Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    zul
    Will Guide for Beer

What's to ride .. this weekend in NM?!?

Winter storm is headed your way and so am I. The original plan is 3-4 days of Santa Fe and Chaco Canyon. Maybe some paddle time on the San Juan or Bisti Bad Lands.

I'll have my bike and plenty of time to play. Problem is, I've never been out thatta way and have no idea where trail heads are at or which trails are good post winter weather?? Realizing that some of your goods are up high and under snow ...

Any suggestions?
    Typically riding gnar & tech but also happy with xc or smooth track.

I have a Garmin if there are tracks or way points that might help?

Thanks in advance!!

zul
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    I'll be headed in from Flag/Sedona so I'll be driving through Alq and Gallop on Thu and Sun. Anything easy to access for the directionally challenged? I can sniff out single track but pavement scares me.
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

mtbr member

not true

Quote Originally Posted by barleylegal View Post
    the best parts of santa fe are not ready to ride yet.. Let me know if you make it to albuquerque
    Actually, the above statement is very wrong, because some of Santa Fe's best is very ride-able right now.
    La Tierra & the Trash Pit are good to go.
    Dale ball trails are also good to go right now. That includes Atalaya (9100ft) & Picacho (8500ft) peaks, which is some of the best technical riding in Santa Fe. There's a bit of snow on the top, north side of Atalaya, but it can still be negotiated.
    We'll see how it looks after this coming storm. PM me if you want a riding buddy. I'll be skiing on weekend days, but I'm game for a night ride on weeknights.

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte View Post
    Actually, the above statement is very wrong, because some of Santa Fe's best is very ride-able right now.
    Dale ball trails are also good to go right now. That includes Atalaya (9100ft) & Picacho (8500ft) peaks, which is some of the best technical riding in Santa Fe. There's a bit of snow on the top, north side of Atalaya, but it can still be negotiated.
    We'll see how it looks after this coming storm. PM me if you want a riding buddy. I'll be skiing on weekend days, but I'm game for a night ride on weeknights.
    If SF is anything like LA today we went from mostly dry trails to snowed in again this morning. Last night Kristin and I did a quick ride at La Tierra and the trails were in perfect shape.

However, there were a bunch of deep trenches dug all over the beginning of the main jump lines at the Trash Pit. I'm hoping they are putting in water lines to water the jumps this summer. Does anyone know whats up with these?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson View Post
    However, there were a bunch of deep trenches dug all over the beginning of the main jump lines at the Trash Pit. I'm hoping they are putting in water lines to water the jumps this summer. Does anyone know whats up with these?
    They have installed a water tank in the ground up there. It's not at the top of the hill, or near the road, which is puzzling to me.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Are those jumps all huge n' stuff? Or is there like beginner lines where you can sort of build up and then graduate to larger stuff? I want to check it out but don't want to drive up there and then just look at stuff
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    plenty of opportunities for progression, not "go big or go home."
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Airborne Flight Crew
    Sweet. Going to have to make plans soon, thanks!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    If ya end up going to Chaco (which I highly, highly recommend), the trail at the end of the road is some double-track that you can take your mountain bike on all the way out to the Super Nova pictograph and hike up to the top of the mesa for a great view and some really weather pueblos.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Santa Fe got missed by the storms so everything is still GTG. BTW the Trashpit is surrounded by 15+ miles of mostly single track trails so you can work on your fitness as well as flying.

mtbr member
    I plan on checking out the bike park at around 11ish on Sat if anyone wants to meet up. Never been and I totally suck at jumps and skinnies, getting OK at techy rollers (loved SFH w/ RCC and jhazard). I only have a big FS bike, which I know isn't the right tool (HT is), but wondering if there are smaller features that I can tackle to work my way up to bigger stuff on the real trails. Do they have small, medium and large drops?
    nix that, livin la vida bandos is a good idea when you're on a Mojo HD

"babies don't drink coors" - del norte

saddlemeat
    Gallup's High Desert Trail System is sloppy again, got a few inches of snow yesterday. The Zuni Mts are under a lot of snow, no rideable trails there until after spring melt, mid/late April.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by cabra cadabra View Post
    I plan on checking out the bike park at around 11ish on Sat if anyone wants to meet up. Never been and I totally suck at jumps and skinnies, getting OK at techy rollers (loved SFH w/ RCC and jhazard). I only have a big FS bike, which I know isn't the right tool (HT is), but wondering if there are smaller features that I can tackle to work my way up to bigger stuff on the real trails. Do they have small, medium and large drops?
    You'll have a good time there on your FS. There are two pump tracks which are a blast, and the first jump section has three "lines" right next to each other, going small, medium, bigger than medium (wouldn't call it large). There's also a larger jump line separate from that one, if you feel froggy.

The Log ride section should keep you occupied, not a lot of logs, but an interesting set up to challenge just about anyone.

Sorry, no "drop" zone, but hitting the small jump line will be great practice (they're all table tops, so you can't miss!).
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Anyone else finding it funny that we were missed by the 'storm' and now today we are getting snow? Friggen NM weather sometimes...

crap magnet
    I plan to ride LaTierra after work today. There's been some snow downtown but not much - maybe an inch. Hopefully temps stay < freezing or it might be kinda sloppy.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by barleylegal View Post
    Bring a shock pump cabra. You want to be set up stiff for the pump track.
    Yeah, I won't even both with the pumptrack. Thanks, will bring JIC.

C S
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte View Post
    I'm going to head to the trash pit for the first time this year tomorrow. If it's too windy or muddy I won't ride though, just work on anything that needs work. There wasn't much snow on the ground at the house this morning, probably going to be gone pretty soon once it gets sunny.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by C S View Post
    I'm going to head to the trash pit for the first time this year tomorrow. If it's too windy or muddy I won't ride though, just work on anything that needs work. There wasn't much snow on the ground at the house this morning, probably going to be gone pretty soon once it gets sunny.
    Let us know how it is, if it's GTG, I'm going to head up on Sunday.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

crap magnet
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    My ride tonight didn't take me past the trash pit but the trails were in perfect condition.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

C S
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    I walked around and checked it out this evening. The trenches Neal mentioned earlier are still around in spots and the water tank is still waiting to be covered. Looks like most of the easy/intermediate lines should be good to go with some work, but the main lines are out until they are done with the tank. I didn't walk down to the bottom but I didn't see any sign that work was being done down there. The rider's left entrance to the step up/hip could be rebuilt pretty quickly, but I'm not 100% sure they're done working in that area. I'll be out tomorrow working on getting as much as I can rideable! The dirt should be great after this last storm.

Also, the weather Sunday looks like it's going to suck for DJ...too windy. I'm planning to be out there next Friday as well. Hit me up if you're coming up - I live 5 min from the trash pit

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by C S View Post
    I walked around and checked it out this evening. The trenches Neal mentioned earlier are still around in spots and the water tank is still waiting to be covered. Looks like most of the easy/intermediate lines should be good to go with some work, but the main lines are out until they are done with the tank. I didn't walk down to the bottom but I didn't see any sign that work was being done down there. The rider's left entrance to the step up/hip could be rebuilt pretty quickly, but I'm not 100% sure they're done working in that area. I'll be out tomorrow working on getting as much as I can rideable! The dirt should be great after this last storm.

Also, the weather Sunday looks like it's going to suck for DJ...too windy. I'm planning to be out there next Friday as well. Hit me up if you're coming up - I live 5 min from the trash pit
    Thanks for the update! If wind is coming, I'm probably not. Maybe next weekend though - I'll hit you back if I end up going. Thanks again!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    So I was at the bike park for about 5 hours yesterday. It was totally worth it. Got a lot of skinny riding in and worked on jumping a lot. Set my compression settings full firm. I was the only FS bike the whole day... Now I'm in the market for a DJ bike. Wondering if it is possible to get a bike which would be good as a HT for XC and DJ or if they are just too different. Would be nice to find a complete or a used. I have my Kona Cadabra and a drum set I'm looking to sell/trade. Anyone know of a good review on DJ bikes and the various sub-categories?

Airborne Flight Crew
    That park is great for skill building. I need to go out and practice my skinny riding. Ready for the Trash Pit now?

A hard tail XC frame is small size could probably do double duty, but you'll enjoy it more with a dedicated DJ bike. Maybe check Pinkbike (ugh) for people willing for trades. Or, of course I have to suggest the Airborne Wingman because they're doing a sale on them right now at $499 with free shipping, it's a great deal.

Most brands come in right out $500-$599 for their DJ's, but most have a rigid fork.

Blasphemous I know, but wallyworld actually has decent entry-level DK dirt jumper for $229, though it does have a rigid fork. Comes with tubular chromo cranks, chromo frame, double wall rims, probably not bad for getting your feet wet.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cabra cadabra View Post
    So I was at the bike park for about 5 hours yesterday. It was totally worth it. Got a lot of skinny riding in and worked on jumping a lot. Set my compression settings full firm. I was the only FS bike the whole day... Now I'm in the market for a DJ bike. Wondering if it is possible to get a bike which would be good as a HT for XC and DJ or if they are just too different. Would be nice to find a complete or a used. I have my Kona Cadabra and a drum set I'm looking to sell/trade. Anyone know of a good review on DJ bikes and the various sub-categories?
    What's to ride .. this weekend in NM?!?-bikes_klunker_pic1.jpg

Transition Bikes
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    yeah the clunker looks fun, but would not be good for DJing I think. i think I'm biting on a Wingman.

FYI y'all, was riding La Tierra yesterday (finally did a bunch of ladder drops across from the pits, yes!) and both the trash pits and the BMX are really torn up with even more trenches than the last time I saw it. i posted to the #sftrails twitter feed. i'll update it when things change and I see it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast