Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

What is a Bandolero?

I keep seeing references to Bandolero's, but not exactly sure what they are about. I am guessing the name comes from the movie, but what are Bandolero's doing on mountain bikes? Is it a riding club for those who like to carry six shooters? Perhaps, renegade trail builders or bandits who prey on mountain bikers by surrounding them in a ravine and stealing Shot Blocks and water bottles. If this is indeed a club then maybe an opposing protaganist club is in order. "Long Rangers", to protect trails and unspecting riders from two wheeled self propelled bandits. Seriously, somebody give me the dirt.

mtbr member
    Its a group of riders that likes free riding and beer drinking. if you start a lone ranger group I get to be "tonto"

mtbr member
    what he said.

not six shooters, but six packs. And if there is looting it is for shots, not shot blocks.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    If you see our trucks in the PL, you might just want to go some where else. Because if you ride with us, you might just have way to much fun. Were just a bunch of guys that love to ride and have a blast doing it. And BEER!
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    what he said.

not six shooters, but six packs. And if there is looting it is for shots, not shot blocks.
    Actually, there is a six shooter in one guy's set up, well, more like 16 in the clip & 1 in the hole.
    It's only used for crazed mountain lions & goats, though.

I <3 NM
    what he said.

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtarama View Post
    I keep seeing references to Bandolero's, but not exactly sure what they are about. I am guessing the name comes from the movie, but what are Bandolero's doing on mountain bikes? Is it a riding club for those who like to carry six shooters? Perhaps, renegade trail builders or bandits who prey on mountain bikers by surrounding them in a ravine and stealing Shot Blocks and water bottles. If this is indeed a club then maybe an opposing protaganist club is in order. "Long Rangers", to protect trails and unspecting riders from two wheeled self propelled bandits. Seriously, somebody give me the dirt.
    1. Must not have a "dirt roadie" mentality.
    2. Must carry at least one beer (and one to share) on all rides (bonus pts for a flask).
    3. Must like making trails fun and challenging.
    4. Must enjoy riding for 3+ hours on just about every ride - just because it's so much fun.
    5. Must know how to get every drop of fun & excitement out of a ride.
    6. Usually carry at least one odd repair item such as a spare shifter cable (cuz you never know).
    7. Generally have mad mtb skills and be willing to pedal a 35 lb bike up mountians all day just so they can "hit that sh!t" on the way down.

etc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    2. Must carry at least one beer (and one to share) on all rides (bonus pts for a flask).
    4. Must enjoy riding for 3+ hours on just about every ride - just because it's so much fun.
    6. Usually carry at least one odd repair item such as a spare shifter cable (cuz you never know).
    7. Generally have mad mtb skills and be willing to pedal a 35 lb bike up mountians all day just so they can "hit that sh!t" on the way down.

etc
    pretty accurate synopsis there Nate, except note 7. not sure of any 35lb Bando bike, sounds flexy.

-cabra cadabra

I <3 NM
    pretty accurate synopsis there Nate, except note 7. not sure of any 35lb Bando bike, sounds flexy.
    I was thinking of Nota's munchkin sized bike, but yeah, you are right. It must be his wheelset that is 35lbs.

Bandolero

Wild Kingdom

Hi Curtarama, thanks for your question. It's good to know that you're aware of your surroundings and those that frequent them.

The Bandolero (genus Bandoerlo Havegoodtimes MountainBikers) was first observed in November 2005 and is most often seen gathered in parking lots, shooting the breeze pre/post ride and less frequently "hittin that shiat" in the local forests in Northern New Mexico. They are a fast moving band but can often be seen stopped alongside the trail, plotting their next move. They are quite intelligent and have a vast knowledge of trails and the proper tires for almost any terrain. Sightings in the forest are infrequent due to their roving nature and there is ample evidence that they spend much of their time riding bikes. Their known area is New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Colorado. There have been reported sightings of Bandoleros in Canada and Mexico but these are unverified due to fuzzy pictures and a known lack of their favorite beverage which comes packaged in little red cans. Favorable locations to spot a Bandolero are Otero Canyon, Rio En Medio, Angel Fire, local emergency rooms/trauma centers and to a lesser degree (due to reduced territory and lifts running) Pajarito near Los Alamos. There are many recorded images and videos of the Bandoleros available on the internet. Use caution when reviewing these items as many people have been known to immediately go mountain biking as a result.

The Bandolero's are mainly a docile group and most of them have been partially domesticated but records show that several are on the loose and may have reverted to their natural feral state. Even these are no threat and even when provoked, avoid conflict. Their lifestyle is infectious and in the last few years their way of life has been observed in previously sedentary, non-fun loving people due to repeated contact. Symptoms of infection are a tendency to carry 2-3 beers on a ride, go fast, ride hard, hit shiat, euphoria, 8" rotors on a XC bike, tendency to shuttle to the top of a trail, ibuprofen in the pack, 2-3 mountain bikes and a disdain for road bikes or any bike with tires with a width less than 2.5"

Bandoleros use their easy-going friendly nature to seduce other mountain bikers into joining them "for a short ride." Their speech patterns are littered with phrases like:
    • "hit that shiat"
    • "it's a roller"
    • "it's only a 45-50 minute climb"
    • "I've only got 3 beers, it'll be a short ride"
    • "who's got a flask?"
    • "who else has a flask?"
    • "shuttles?"
    • "pass the beer salt"
    • "it's all downhill from here"
    • "huck it"
    • "yeah I cleaned it"
    • "that's not thunder"
    • "damn!"
    • "I'm out of water but have two beers"
    • "you're shuttle biatch"
    • "who put this rock in my pack?"

Curtarama, I hope that you are lucky enough to spot a Bandolero in the wild and if you do don't be afraid to interact with them. They are a friendly group and known internationally for their generosity and good demeanor. If you ride with them, you will not regret it.
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte View Post
    1 in the hole.
    ???
    Barrel?

mtbr member
    A pack of bando!ero$ saved me a couple months ago in the South Foothills and for that I thank them

Single Speed Junkie
    People who:
    - enjoy riding
    - are skilled on many types of terrain
    - don't mind having a beer on the ride or post

mtbr member
    And if you mention the king of the Bando's name here, and I quote from some flick I've watched a thousand times, "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee"
    The Dude abides.

Airborne Flight Crew

etc
    Nice - would be a cool T-shirt
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    May 2004
    HA! Calhoun hooked up my buddy with a spare shifter cable in the AF p-lot a few weeks back!

Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by rpinata View Post
    And if you mention the king of the Bando's name here, and I quote from some flick I've watched a thousand times, "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee"

Beetlejuice
    Beetlejuice
    Beetlejuice

It didn't work. Amidoingitright?
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbike52 View Post
    If you see our trucks in the PL, you might just want to go some where else. Because if you ride with us, you might just have way to much fun. Were just a bunch of guys that love to ride and have a blast doing it. And BEER!
    Wow! Neg reps for answering a question about the Bandoleros. To bad they are not man enough to leave their name. What a joke.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

mtbr member
    yeah, I got the same.

oh well.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Riding with this crew on Saturday was the most fun I have had on the trails in a long time...thanks!

And yeah, Notaknob's description is spot on.

mtbr member
    This thread is useless without pics.

mtbr member

yup

amen Knob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is a Bandolero?-picture-003.jpg  

What is a Bandolero?-picture-011.jpg  

What is a Bandolero?-picture-032.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Wow, you guys are quite the group. I can't say I have ever brought beer on a ride, but I certainly put plenty down afterward. From the sounds of it you do group rides fairly often. There is no better way to learn new trails then to ride with those who know the territory. How would one (Curtis Gillen) go about tagging along with you guys sometime?

mtbr member
    By the way I love the photos of your group adventures! Keep them rolling if you have more.

mtbr member
    It's pretty easy to find us any Tuesday/ Thursday in either Tunnel or Otero parking lots around 330. Send me a message when you want to ride and I can tell you where to meet up.

-cabra cadabra

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast