mtbr member
    May 2004

Where to camp for Pajarito?

I am headed up to Pajarito for the first time. Our plans are to spend one night camping and I wanted to get the locals' take on where to stay.

The mountain says that the closest is the Camp May campground NW of the resort parking area.
    Looks like Bandelier Nat Mon. is the next closest.
    We also have a recommendation for camping in Jemez.

Can someone point us in the best direction? We will be coming up from Sta Fe and would like something not only relatively close, but enjoyable as well.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by CharacterZero; 08-18-2009 at 09:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Camp May has a rave most weekends that go all night. I always like to camp in the Jeme, about 20 minute drive up the hill. What dates are you coming to Paj?

mtbr member
    May 2004

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by delnorte
    Camp May has a rave most weekends that go all night. I always like to camp in the Jeme, about 20 minute drive up the hill. What dates are you coming to Paj?
    Hey -
    If it weren't for wanting to make the most of the MTB end of the trip, I might just stay at Camp May!

We are headed up the 9/12 weekend - we have some friends up there, and one of us is an experienced DH-type. Two of us are ready to progress and this will be our first lift-serviced trip and we should have one relative newb along to have some fun.

So is your campground of choice a public one? A secret stash that you keep in the woods? You can plead the 5th if you are so inclined.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Are you looking for a developed FS-type campground w/ toilets and perhaps potable water, or are you OK w/ boondocking?

banned
    No worries, J.

What kind of facilities do you desire?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    No worries, J.

What kind of facilities do you desire?
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe
    Are you looking for a developed FS-type campground w/ toilets and perhaps potable water, or are you OK w/ boondocking?
    Well, I suppose majority rule on the accomodations...I will check in on comfort levels with the others and post back up.
    It is only for 1 night, but a hot shower might be nice.

mtbr member
    May 2004

update

Talked to my bud who has buds up there (supramk388 et al?)...looks like everything is all lined up.
    I like to get this stuff figured out ahead of time, I didn't realize that we'd be meeting up with a growing group of riders who are familiar with camping in the area!

Getting stoked for this...

supramk388...looking forward to meeting you guys. I saw the pics you posted with Rob riding...
    Last edited by CharacterZero; 08-20-2009 at 02:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    hey guys, I am heading there the same weekend. I would love to meet up with yall, we have never been, looking to do some freeride and DH trails, It would be cool to meet up and get some advice on what to ride, we are going to be camping as well

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa
    hey guys, I am heading there the same weekend. I would love to meet up with yall, we have never been, looking to do some freeride and DH trails, It would be cool to meet up and get some advice on what to ride, we are going to be camping as well
    I got your PM. I'll keep my eyes open for you - It is my first time, so I am along for the ride.