saddlemeat

West Zuni Mts. report

After some rain and a big race the McGaffey trails are smokin' fast, narrow, and dust free. It's green and lush up here, get it while it lasts!

Be prepared for huge daily temp swings, it was 34* this morning and will be at least 84* this afternoon.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    Man I'm glad it wasn't me on the mud lap....I was just about to go at 10:30 when they shut it down. The trails were awesome the next day....

Did Burma dry out yet? I bet it's fast!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Re: West Zuni Mts. report

I'm glad they're fine. I felt guilty being out there.

Until that lap, that was the most fun 24 hour course I'd ever done even if it was a bit long.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by skerry00 View Post
    Man I'm glad it wasn't me on the mud lap....I was just about to go at 10:30 when they shut it down. The trails were awesome the next day....

Did Burma dry out yet? I bet it's fast!
    I wish they had finished the race on Berma and got the tread slicked back down, it was dry on Sunday already and got left a little rough. The red clay sections were really slick when it was raining the second time but that's about it, no ruts or anything to repair.

saddlemeat
    Due to extreme fire danger, the Mt. Taylor Ranger District will close effective 8:00 a.m. on Monday, July 1, 2013. This includes the lush, green, and cool, western Zuni Mountains. Get it while it lasts, the riding is superb. The nights are cold, 34 a couple nights ago, days in the 80's. Most afternoons cloud up nicely. The High Desert Trail at Gallup will still be open.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5425043.pdf

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    Due to extreme fire danger, the Mt. Taylor Ranger District will close effective 8:00 a.m. on Monday, July 1, 2013. This includes the lush, green, and cool, western Zuni Mountains. Get it while it lasts, the riding is superb. The nights are cold, 34 a couple nights ago, days in the 80's. Most afternoons cloud up nicely. The High Desert Trail at Gallup will still be open.

At this point they might as well just put up a NEW MEXICO CLOSED sign at the state line.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    ****!

shred my gnar

any word on opening up the west zunis?? is this going to be a district wide opening or do you think they will go with an area by area basis?

saddlemeat
    ^Since it was a District wide closing I assume opening will be also. Within the next week, I would guess, since the monsoon flow has officially started.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    That would make my day!
    Last edited by wahday; 07-14-2013 at 02:42 PM.

shred my gnar
    can't wait... hdt is too damn hot for this guy!! looked like a pretty viscious cell went through there this afternoon. hopefully that does the trick.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nice!

saddlemeat
    The Zunis are pretty sloppy since that last storm system. The clear sunny weather we seem to be looking at for the next week may dry it out but the end is in sight. I'm hoping for a good amount of cold and snow for xc and bc skiing this winter. I would like to find myself out under the stars a lot, in a snowy meadow, marveling at the show overhead. Maybe pass a flask of status bourbon now and then.

High Alpine Adventure
    I would like to find myself out under the stars a lot, in a snowy meadow, marveling at the show overhead. Maybe pass a flask of status bourbon now and then.
    True enough!!!

...and like the "Useful Bear"... might have to get me one of them!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Bill, any skiing going on out there yet? Picked myself up some xc skis this year and am eager to try em out. Thanks
    The Zunis are pretty sloppy since that last storm system. The clear sunny weather we seem to be looking at for the next week may dry it out but the end is in sight. I'm hoping for a good amount of cold and snow for xc and bc skiing this winter. I would like to find myself out under the stars a lot, in a snowy meadow, marveling at the show overhead. Maybe pass a flask of status bourbon now and then.

saddlemeat
    There have been a few die hards skiing but not real good yet, maybe 3-4", a little deeper in some spots. Hoping for a good 8" snowstorm.