Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    saddlemeat
    Reputation: bsieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,387

    West Zuni Mts. report

    After some rain and a big race the McGaffey trails are smokin' fast, narrow, and dust free. It's green and lush up here, get it while it lasts!

    Be prepared for huge daily temp swings, it was 34* this morning and will be at least 84* this afternoon.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skerry00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    311
    Man I'm glad it wasn't me on the mud lap....I was just about to go at 10:30 when they shut it down. The trails were awesome the next day....

    Did Burma dry out yet? I bet it's fast!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5

    Re: West Zuni Mts. report

    I'm glad they're fine. I felt guilty being out there.

    Until that lap, that was the most fun 24 hour course I'd ever done even if it was a bit long.

  4. #4
    saddlemeat
    Reputation: bsieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,387
    Quote Originally Posted by skerry00 View Post
    Man I'm glad it wasn't me on the mud lap....I was just about to go at 10:30 when they shut it down. The trails were awesome the next day....

    Did Burma dry out yet? I bet it's fast!
    I wish they had finished the race on Berma and got the tread slicked back down, it was dry on Sunday already and got left a little rough. The red clay sections were really slick when it was raining the second time but that's about it, no ruts or anything to repair.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

  5. #5
    saddlemeat
    Reputation: bsieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,387
    Due to extreme fire danger, the Mt. Taylor Ranger District will close effective 8:00 a.m. on Monday, July 1, 2013. This includes the lush, green, and cool, western Zuni Mountains. Get it while it lasts, the riding is superb. The nights are cold, 34 a couple nights ago, days in the 80's. Most afternoons cloud up nicely. The High Desert Trail at Gallup will still be open.

    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5425043.pdf
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

  6. #6
    Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Reputation: mtbike52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    874
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    Due to extreme fire danger, the Mt. Taylor Ranger District will close effective 8:00 a.m. on Monday, July 1, 2013. This includes the lush, green, and cool, western Zuni Mountains. Get it while it lasts, the riding is superb. The nights are cold, 34 a couple nights ago, days in the 80's. Most afternoons cloud up nicely. The High Desert Trail at Gallup will still be open.

    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5425043.pdf
    At this point they might as well just put up a NEW MEXICO CLOSED sign at the state line.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    244
    ****!

  8. #8
    shred my gnar
    Reputation: happy_ending's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    Due to extreme fire danger, the Mt. Taylor Ranger District will close effective 8:00 a.m. on Monday, July 1, 2013. This includes the lush, green, and cool, western Zuni Mountains. Get it while it lasts, the riding is superb. The nights are cold, 34 a couple nights ago, days in the 80's. Most afternoons cloud up nicely. The High Desert Trail at Gallup will still be open.

    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5425043.pdf
    any word on opening up the west zunis?? is this going to be a district wide opening or do you think they will go with an area by area basis?

  9. #9
    saddlemeat
    Reputation: bsieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,387
    ^Since it was a District wide closing I assume opening will be also. Within the next week, I would guess, since the monsoon flow has officially started.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    416
    That would make my day!
    Last edited by wahday; 07-14-2013 at 02:42 PM.

  11. #11
    shred my gnar
    Reputation: happy_ending's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    570
    can't wait... hdt is too damn hot for this guy!! looked like a pretty viscious cell went through there this afternoon. hopefully that does the trick.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skerry00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    311

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stopbreakindown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    297
    Nice!

  14. #14
    saddlemeat
    Reputation: bsieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,387
    The Zunis are pretty sloppy since that last storm system. The clear sunny weather we seem to be looking at for the next week may dry it out but the end is in sight. I'm hoping for a good amount of cold and snow for xc and bc skiing this winter. I would like to find myself out under the stars a lot, in a snowy meadow, marveling at the show overhead. Maybe pass a flask of status bourbon now and then.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

  15. #15
    High Alpine Adventure
    Reputation: DaGoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,588
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    I would like to find myself out under the stars a lot, in a snowy meadow, marveling at the show overhead. Maybe pass a flask of status bourbon now and then.
    True enough!!!

    ...and like the "Useful Bear"... might have to get me one of them!
    Dug-Da-Goat

    Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

    Building your trails at FooMTB

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    288
    Bill, any skiing going on out there yet? Picked myself up some xc skis this year and am eager to try em out. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    The Zunis are pretty sloppy since that last storm system. The clear sunny weather we seem to be looking at for the next week may dry it out but the end is in sight. I'm hoping for a good amount of cold and snow for xc and bc skiing this winter. I would like to find myself out under the stars a lot, in a snowy meadow, marveling at the show overhead. Maybe pass a flask of status bourbon now and then.

  17. #17
    saddlemeat
    Reputation: bsieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,387
    There have been a few die hards skiing but not real good yet, maybe 3-4", a little deeper in some spots. Hoping for a good 8" snowstorm.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-02-2013, 09:35 AM
  2. Trip Report Out West.........
    By JeffSkisMontana in forum Pennsylvania
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-07-2012, 06:25 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-16-2012, 08:12 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-09-2012, 09:41 AM
  5. Zuni Mountains still melting...
    By bsieb in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-10-2012, 12:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •