the wildlife too badly)

Thanks for your help!
    Erik

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    This place looks good.
    Tetilla Peak (NM)
    82 DAM CREST RD
    Pena Blanca NM 87041

SW of Santa Fe, so between Santa Fe and Los Alamos

23 miles to SF
    Near Los Alamos
    100 miles from Taos....sniff, sniff.....

Help!

or here
    Riana - Abiquiu Lake (NM)
    Abiquiu NM 87510-0290
    6,400 feet above sea level

this looks like a better option
    1 Hr to SF and to Taos,
    45 min to LA?
    Last edited by eokerholm; 07-10-2008 at 12:13 PM.

mtbr member
    The Tetilla campground is pretty nice, and close to the rides out at Cochiti. But you'll have almost an hour drive to the SF stuff, and almost 2hrs to LA and Taos.

There's tons of good, free camping in SF, LA, and Taos. Get yourself a solar shower or two and you guys will be set.

Bandolero

Second this

Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    There's tons of good, free camping in SF, LA, and Taos. Get yourself a solar shower or two and you guys will be set.
    Aspen Ranch is a good spot to camp as there's a ditch/stream nearby for water. Here's a thread with directions to the location. Here's teh googly directions. There's a couple decent rides right out your tent flap.
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    Aspen Ranch is a good spot to camp as there's a ditch/stream nearby for water. Here's a thread with directions to the location. Here's teh googly directions. There's a couple decent rides right out your tent flap.
    cool
    far poke to Los Alamos on Thurs, no?

not sure where they other trails are on a map (have the NNM trail book) so a tad clueless.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eokerholm
    cool
    far poke to Los Alamos on Thurs, no?

not sure where they other trails are on a map (have the NNM trail book) so a tad clueless.....
    LA will be about an hour from that campsite.

What trails are on your to-ride list? I should be free to play tourguide if you need one for Fri-Sun.

mtbr member
    I am having trouble finding camping locations available in that area, centrally located between the 3 or at least between Santa Fe and Los Alamos.

Erik
    The problem with a location central to the three is that there's a whole lot of desert nothing there...and what is there is generally a pueblo. Those are off-limits to the general public unless they happen to be part of that pueblo. So, your best bet is to pick one location and commute to the others.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    The Tetilla campground is pretty nice, and close to the rides out at Cochiti. But you'll have almost an hour drive to the SF stuff, and almost 2hrs to LA and Taos.

ride thread

Wed ?? Open for suggestions Winsor Shuttle downhill before the afternoon storms?
    Thurs = Battleship
    Fri = South Boundary (less traffic than Sat?)
    Sat = ? Glorietta Mesa and Baldy? Bandeleros Ride? Suggestions?
    Sun = ? Ride on the way out of town? Suggestions?

banned
    Gotta include the Sandia shuttle 10k/Faulty etc., now that the forest is reopening.

crap magnet
    If riding is your priority, I think your best bet is Hyde Park or Black Canyon CG. Yes, you've got to pay $10 a night but it's easy to get to (and out of) and there's lots of nice rides within easy pedaling distance or at most a 10 minute drive. (Winsor, Borrego, Big T, Bear Wallow, Chamisa, Sidewinder, Dale Ball etc). Easy access to 84/285 and therefore Los Alamos and Taos. Also, running water (no showers), picnic tables and fire pits. 8 miles to downtown Santa Fe. In short, no muss, no fuss.

Pacheco Canyon/Aspen Ranch is good for undeveloped sites but it's going to add 20-30 minutes of drive time (each way) anytime you want to go someplace.

My .02
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

Sublime Absurdity
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Gotta include the Sandia shuttle 10k/Faulty etc., now that the forest is reopening.
    I second that - this ride is not to be missed and it is a lot less likely to be rained out than the SF/Taos stuff. I'd also say that a good Otero romp should be on the menu.
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

mtbr member
    ride thread

Wed ?? Open for suggestions Winsor Shuttle downhill before the afternoon storms?
    Thurs = Battleship
    Fri = South Boundary (less traffic than Sat?)
    Sat = ? Glorietta Mesa and Baldy? Bandeleros Ride? Suggestions?
    Sun = ? Ride on the way out of town? Suggestions?

Wednesday, climb Winsor from Chamisa finishing with Sidewinder. I can't make that ride but can give detailed directions or hook up guide.

Thursday, yes hit Battleship with guide.

If I can wrangle up a cohort or two I could do South Boundary on Friday with you fellas.

Saturday...I'd suggest Cochiti, and could guide. Unless you want to be drunk and stoned all day, covering minimal ground and stroking egos, then I'd sugest the bandeleros ride. Another option for Saturday if you like techy trails is REM in Santa Fe.

Sunday I'd suggest an ABQ ride, Sandia mountain shuttle or loop, or Otero ride. It's on your way out of the state and will cut down on driving time home.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Wednesday, climb Winsor from Chamisa finishing with Sidewinder. I can't make that ride but can give detailed directions or hook up guide.

Thursday, yes hit Battleship with guide.

If I can wrangle up a cohort or two I could do South Boundary on Friday with you fellas.

Saturday...I'd suggest Cochiti, and could guide. Unless you want to be drunk and stoned all day, covering minimal ground and stroking egos, then I'd sugest the bandeleros ride. Another option for Saturday if you like techy trails is REM in Santa Fe.

Sunday I'd suggest an ABQ ride, Sandia mountain shuttle or loop, or Otero ride. It's on your way out of the state and will cut down on driving time home.
    If we camp in Hyde Memorial or whatever the name is we'll be close to Winsor on Wed.
    Still not sure what time we're getting in on Wed......but know we need to wrap up rides early in the afternoon.

Which will be worse (more crowded) Sandia or South Boundary on Saturday? Sandia looks fun, but how does it compare to the other local stuff? Silly ski park or worth the trip? Never been, never seen it. Just asking.

Speaking of shuttles do local shops do them, tours groups do them? Is there a company that does it? Like the do for ski resorts and stuff? Sorry newbie question.
    How do we get a shuttle at Winsor on Wed?

Glad they're opening up ABQ, that does make the Sunday ride a bit more fun.

What can we get in and still be on the road by 11ish?

banned

Such a hypocrite...

We have fun

AndyN rides suck.

AndyN gets drunk, stoned, and smokes cigarettes too

I am faster than AndyN

I also have more skills than AndyN and can cover more ground than him any day (remember Cochiti)

....and I love stroking my own ego! No one loves me better than me

Sure ride with AndyN, but make sure you wear your good spandex. You would not want to disappoint him

Your last few posts have been pitiful Andy. You went from MTBR kingpin to MTBR troll...too bad

You can't hide from us Andy, you will always be a Bandolero deep down. Except we really need to talk about getting you a girlfriend. I worry about you sometimes

When you are ready we will be here for you.

In the meantime keep practicing...

Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 07-11-2008 at 10:11 AM.

banned
    Just camp in Abq instead. There are lots of developed CG's here. KOA for one. Forget South Boundary there is plenty to keep you guys entertained between Abq, SF, and LA. You won't be disappointed.

Sublime Absurdity
    Personally, if I were a flatlander, I'd plan on riding Otero on your first day as it is the lowest elevation and gives you a chance to see how you are acclimating.

Which will be worse (more crowded) Sandia or South Boundary on Saturday? Sandia looks fun, but how does it compare to the other local stuff? Silly ski park or worth the trip? Never been, never seen it. Just asking.
    The Sandia ride that Mtn. Biker123 is talking about doesn't include the ski area up n' down. Basically, it is 4000 feet of descending on mostly rocky technical singletrack. Note that there are many short steep climbs on the last half of the ride that will kick your ass (unless you are uber fit). I prefer to do this ride on a weekday as you have a higher chance of running into a bear than people, but even on a Sat you will only run into a few people. From a weather perspective, the top 75% is rideable when wet and once you get past the 1st 1/2 hour or so, there is a lot of tree cover. Just don't be at the top when the lightning is brewing.

This ride is very epic and not to be missed. A+++ would buy from again!!!!
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by sodade
    Personally, if I were a flatlander, I'd plan on riding Otero on your first day as it is the lowest elevation and gives you a chance to see how you are acclimating.

The Sandia ride that Mtn. Biker123 is talking about doesn't include the ski area up n' down. Basically, it is 4000 feet of descending on mostly rocky technical singletrack. Note that there are many short steep climbs on the last half of the ride that will kick your ass (unless you are uber fit). I prefer to do this ride on a weekday as you have a higher chance of running into a bear than people, but even on a Sat you will only run into a few people. From a weather perspective, the top 75% is rideable when wet and once you get past the 1st 1/2 hour or so, there is a lot of tree cover. Just don't be at the top when the lightning is brewing.

This ride is very epic and not to be missed. A+++ would buy from again!!!!
    We're totally flexible on staying whereever.
    We'll move the campsite on Saturday (post ride) to near ABQ or wherever we're going to be riding Sunday morning to make the exodus faster.

Epic means what exactly? we need to get in a ride, clean up and get the hell out of dodge to make it back Sun by midnight or so.

camping suggestions for this Sunday ride?

mtbr member
    If we camp in Hyde Memorial or whatever the name is we'll be close to Winsor on Wed.
    Still not sure what time we're getting in on Wed......but know we need to wrap up rides early in the afternoon.

Speaking of shuttles do local shops do them, tours groups do them? Is there a company that does it? Like the do for ski resorts and stuff? Sorry newbie question.
    How do we get a shuttle at Winsor on Wed?

Glad they're opening up ABQ, that does make the Sunday ride a bit more fun.

What can we get in and still be on the road by 11ish?
    Nothing out here will be crowded compared to Austin, even on weekends unless you ride the foothills.

Sandia is great, most of the good stuff isn't even in the ski area.

South Boundary is a hoot, especially for first timers. Native Sons Adventures in Taos used to run shuttle service for the ride, I shot them an email to see if they still do but haven't heard back yet.

Shuttling Winsor is a pain if you do it yourself, and I'm not aware of any shuttle service in Santa Fe.

Otero is another option for Sunday, short or long rides can be strung together to get you going by 11am depending on start time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I will jump in here just to ask if anyone can recommend a simple place to camp in the Sandia's, coming down to race tomorrow and wanted to make a weekend of it with the kids. No shower needed no RV's wanted, just a meadow that it would be ok to camp in and toss the football around. PM me if you want to keep it secret and I wont tell anyone.
    Its the internet...we all sleep with supermodels.

banned
    Cedro Campground on South 14.

Wanna meet up on Sunday for a ride? We have a 13 yr old that could use some company....Monica probably won't mind if just for a few hours.

banned
    South Boundary (proper) is overrated IMO. Including EBT or the secret Mondragon trail might make it worth the drive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Is that the campground that the trails take off from? if it is sounds good to me. What exit to get off at? or is there a sign coming down from Sandia Ski Area? we have to do big city stuff so earlier gooder.

banned
    Check your msgs

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos
    Is that the campground that the trails take off from? if it is sounds good to me. What exit to get off at? or is there a sign coming down from Sandia Ski Area? we have to do big city stuff so earlier gooder.
    Cool here is the map.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks. Out of curiosity, what are you using for a map program? Do you use a GPS or are you drawing maps? Have you tried sending them as txt. files? This worked just fine, I drew it into TOPO by hand but was wondering about electronic possibilities.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast