Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

What's not closed and still worthwhile

I travel to ABQ regularly and bring the bike I like to stop along the way (usually Santa Fe) and ride after work in ABQ. Last week all the good stuff in both ABQ and Santa Fe were closed due to fire danger.

Is there anywhere else along the way worth riding? I really don't need to do White Mesa yet again and it's getting real hot, so I'm looking for something in the mountains. I can take the back way through Los Alamos or Taos if need be. I've ridden Pajarito Canyon in LA and Ojitos/Talpa/Devisadaro/Taos Valley Overlook in Taos.

Is there anything else you would recommend that's not under closure?

Thanks for any replies.
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Nothing in LA is closed as yet, and if past years are any indication, nothing will be closed no matter how dire the fire danger gets. But the fact is that most everything we have here requires a local guide to put together a decent ride if you've not been here before. Post up a date & time you'll be thru - if you're interested - and I expect you'll get an offer.
    - Joe
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

crap magnet
    We're still riding in Santa Fe. Nothing closed yet.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004
    Thanks for the responses.

If all goes well at work, I'll be passing through Wed (tomorrow, June 19) morning.
    I was thinking something up Guaje Ridge. I've got a good map. I brought my old hardtail on this trip, but don't mind a rocky ride.

I'm always looking to ride something I haven't ridden before. I think I've already hit all the easily accessible stuff around Santa Fe (Dale Ball North/Central/Atayala, Cerillos, Rail Trail, Galisteo, La Tierra). Last trip I was headed for Glorieta Baldy, but most of that route was in the closure are.
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fischman View Post
    Thanks for the responses.

If all goes well at work, I'll be passing through Wed (tomorrow, June 19) morning.
    I was thinking something up Guaje Ridge. I've got a good map. I brought my old hardtail on this trip, but don't mind a rocky ride.

I'm always looking to ride something I haven't ridden before. I think I've already hit all the easily accessible stuff around Santa Fe (Dale Ball North/Central/Atayala, Cerillos, Rail Trail, Galisteo, La Tierra). Last trip I was headed for Glorieta Baldy, but most of that route was in the closure are.
    If you happen to be here at the right time I could give you a shuttle up to Pajarito at 5pm Wed night if you want to ride Guaje from there. We do trail work every Wed night. I haven't had a chance to ride Guaje this season but it should be in great shape. They had the Jemez Mountain Run on it about a month ago and we've had some descent rain over last several days. If you want to work harder for Guaje just ride up Quemazon/Pipeline. Quemazon is in great shape too.

..Edit.. Just saw you mentioned morning so scratch the shuttle idea. If you ride up in the am the temperatures should be good for climbing.