Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe
    Santa Gay? Yep, that'll get the locals to step right up and help you out. Nice touch. Hey, you're clearly too much of a stud for the tame bike paths that we have around here. Probably best you don't even make the trip, Mr. Awseome; you'll no doubt be disappointed.

have a little pity for him though, it must be hard being so epic-ly ******tastic

edit : omg, they censored d0uche !!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper roo
    I am looking for a good size ride into the mountains outside of santa fe while in town around the 23rd of october. Sure, How can we help?Wondering if there are any good loops that can be made? Definitely
    I'm looking for 3-5 hrs 7-8 mph average 30 mile min. With that average speed, we better send you to the easy stuff. Why do you calculate rides in average speed, that's kind of gay - aren't you into REAL mtb?
    fri 22 dale ball, sat 23 big ride, sun family day, mon 25 big ride. Wow, sick
    Do Not want to drive anywhere, just want to get on the bike in town and start riding, Oooh! Picky! the less pavement the better, Riding from a city? You should have visited Santa Fe when there were dirt roads downtown at the worse dirt road climbs and single track dowhills would be acceptable. We aim to please... I'm spoiled rotten with single track out my door so I'm hard to please. You were obviously spoiled as a child. Good thing you're not too spoiled in terms of skiing, cuz Santa Fe has better ski terrain than Breck (Breck skiing is FLAT). Breck is mostly weak skiing and standing in lift lines compared to SF, Taos & Southern CO.

Anything up by the ski area???? Not with a 7 - 8 mph average
    I've ridden dale ball (it's nice, yet nothing to write home about) Unless you're trying to acheive a 7 - 8 mph average. (Actually, you couldn't have seen all of the goods in Dale Ball, cuz there's some knarly stuff to the south) because and I've done some road riding in the area (west of town, ski area etc) but now I'm looking for epic mtb.

If you have a garmin file I look at, can list out the trails and roads, or wanna show me where to go I'd love that. Not into being a gaper, Seriously? taking pictures, having lunch, and wacking off in the woods. Just want to put my head down and ride to see if there is any real mtb please, show us what REAL mtb is... 7 - 8 mph average maybe? in santa gay. You're the one talking about 7 - 8 mph averages and whacking off, yet your calling our town gay???
    Summit County egos... It's a good thing they are tucked away in the mountains

If you want to see some REAL mtb, I dare you to hook up with the Bandoleros for a ride on one of your non-family days. I doubt you will go back to your family without some dirt & blood on your spandex kit. You will have to stop for a Tecate or two, maybe even a pic, or you can just keep riding, we'll catch up with you. Just pm me if you need a guide

I <3 NM
    MY BAD I"M SORRY

change of plans ok, didn't realize that you guys are all bigger gay lords than the queers that hang out on the colorado forum

I'll just stick with my kind and I'm headed to durango instead of nm
    Translation:

I'm a scared little dirt roadie. Out.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    MY BAD I"M SORRY

change of plans ok, didn't realize that you guys are all bigger gay lords than the queers that hang out on the colorado forum

I'll just stick with my kind and I'm headed to durango instead of nm
    That's a good idea. With a mouth like yours, you'd end up getting stomped by a couple of big muscular gay dudes in our downtown area.
    Remember, if you want to see if there is any "REAL mtb" as you say it, Summit County stud, I dare you to try ride with us and come away unscathed. I'm sure a guy like you would be walking your bike anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Was going to give you girls a bunch a spaces so you could comment on me and rip me all up but it just isn't going to come out like that so you'll have to separate everything and make your own dumb comments

I still stand by santa gay, it is very gay.

I regret making any bad comments that may have been made dissing the gay ballz trails. They are pretty sweet trails for being that close to town. They seem underused and have everything from a ripping loop on the north end (had to do twice cause it was so nice) to super technical on the south end.

This entry is from my diary, I'd like to share it with you:

AS I WRITE THIS I'M LOOKING OUTSIDE AT 6 INCHES OF SNOW AND I'M HAVING A REALLY REALLY HARD TIME WITH IT, LIKE IN A BAD WAY. JUST YESTERDAY I DID ONE OF THE COUPLE TRUELY EPIC RIDES OF THE SUMMER AND NOW I'M LOOKING AT A SEASON SHUT DOWN. (THERE WILL BE MORE BUT.........) SO HERE IS THE SKINNY, WAS IN SANTA GAY WITH THE FAMILY AND DECIDED TO MAKE THE MOST OF IT, IT WAS TIME TO KNOCK OUT A REAL RIDE IN THE AREA. BOY WAS IT REAL. HAD TWO WARM UP DAYS, GETTING AQUAINTED WITH THE TRAILS, AND VARIABLE WEATHER THEN THIS...................

MY GOAL WAS TO REACH THE RADIO TOWERS ABOVE TOWN AT 12,000 FT USING AS MUCH SINGLE TRACK AS POSSIBLE. CLOUDS, WIND, SNOW, AND CRAZY SENSATION THAT I HAD DONE ENOUGH HAD ME TURNING AROUND AT 10,000 FT. I WAS BUMMED BUT SNOW FLAKES ARE NO JOKE. IT WASN'T ALL LOST THOUGH

THE STATS:

5500 FT OF CLIMBING, MAXED OUT SINGLE TRACK, 32.17 MILES, 4K CALORIES, AND FIVE BIG HRS ON THE BIKE. GOTTA DO IT AGAIN BUT THIS TIME THE WHOLE ENCHLADA. RODE EVERYTHING FROM THE BUFFEST OF BUFF SINGLE TRACK TO THE KNARLIEST MESS OF SINGLE TRACK. HAD TO THOW IN A FEW MILES OF PAVEMENT WHICH IS TOTAL BUMMER BUT YA KNOW.

THE ROUTE: town, happy canyon, dale ball central, hyde park rd, chamisa canyon, winsor trail, stopped just before the ski area because of weather, pretty much out and back, (lame but that was the best I could come up with) except I hit trail 232 on the way down and looped dale ball.

more carbon=more awesome
    This entry is from my diary, I'd like to share it with you:

I'm still subscribed to this thread from several years ago when some local riders showed me around a bit so your nuggets turned up in my inbox. They made me laugh.

Ripper roo do you know how I know you're gay?

You write about your feelings in a journal........... *****.

b.

edit: Apparently they censor cat as well as lady-wash.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

Hey, wait up!
    say gay say say gay i'm gonna say gay gay gay.
    So what you are saying is that you're gay and you ditched your family so you could have a gay play day.

In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

more carbon=more awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH
    So what you are saying is that you're gay and you ditched your family so you could have a gay play day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WLRI...eature=related
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

ride more, blog less
    so i'll be road trippin' over your way NM, from AZ around the end of may....so what will it be, pajarito or angelfire? looking for some good DH. fast, tech, flow, my face hurts from smiling all weekend type riding... i'd appreciate any and all suggestions. i've heard good things about NM, so i'm looking forward to it. thanks again!

- LC, good call on the sticky... the visitor sticky works very well for us in AZ. at the shops out here, we use it all the time... good info when used correctly, better than most trail books/maps in fact, and it's free .
    i like these odds....

Bandolero
    If you're here over Memorial Day, the only thing open is AngelFire May 26 -30 (Memorial Day Weekend). Pajarito doesn't open until June.

Alternatively there should be some people itching for shuttles. Only problem is that with the drought, the forests near Albuquerque might be closed due to fire danger. Hopefully Santa Fe will be open.

Quote Originally Posted by GnarHammer
    so i'll be road trippin' over your way NM, from AZ around the end of may....so what will it be, pajarito or angelfire? looking for some good DH. fast, tech, flow, my face hurts from smiling all weekend type riding... i'd appreciate any and all suggestions. i've heard good things about NM, so i'm looking forward to it. thanks again!

- LC, good call on the sticky... the visitor sticky works very well for us in AZ. at the shops out here, we use it all the time... good info when used correctly, better than most trail books/maps in fact, and it's free .
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Visiting from Austin June 15-18

Quote Originally Posted by notaknob View Post
    If you're here over Memorial Day, the only thing open is AngelFire May 26 -30 (Memorial Day Weekend). Pajarito doesn't open until June.

Alternatively there should be some people itching for shuttles. Only problem is that with the drought, the forests near Albuquerque might be closed due to fire danger. Hopefully Santa Fe will be open.
    Heading to NM from Austin on Tuesday and will be riding Wednesday thru Saturday (June 15-18)

Was in Taos Memorial Weekend and left me wanting more. Mostly enjoy singletrack with flow and like some technical as well. Rift Valley was fun and fast. (I build lots of trial in Austin and can appreciate the thought and work that went into that one.) Mondragon up to SBT and back to town was also much fun. Talpa Traverse was the only other trial that had a chance to try and loved that as well.

Looking for beta and riders to show us around (2 of us now, couple more maybe)

If ever in Austin, check out some of the trails we (Austin Ridge Riders) have built, we are pretty proud of them. The latest is Reveille Peak Ranch. Others include Pace Bend, Lake Georgetown & Reimers Ranch.

Thanks in advance.

Charlie

Benandshan2
    I'm from Amarillo and will be up in Red River Sept. 8-11 I know theres a ski lift and some trails in RR but thats about it. Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Lived here in Albuquerque most of my life but I'm new to bike commuting. Will be riding mostly on the Bosque trail up north to Montano and east towards I-25.

Any help or suggestions are welcome, especially how to navigate through traffic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hi, all. This thread has not been too active but hoping someone can respond to this.
    Have looked through this thread and also the NM forum. I did come across the Zia Rides Web site with a link to trails in the Ruidoso area. I'm also interested in the
    Capitan/Fort Stanton area to the north and finding nada. We drove through the area just after Memorial Day last year in the middle of a raging wind/dust storm, so we did not stop but will be back through in the first week of June. I did see some information on the Ft. Stanton Special Management Area that alluded to many, many miles of trails open to hikers, equestrians and mtn bikers and other trails on Forest Service, BLM but no details. Is this because the trails are really not mtn bike appropriate? To out of the way for many riders? Too much horse poop?
    Favorite camp grounds in the general area? Don't need a super developed campground, but hot showers are nice (we are van camping). Oak Grove looks like it might be nice.
    Thanks for any help on this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hmmm, just found this. Perhaps this is why there are few reviews:

TRAILS:
    #1: The Tlaloc Trail is for advanced riders offering a distance of 18.5 miles round-trip and an altitude of 6200 ft. It is a double-track and paved road. To get there turn left onto the Ft Stanton grounds from County Rd. 214 and park in the lot by the horse corral.

#2: The Lincoln Trail is for those of us who are at the intermediate level. This one travels 8.8 miles round-trip with an altitude of 5900 ft and is on a dirt road and double track. To get there follow Airport Road 12.7 miles, turn left at the stop sign and then take a right just before the Ft Stanton cemetery. Park at the Ft. Stanton Cave Campground.

#3: The Billy the Kid Cup Course is for the intermediate to advanced crowd. It runs 8.7 miles at 6200 ft. and is on a single track, double track and gravel road. Take Airport Road to the stop sign at the end where you will go left to the Ft Stanton grounds and on to the horse corrals. Park in the lot there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Can someone offer some guidance on recommended mtb trails near gallup nm? I'm looking for 1-2 hour rides and maybe also something easy enough for a 10 year old

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Flat lander needing some Taos area advice

I've got a group heading up from N. Texas and we'll be staying in Taos. Looking for the best 3 or 4 trails in the area for xc riding. Prefer nice single track and climbing is good. Maybe something a bit on the lighter side for the first few days. Thanks for any local advice!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hey Jason, Steve Hile...I'm in Albuquerque now. If you guys head down this way, let me know and I'll show you some of the trails.

Don't send me a PM, just email - steven_hile@hotmail.com
    Visit my Photography Website
    http://www.wanderlustgalleries.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
    I've got a group heading up from N. Texas and we'll be staying in Taos. Looking for the best 3 or 4 trails in the area for xc riding. Prefer nice single track and climbing is good. Maybe something a bit on the lighter side for the first few days. Thanks for any local advice!

Climbing ......

Last week my wife and I rode up trail 660. Its located on south side of road, just east of ShadyBrook Cafe. About 8 miles east of Taos.

She hardly rides, and managed to climb 2000 ft on old forest roads which have since turned to singletrack. You can put together a 12 mile loop.

mtbr member
    very nice thread going here. I don't know if anyone knows about this site, but check it out.... its specific for ABQ area. ABQmtb

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by zipex View Post
    very nice thread going here. I don't know if anyone knows about this site, but check it out.... its specific for ABQ area. ABQmtb
    Interesting.

I see only one post specifically dealing with mtb'ing in ABQ on your site, and that's a map of the Foothills Trail System. The NM mtb community (generally) is a bit skittish of unknown folks and your site might attract more users if you get out and personally meet some locals. I see you posted on your site about riding on Sunday 11 Aug, but the only reply was you answering yourself. I suggest you post up a thread here and see how it goes, not making any promises though...
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

shred my gnar
    hey all... me and some buds are heading to taos/af from flagstaff this coming week and am looking for a bit of advice. we are planning on riding south boundary or something similar one day and af for 2 days. any help is appreciated... ive scoured this forum and found some good info but im still left with two questions...

1) how is the camping situation on the carson/santa fe around angel fire and to a lesser extent, taos? is it pretty much find a fs road and camp or is it more limited to developed campsites. im interested in undeveloped, find a good spot in the woods, kinda car camping... near angel fire would be best.

2) is south boundary the one if you only had a day? im looking for a big pedal with lots of tech. it doesnt need to be in taos/af... driving for the goods isnt an issue. if the sbt is the one, are there any good options rather than the hwy back?

thanks again for feedback...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    Hmmm, just found this. Perhaps this is why there are few reviews:

TRAILS:
    #1: The Tlaloc Trail is for advanced riders offering a distance of 18.5 miles round-trip and an altitude of 6200 ft. It is a double-track and paved road. To get there turn left onto the Ft Stanton grounds from County Rd. 214 and park in the lot by the horse corral.

#2: The Lincoln Trail is for those of us who are at the intermediate level. This one travels 8.8 miles round-trip with an altitude of 5900 ft and is on a dirt road and double track. To get there follow Airport Road 12.7 miles, turn left at the stop sign and then take a right just before the Ft Stanton cemetery. Park at the Ft. Stanton Cave Campground.

#3: The Billy the Kid Cup Course is for the intermediate to advanced crowd. It runs 8.7 miles at 6200 ft. and is on a single track, double track and gravel road. Take Airport Road to the stop sign at the end where you will go left to the Ft Stanton grounds and on to the horse
    corrals. Park in the lot there.
    I rode there a couple days last summer. The trails I rode were about 80% single track. Didn't see any evidence of horses. Well worth the visit. Imba has built 14 miles of trail at grindstone reservoir in town. Since the fire hit the only camping I am aware of is in the cedar creek area behind the forest service hq in town. Good trail right around that area as well.

mtbr member
    It's kind of funny to read this thread through and see how it evolved. It seems that it began really useful. Then someone popped in and caused it to go off topic. Then it seems to have never regained it's usefulness. Oh well.

So here's my non-useful submission. If anyone heads down to the Roswell area, I've been getting to know the local stuff pretty well (Haystack, Skidmarks, Ft. Stanton) and can give some advice on what to avoid.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    What trails near ABQ are will be rideable over the christmas break? Any suggestions on tires? Ill be down there from 12/23-1/5/13. If anyone has suggestions or wants to show me around that would be awesome.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast