Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Hey, wait up!

VISITORS READ HERE FIRST: Local riding advice

A chiller day at the office, so I'll work on this. An idea borrowed from our fine AZ friends.

I'll see about getting it Sticky-fied.

===============================

This thread is directed primarily at out of area visitors as well as new riders who don't know where else to ride in our glorious state besides their favorite city park trail.

To our visitors: We've created this thread to hopefully answer the most obvious questions you have about riding in our state. This should help respond to the "I'm coming to New Mexico where should I ride?" type questions.

If it still doesn't answer your questions, then maybe we need to add more stuff to our sticky! Go ahead and post to the board if you still have questions.

Thread rules:

* Locals, please post your personal recommendations for your personal favorite rides. Include enough detail that the reader can determine the ride's difficulty, trailhead directions, ride directions, and seasonal considerations.

* Do not comment on someone else's recommendations unless it is to clarify or expand on what someone else is recommending.

* This is not the thread to recommend or criticize local bike shops. If you include information about a bike shop, please make sure it's related to the ride(s) you're recommending.

* If you have a thread in mind where we've already discussed riding in certain areas, feel free to make a post here and include a link to that thread(s).

* This should not be a "normal" thread with lots of back-and-forth. It should be primarily informational only.

* Be nice, both in your posts and to riders out on the trail.

With that said, start posting up your knowledge, wisdom and recommendations!

In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

Hey, wait up!

Foothills - Northeast Albq.

(Don't everybody jump on this all at once now. )

A bit of cut and copy from a recent thread:

Foothills Trails and Map

Below is a map excerpt of the North Foothills section. Get to Montgomery and Tramway, go east on Montomery to Glenwood Hills, follow to Trailhead and the parking area. Get on the bike and ride the trails north. Good, fairly easy riding with moderate climbs and smooth, sometimes pebbly trailbed.

You can take the trails north all the way to the base of the Sandia Peak Tram.

Usually dry and free of snow - unless it recently rained or snowed.

It is a popular multi-use trail, so "heads up" for runners, hikers and other bikers.

Attached Images Attached Images

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mtbr member
    You are aware that there is an mtbr trail review section are you not?

Not trying to get you all fired up, but maybe trail reviews and directions are better suited to being placed there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN

Not trying to get you all fired up, but maybe trail reviews and directions are better suited to being placed there.
    Yeah, we don't have to be like those idiots in Phoenix....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perropirana
    Yeah, we don't have to be like those idiots in Phoenix....

No doubt.

I'm sure the sticky atop their board came from a selfish place not helpful one, as in they are sick and tired of having to dish out trail info and advice on a daily basis.

I don't think we've reached that point yet here on the NM board.

Sublime Absurdity

Well since you guys broke the rules...

From an "outsider's" perspective (having lived in Cedar Crest for less than half a year now), I gotta say, I wish NM had a thread as awesome as my buddy PaulB set up for AZ.

I like to know every little detail of a place before I go riding there so I am prepared and know what I am getting into and I usually like to explore a new place solo at my own pace. I have been pretty frustrated trying to get information on some of the local riding spots. Far example I can find hardly any details on White Mesa. No trailmaps, no descriptions, and this minimal how to get there from the trail reviews:

"Take NM 550 west from Bernalillo and head toward San Ysidro. Before you round the big turn heading into San Ysidro look for Cabezon Road to the south - turn here. follow Cabezon Road for 3-5 miles until you leave peublo lands and enter BLM land. Park at the first parking area you find."

I wanna know exactly where I am going - I want to know how much climbing and how technical it is. I want to know if I should bring the hardtail or the FS bike. etc...

The point of a thread like this is for the people who are in the know and always answering these questions to have a place to capture their knowledge and share it with the MTB community. The reviews section is really for a different purpose - for the community at large to provide thier feedback on the trails and rate them.
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sodade
    From an "outsider's" perspective (having lived in Cedar Crest for less than half a year now), I gotta say, I wish NM had a thread as awesome as my buddy PaulB set up for AZ.

I like to know every little detail of a place before I go riding there so I am prepared and know what I am getting into and I usually like to explore a new place solo at my own pace. I have been pretty frustrated trying to get information on some of the local riding spots. Far example I can find hardly any details on White Mesa. No trailmaps, no descriptions, and this minimal how to get there from the trail reviews:

"Take NM 550 west from Bernalillo and head toward San Ysidro. Before you round the big turn heading into San Ysidro look for Cabezon Road to the south - turn here. follow Cabezon Road for 3-5 miles until you leave peublo lands and enter BLM land. Park at the first parking area you find."

I wanna know exactly where I am going - I want to know how much climbing and how technical it is. I want to know if I should bring the hardtail or the FS bike. etc...

The point of a thread like this is for the people who are in the know and always answering these questions to have a place to capture their knowledge and share it with the MTB community. The reviews section is really for a different purpose - for the community at large to provide thier feedback on the trails and rate them.
    Well I think I can speak for more than a few people on this board when I say if you had asked for a personal White Mesa guide you would have received many offers, and all the info you could possibly need about the place.

I think that beats a sticky at the top of a message board, but that's just me.

Hey, wait up!
    I haven't seen anything to make me think PaulB did the AZ sticky out of annoyance or lazyness. It seems to me his primary intentions are to be helpful.

I like to know every little detail of a place before I go riding there so I am prepared and know what I am getting into and I usually like to explore a new place solo at my own pace.
    I can be the same way. There have been plenty of times I've gone out with a sketch map and sparse directions with the intention of just poking around and exploring at my own pace and space. It's kind of fun (even if I one time me and my 2-Wheel Drive map managed to get lost and out in the dark on the Mighty Mule trail). Also, regardless of how helpful many folks are, sometimes you just can't arrange for the guided tour.

Pretty much sums it up.

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

Hey, wait up!

I hadn't really thought about the upside/downside of the NM board vs the trail review. I saw that several visitors were logging onto the NM board with trail questions, and I thought a FAQ type of sticky post might be useful to them.

Now that I have thought about it, the trail review section doesn't really seem to meet the need. It has limited composition and editing. I don't see were you can post in hyperlinks, maps and photos. It also doesn't seem to have the capability to weave narrative and graphics the way the board threads do. It looks to be more a condensed, soundbite, off the cuff sort of thing. I remember in times past trying to get trail info off of the review section and elsewhere on the internet. It is usually not so helpful, and I mainly get a bunch of scrap links to trails.com.

One or more general information sticky posts seems to be a viable approach. As it is, someone planning a visit asks some question, locals give some answers and feedback, and the thread drifts down the post list. Time goes by and someone else asks a similar question.

Some recent examples:

X-post - Tell me about Albuquerque

Good Beginner Trail in Albuqurque?

Stranger in your midst

Is there any Winter riding up there.

If you had one day in ALB...

Cloudcroft / Alamo for Christmas?

Alb trip over Thankgiving Week; Ride options?

Having some useful info in one easy to find spot could give info on these questions and, if needed, lead to more targeted inquiries.

Just my $0.01

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH
    I hadn't really thought about the upside/down side of the NM board vs the trail review. I saw that several visitors were logging onto the NM board with trail questions, and I thought a FAQ type of sticky post might be useful to them.

Now that I have thought about it, the trail review section doesn't really seem to meet the need. It has limited composition and editing. I don't see were you can post in hyperlinks, maps and photos. It also doesn't seem to have the capability to weave narrative and graphics the way the board threads do. It looks to be more a condensed, soundbite, off the cuff sort of thing. I remember in times past trying to get trail info off of the review section and elsewhere on the internet. It is usually not so helpful, and I mainly get a bunch of scrap links to trails.com.

One or more general information sticky posts seems to be a viable approach. As it is, someone planning a visit asks some question, locals give some answers and feedback, and the thread drifts down the post list. Time goes by and someone else asks a similar question.

Some examples:

X-post - Tell me about Albuquerque

Good Beginner Trail in Albuqurque?

Stranger in your midst

Is there any Winter riding up there.

If you had one day in ALB...

Cloudcroft / Alamo for Christmas?

Alb trip over Thankgiving Week; Ride options?

Having some useful info in one easy to find spot could give info on these questions and, if needed, lead to more targeted inquiries.

Just my $0.01

I guess I agree with you, I haven't been cruising the NM board as much as I used to so I missed many of those "what to ride" posts that have popped up lately.

That being said I still feel it will benefit the regulars on the NM board more than anyone else by relieving some of the frustration involved with answering the same questions over and over again.

banned

White Mesa

Far example I can find hardly any details on White Mesa. No trailmaps, no descriptions, and this minimal how to get there from the trail reviews:
    White Mesa seems to be fast becoming a popular ride destination for visitors as well as locals thanks to FooMTB (Friends of Otero) whose work got the area reopened for recreational usage. The trails are beginner to intermediate with some advanced obstacles if one knows where to look. White Mesa seems to be the preferred destination for riders when conditions in the east mountains are less than desirable.
    Here ya go!

LINKS
    T-Day @ White Mesa

THANKSforGIVING us White Mesa

White Mesa on Sun. Dec.3rd

White Mesa and Playground on Sun.Dec.3rd

1) How do you get there?

Quote Originally Posted by ishy
    I'm game to go- havent met ya'll yet, but was out with Rich today and he mentioned were are riding - please PM directions and times tho - just moved here and havent been to WM yet
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    From Santa Fe take I-40 South. Exit Bernalillo @ Hwy 550 to Farmington. Head West for about 22mi and look for Cabezon Rd on the left. At the fork make a left and follow the dirt road for about 6 miles p-lot on the right.

2) What type of riding ie..what "steed" do I bring from my "stable"?

I have done it on SS, AM, and DH bikes. I prefer the all mountain set up here if you know what to look for

Quote Originally Posted by rsclimb
    I'm in if Susan wants to go. She can keep up easy. 8:30 may be better but we could do 8 if we had to. Don't care about direction. Choose best flow and best downhill sections. I'm only partially familiar with the ride. How long is the loop? She'll ask me lots of questions while I'm trying to convince her to ride with other poeple
    The loop is probably somewhere in the 7-8 mile range. Fairly short. That is why, depending on the caliber or riders, we may want to extend it to two loops or double back from the first loop which is significantly more climbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate
    My other delima is whether to bring my Racer X 29er or my fully ridged singlespeed 29er....

If you prefer SS Cedro, Otero, & WM are all SS friendly

Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate
    Thanksgiving Morning White Mesa Ride Pixxx!!1111

Thanks to all the folks who showed up to ride with an out of town flat-lander.

I brought the Racer X and enjoyed granny gear!!
    3) Route recomendations

I prefer clockwise, but if you like punish yourself on the climbing try doing the out and back loop---CW to C-CW.

Quote Originally Posted by SSweetleaf
    Where are you thinking about riding Sunday? I wouldn't mind tagging along if possible. Supposed to be nice weather.
    If you are askin' me, I would like to give the SS a go out at White Mesa. Maybe we could do a clockwise loop then double back for a counter clockwise
    loop. Or whatever!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 12-11-2006 at 09:32 PM.

mtbr member
    As a newbie to ABQ I appreciate the information that you guys provide regarding trails. I agree that it's difficult to find any info at the bike shops, so this is really my sole source of trail info.

Any directions, maps, descriptions, etc. are greatly appreciated so I can explore NM.

mtbr member

The best advice for someone from another area is to post and ask "anyone riding today"
    in that way you avoid all this crap. most of us are willing to take new riders to the area and show them around. Which is more than I can say about some other areas. as what to bring and how technical the area is...bro it's mountain biking not road riding.... the more technical the better. My point is if you have a bad attitude (which you don't have) you are not going to get very far, if not ask around or search some of the past topics about trail disclosures in Albuquerque.
    Have fun.

Hey, wait up!

Some helpful homework here:

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebear73
    I believe the whole enchilada was over what trails are found in the LC area.

It appears we've wandered a bit off the trail.

The trail review site on here has pretty good descriptions of what the standard rides are: Dona Ana, Roblados, A mountain, etc... There is also a LC to El Paso trail ride that has a really good write up either here in the NM forum or in Passion. Here are some websites that may help.

http://crl.nmsu.edu/~mleisher/mtb-rides.html

http://content.elpasotimes.com/outdo...ng/index.shtml

http://www.singletracks.com/php/trail.php?id=1849

http://www.nmmagazine.com/cgi-bin/li...aming%2FBiking

now stop rubbing your roosters, and go out and RIDE!

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

Bearlike

Don't Forget...

Socorro, NM

Here is a link to the trail guide used for the Fat Tire Festival.

http://www.socorro.com/fattire/trails.html

It's pretty good. Loaded with rides near, around Socorro and Magdalena, NM

Go Out And Play!
    Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage.-E. Abbey

mtbr member

Trails in NW Albuquerque??

Does anyone know of any decent trails in NW Albuquerque?

Fragilie
    Can you be a little more specific?

mtbr member
    I'm new to ABQ and live in the NW. I just wanted to see if there were any trails nearby that I could hit after work. I've only found a couple out by Paseo del Norte and Paradise, but they're primarily sand.

Any guidance would be appreciated

Fragilie
    Quote Originally Posted by NE2NM
    I'm new to ABQ and live in the NW. I just wanted to see if there were any trails nearby that I could hit after work. I've only found a couple out by Paseo del Norte and Paradise, but they're primarily sand.

Any guidance would be appreciated

I don't know of any trails on the west side other than the Volcanos but, I here they're nothing great.

mtbr member
    Are there any trailheads for the Volcanoes on Unser or out by Double Eagle Airport on Paseo Del Volcan?

I <3 NM
    looks like i need to reload my NM Ride Pix again!
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004

Some of my best rides have been solo ventures on trails listed in the "trail review" section. The forum is best for meeting others to hit the trails with. Guided rides are sometimes better for less adventurous riders. Either way, I personally am stoked that people are hitting both sections of the web for more info.

Freakin' internet...
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler

more carbon=more awesome
    Hi all.
    I'll be in Abq for most of June and will be looking for some kindly souls to show me some sweet trails. From what I've read y'all sound mighty generous in that regard. I'm staying with my brother in law in the NE Heights so I figure the foothills are a given. Should be a good way to get some lungs back 'cause I'm going to be pretty unfit... (Too much time at work lately.) Otherwise I'm all for doing shuttles or chairlifts, so what are the best bets? Sandia Peak seems to get mixed reviews. I'm on a bullit with a lightweight wheel set and ideally I'd like to hit some good descents that don't require the ability to hit massive doubles. If anyone is planning a trip to Angel Fire I'd be interested in tagging along. Also going to be in Farmington and Durango for a bit. PM me if you're happy to play tourguide if you ever make it to NZ I'll return the favour.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bshallard
    Hi all.
    I'll be in Abq for most of June and will be looking for some kindly souls to show me some sweet trails. From what I've read y'all sound mighty generous in that regard. I'm staying with my brother in law in the NE Heights so I figure the foothills are a given. Should be a good way to get some lungs back 'cause I'm going to be pretty unfit... (Too much time at work lately.) Otherwise I'm all for doing shuttles or chairlifts, so what are the best bets? Sandia Peak seems to get mixed reviews. I'm on a bullit with a lightweight wheel set and ideally I'd like to hit some good descents that don't require the ability to hit massive doubles. If anyone is planning a trip to Angel Fire I'd be interested in tagging along. Also going to be in Farmington and Durango for a bit. PM me if you're happy to play tourguide if you ever make it to NZ I'll return the favour.
    Post up as the date approaches for conditions and recomendations. What type of bike will you bring?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast