Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What is Nine?

I <3 NM
    :sigh:

Remember when the NM Forum was like New Mexico itself?

WILD, EPIC, and a bit UNRULY?
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Trail Name?

Hey guys. I am not trying to derail the thread but I would like to know the name of this trail. I believe that I saw Medio Dia earlier in the thread but was hoping someone could confirm this for me. I just moved to Albuquerque a few months ago and am trying to soak up all that NM has to offer. The pictures are absolutely breathtaking and I would love to ride this trail.

Thanks in advance!

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by crash8522 View Post
    Hey guys. I am not trying to derail the thread but I would like to know the name of this trail. I believe that I saw Medio Dia earlier in the thread but was hoping someone could confirm this for me. I just moved to Albuquerque a few months ago and am trying to soak up all that NM has to offer. The pictures are absolutely breathtaking and I would love to ride this trail.

Thanks in advance!
    Pics covered a few trails up in the Cochiti area. Fire last year wiped out most of the area including Medio Dia. Don't know about Pines (the tent rocks pics) or the beaver damn cabin, but would assume they have been consumed as well. Area is and has been officially off limits since the fire. Have a few firefighter friends who have told me about what remains and have seen Dixions since the fire / flood and it is not pretty. Was out in the Jemez area with some locals and they were saying the fire came right up to their pueblo meaning Bland and Abermale would have been consumed as well.

This was my favorite area to ride in NM till the fire. If you drive out to Jemez for the East Forks trail it is nice (and should still be there). If you can do a shuttle from East forks to Battle ship that makes for a nice ride.

There are some other trails in the area which were old mining / logging routes that have been 90% reclaimed which are cool, but you really need to know where to start finding them. If you know where Fenton Lake is the trails are beyond off to the right once you pass over a sandy overlook. Would recommend a 4x4 as the sandy section can become very deep under the right conditions.

RCC
    Bandolero
    Some good times! Thanks for the reminder Nate
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

2011 Cochiti 100

Quote Originally Posted by crux View Post
    Pics covered a few trails up in the Cochiti area. Fire last year wiped out most of the area including Medio Dia. Don't know about Pines (the tent rocks pics) or the beaver damn cabin, but would assume they have been consumed as well. Area is and has been officially off limits since the fire. Have a few firefighter friends who have told me about what remains and have seen Dixions since the fire / flood and it is not pretty. Was out in the Jemez area with some locals and they were saying the fire came right up to their pueblo meaning Bland and Abermale would have been consumed as well.

This was my favorite area to ride in NM till the fire. If you drive out to Jemez for the East Forks trail it is nice (and should still be there). If you can do a shuttle from East forks to Battle ship that makes for a nice ride.
    I'll always remember hanging with an awesome group of riders last year, after the first loop of the C100. We may have been the last group of riders on those trails. I still have a picture of my bike propped against a tree that may be gone now.

Moo

banned
    May 2014

Cochiti

Every once in a while, it's nice to rehash a memory or two.

Nate's post ^above says it all.

mtbr member
    Man, a tear just came to my eye. : (

banned
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SSweetleaf View Post
    Yeah, knobby flexing his muscle can bring the emotion for sure!

banned
    May 2014
    BTW, no one has yet to guess the correct association with NINE....

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tres Bottelas View Post
    Every once in a while, it's nice to rehash a memory or two.

Nate's post ^above says it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by SSweetleaf View Post
    Damn... it's easy to forget just how cool the NM forum used to be back when everyone just rode, drank, hung out and posted the pix.

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Has any of the trials in the area been restored to rideable condition? Never got to ride any of it.

banned
    May 2014
    I am thinking of doing a recon in a few weeks if you wanna go. woodhog, and old time member here, says it's like a nuke hit the place. If there is anything worth reviving, I will be looking into getting approval from local forest service and getting a chainsaw certification. Although, the ideal way to access a many of the old routes with a chainsaw would be with a moto (like they did originally), and the TMP has evidently excluded all motorized use in the area.

What a waste...

Genius
    Sadly no. I was up there a couple weeks ago. The main road up to Dixons was heavily barricaded with trespasser signs right where the pavement ends. It reminded me of a military barricade. So I rode up the BLM road just before it which is open for a few miles and the whole area is a mess. Lots of debris remain in some areas while others look like they just burned yesterday. The trails I went looking for, I could not find any sign of. There could be pieces of other trails but frankly the whole place looked eerily unstable. What the fired did not destroy, the 5-10 floods after did. Any new trials out there will be built from scratch, if it ever opens up again in our lifetime. Floods will be a problem until the vegetation returns. I will be up there again next week on business and will continue to poke around for anything useful.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

banned
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by De La Pena View Post
    Sadly no. I was up there a couple weeks ago. The main road up to Dixons was heavily barricaded with trespasser signs right were the pavement ends. I reminded me of a military barricade. So I rode up the BLM road just before it which is open for a few miles and the whole area is a mess. Lots of debris remain in some areas while others look like they just burned yesterday. The trails I went looking for, I could not find any sign of. There could be pieces of other trails but frankly the whole place looked eerily unstable. What the fired did not destroy, the 5-10 floods after did. Any new trials out there will be built from scratch, if it ever opens up again in our lifetime. Floods will be a problem until the vegetation returns.
    woodhog also said that FS had attempted to rehab CS from the top down, but soon gave up. Possibly for the reasons that you speak of.

Suxors!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2