Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

What happened to friendly riders in Alb?

I went out for a quick after work ride in the Foothills and was not terribly pleased with the other riders out there. Normally *most* riders I see/pass in Albuquerque are at least cordial if not down right friendly, not tonight though.

I passed 10 or 12 other riders, some were completely oblivious to the fact that I was climbing through the pebbles, because they blitzed right down forcing me off the trail without so much as an excuse me. This happened with two different 2 rider groups. I also passed a bunch of single riders that made no effort to even return a greeting. I'm not generally looking to tell them my life's story, but a "hey" or "evening" would have been nice. None of these passings were on tough sections so I must not have a friendly look about me these days. Even the hikers and runners were more friendly. I always let them pick my path by them and say thanks or offer a greeting and it's generally returned.

I did run into a very nice rider who stopped for a 2 minute trail talk about bikes. Both of us gave the other the right of way, since we both stopped it was quick "how do you like your bike type convo". That's what it should be like IMO.

This is not the norm from my experience, but tonight's ride sure would put me off if I was new to Albuquerque.

Just ranting here, please be friendly out there.

Tim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TBarnaby
    I went out for a quick after work ride in the Foothills and was not terribly pleased with the other riders out there. Normally *most* riders I see/pass in Albuquerque are at least cordial if not down right friendly, not tonight though.

I passed 10 or 12 other riders, some were completely oblivious to the fact that I was climbing through the pebbles, because they blitzed right down forcing me off the trail without so much as an excuse me. This happened with two different 2 rider groups. I also passed a bunch of single riders that made no effort to even return a greeting. I'm not generally looking to tell them my life's story, but a "hey" or "evening" would have been nice. None of these passings were on tough sections so I must not have a friendly look about me these days. Even the hikers and runners were more friendly. I always let them pick my path by them and say thanks or offer a greeting and it's generally returned.

I did run into a very nice rider who stopped for a 2 minute trail talk about bikes. Both of us gave the other the right of way, since we both stopped it was quick "how do you like your bike type convo". That's what it should be like IMO.

This is not the norm from my experience, but tonight's ride sure would put me off if I was new to Albuquerque.

Just ranting here, please be friendly out there.

Tim
    I haven't gone for a ride there in a long time, but I remember having the same problem with some riders. That's the only place where I have run into some A$$holes. Next time give them a little elbow love...
    Bliss-Stick kayaks Agent, NEMO Representative,

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Its to bad that some riders have forgotten what it mean to be respectfull of others on the trail. Some riders seem to think its all about them. Usually those people are far and few between. Thankfully most of us just love to ride and share those rides and trails with others. It only takes a few to leave a bad taste for a long time. Those few make us all look bad to nonriders on the trail. We just have to work a little harder to make sure we are not the ones leaving that bad taste. See you on the trail.

mtbr member
    Keep in mind that there are a bunch of tourists in ABQ for the balloon fiesta. They won't necessarily know the right of way.

We came upon some hikers sitting in the middle of the trail having snacks on Saturday in the east mountains.

Bandolero

Over Macho Grande?

Quote Originally Posted by NE2NM
    Keep in mind that there are a bunch of tourists in ABQ for the balloon fiesta. They won't necessarily know the right of way.

We came upon some hikers sitting in the middle of the trail having snacks on Saturday in the east mountains.
    That was sort of funny and they looked like they'd been there for a while. They didn't offer to share.

I don't think they liked it when I went through and said "aim for the pink"

//Thank you for not yelling at us!
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

banned
    Good point Jose. Guess folks treat some people different. Even though I am not so well accepted by some here, it is rare that I run into someone on the trail and don't engage them and vice versa.

Yelling!...That WASN'T YELLING!....That was actually my inside voice too!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Even though I am not so well accepted by some here
    I don't believe you...

Single Speed Junkie
    Yelling!...That WASN'T YELLING!....That was actually my inside voice too!
    Your just a bit excitable.

Bandolero

And Leon is getting laaaaarrrrrger.

Quote Originally Posted by nmtim
    I don't believe you...
    Everybody Loves Mtn. Biker123!

mtbr member
    "Your friends just yelled at us. We're not feeling very good toward bikers"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Not just the hikers, I came across a group of bikers on Faulty last Saturday blocking the trail. But I was in no hurry, and they seemed friendly enough. (Although there were no offers of sharing what they were drinking either)

Bandolero

Seven. Lieutenant Zip died this morning.

"Your friends just yelled at us. We're not feeling very good toward hikers"
    Fixed that for you.

Overeducated Biochemist

... and if we just ...

I thought I'd seen that picture somewhere before...

Yer awesome bryan. Don't let anybody tell you different.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by afjoey; 10-08-2008 at 06:24 PM.
    joey

Anything's easier than strappin' in a monkey...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    so my son and i are riding down an elena trail a month ago..we were going fairly fast down a trail that was split down the middle two lanes....a guy is coming up the trail on one side and as we go past him in the opposite direction....he slaps me across the face and the top of my helmet...he was on a bike also...before i tell you what happened......what would you guys have done????

banned
    I would sick Bruce on him!

Seriously, I could not begin to tell you how I would have reacted. There must have been other circumstances.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    no other circumstances! ive been racing mountain bikes for 15 years at an expert level and it was probably the craziest thing that has ever happened on a trail to me! i had just picked up my yeti asr-carbon and was on the first ride with it

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I feel lucky I was not assaulted, that's just not called for...ever.

I'm going to just carry on like all users have respect for each other and let trail karma take care of the ones that don't.

tardcore
    Quote Originally Posted by mike5876
    so my son and i are riding down an elena trail a month ago..we were going fairly fast down a trail that was split down the middle two lanes....a guy is coming up the trail on one side and as we go past him in the opposite direction....he slaps me across the face and the top of my helmet...he was on a bike also...before i tell you what happened......what would you guys have done????
    I honestly don't know, but I probably would have hit him back unless I thought I'd get seriously hurt.
    I was riding my road bike up Tramway the other day and somebody threw a soda at me from a car. I didn't even know what happened for a few seconds and there was nothing I could but but it was pretty lame.
    So what did you do?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike5876
    What specific section of trail did this occur on?

And if you were going fairly fast how did he slap you on the face and top of your helmet?

banned
    Maybe it was perropirana...I hear he's a hot head

mtbr member
    Maybe it was perropirana...I hear he's a hot head
    He would know if it was me...I haven't been to the foothills in months. I am waiting for you (Brian) to go by so I can give you some MTB love... I heard Ruby smoked the Bandoleros, can that be possible....lol
    Bliss-Stick kayaks Agent, NEMO Representative,

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    its not too hard to hit someone in the head even if im going fast stick out arm connect with head of downhill traveling bike guy

banned

It is very possible, but...

Quote Originally Posted by perropirana
    He would know if it was me...I haven't been to the foothills in months. I am waiting for you (Brian) to go by so I can give you some MTB love... I heard Ruby smoked the Bandoleros, can that be possible....lol
    I actually have a lot of respect for Ruby. Maybe you should show some too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Yea, the last few weeks that I have ridden at ellana there have been several A$$HATS. But nobody has slapped my face, that happens and its on. Question, why do dog walkers bag the poop then just leave it on the trail?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I offered a tube to a guy the other day. He was broken down on the side of the trail and I had seen him have a couple of other flats during the day. Upon offering, he asked me if it was an "ultra-light," mind you, I don't even know what that is, but he didn't want my tube so I left him there on the side of the trail trying to patch his up as it was getting dark.

Same day, someone we all know, practically ran me off of the trail as he was coming down and I was going up, no word, no apology, nothing. Good thing the rest of his group was nice, or I might have turned around and chased his citified ass down.

Not just in ABQ.

Overall mountain bikers are nice.
    Its the internet...we all sleep with supermodels.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast