Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    There are some trail heads on the west side...be prepared for sand and cacti...climbing the volcanos is good stuff riding down the other side is even better...
    Take Unser to the top of Unser south of the new high School...you will find a KB home neighborhood you will see the water tanks follow it to the back side...park in the sales office...follow the road toward the volcanoes you will see a dirt jeep trail get on it...ride bikes west on a jeep trail...u will come to a steel gate go thru it travel on the dirt jeep trail till you get under the power lines merge right going NNW...you will pass around the northern most volcano...there is a small trail leading up to the top...CHARGE!!!!
    Great view from the top....go over the othe side...be aware of loose volcanic rock on the western DH side....pedal your A$$ off this will take you to the next volcano easily...go over it to the next one...there is cave at the top its about 45 feet deep...the DH ride is pretty good...watch for the sand when the trail turns East... Pedal..more hard pack and good speed....this will take you to the steel gate again...go thru it and enjoy the speed and dodging those rocks you pedaled past earlier....R/T 5 miles...If you want more pick a trail and go for it....WARNING do not go into the sand pit in the middle of the big field west of the volcanoes but before the steel gate...deep sand and a waste of time....the jeep trail isnt pretty by any account but it is a quick ride if your pressed for time...verizon cell phones work out there

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Bike Rental in Santa Fe / Albuquerque?

My wife and daughter and I are driving out to Santa Fe for a conference next week. I definitely want to get in some rides, but have decided to leave my bike behind. Any recs for shops that rent bikes in either city?

Thanks -

banned
    Sport Systems 505.296.9111 ask for Frank. Just a suggestion though, make sure your are interested in a 'demo' not a rental. That way you get the pick of the litter.

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by AuntieAPE
    My wife and daughter and I are driving out to Santa Fe for a conference next week. I definitely want to get in some rides, but have decided to leave my bike behind. Any recs for shops that rent bikes in either city?

Thanks -
    In Santa Fe - Santa Fe Mountain Sports, at 607 Cerrillos usually rents base-model Kona's in lot's of sizes.
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Thread Pollution

got robbed

family and I waz tak'n a yurly vacashon in the new Mexico territory.Hour mane fokus waz to ride our Mountan bikes.Sur,we rode plenty of single trak and lots of purty views to be had by all. Butt,at evry trail hed we parked our car at,we gots ******.Seems the locals like ot of towners .Strangely enuf,we seemed to fit rite in at one town named Sockoral,friendly bike shop owner there, too.So my sujestone is to vacashon in Sockoral,New Mexico

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Re : VISITORS READ HERE FIRST: Local riding advice

Bike riding is one of the simplest ways to have fun in a variety of settings. It is easily learned and not easily forgotten. But there are things to know that will help you, both in technique and equipment. Here in Bike Riding 101 you'll learn all about bikes and bike riding.
    --------------------------
    Dhananjay

New Mexico Alcohol Addiction Treatment

mtbr member
    I'll be visiting shortly, a weeklong camping trip with family. The wife and I have a Dale Ball trailride planned. We're camping on the Rio Grande South of Taos, in the BLM area, so I'll check out the short trails there too.

Question is, in Los Alamos we are camping at Bandelier, at the group campsite I believe (up above Bandelier). Are there any trails within biking distance? With family along, got to minimize the overhead. We're bordered by the monument on the South, and government land to the North. Looks like NF land West, anything other than FS roads? Looks like all the good stuff in LA is immediately around town.

Thanks for any help...

Bandolero

not my area...

Quote Originally Posted by jonny boy
    I'll be visiting shortly, a weeklong camping trip with family. The wife and I have a Dale Ball trailride planned. We're camping on the Rio Grande South of Taos, in the BLM area, so I'll check out the short trails there too.

Question is, in Los Alamos we are camping at Bandelier, at the group campsite I believe (up above Bandelier). Are there any trails within biking distance? With family along, got to minimize the overhead. We're bordered by the monument on the South, and government land to the North. Looks like NF land West, anything other than FS roads? Looks like all the good stuff in LA is immediately around town.

Thanks for any help...
    If you're at the Ponderosa campground, I think Pajarito and Nail Trail are right up the road.

Throw a post in the main forum and you'll get more bites on a thread. Bring beer and you'll get someone to show you some trails...
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny boy

Thanks for any help...
    As you pointed out, You've got Bandelier to the S and LANL (DOE) to the N. Both prohibit biking. Closest trails are going to be found just W of NM 501 about 5 miles up NM4. To get to these trails, you'll need to ride about 5 miles up NM 4. It's uphill a bit, but is rather common for people to ride from the lab down to Bandelier and back at lunch. The closest trailhead is Water Canyon at 35.838655, -106.360043 (Copy those coords in Google maps). You'll also hit the S. Perimeter trail at 35.846713, -106.357430, Valle Canyon trail at 35.852122, -106.354973, the other end of S. Perimeter at 35.866678, -106.353074, Pajarito Canyon at 35.867947, -106.352715, and Nail trail at 35.869452, -106.351492.

So if you don't mind the 5 mile road ride to get to those trails, there's probably 20 miles of trails to explore in that area just W of 501. There are more in/around town, so shoot me a PM if you'd like to know their location.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

mtbr member

Campgrounds

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I need a little insight into Angel Fire. I am visiting Angel Fire for a week in July, and will definitely be bringing the bike along. My home is South Texas, where the temperature ranges from hot to hellishly hot. Today it was 99 and as I am typing this (12:24 AM) it is still 85. I am wondering what kind of gear to pack for week of biking at Angel Fire. I am excited to finally bike somewhere other than Texas. I usually ride XC on a FS rig since thats about all there is around here. What kind of trails are out there? Where is the must see trails? I was looking at the trail map and it looks like all the XC stuff is on the back side of the mountain. How hard is it to get up the mountain without the lift? Sorry for being a lil long winded. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Oh I ride a scott spark, July 11-17. Thanks again

banned
    Come prepared for all conditions. It could hail, rain, snow, high winds. Best to be prepared for any situation. Weather is very unpredictable at elevation. Right now the rains tend to roll around in the afternoon so be prepared to ride as early as you can if your doing all-day epics. As far as trails, I'm not the best source for that at AF. I will say that the lift assisted DH is top notch.
    Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 06-24-2009 at 08:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Is the DH doable on a XC bike, and how hard is it to skip the lift and head up the trail on your own power?

banned
    The DH at AF is not recommended for XC. The XC trails are pretty fun on their own. There is a super-d course, but I'm not sure what kind of shape it's in.

Feeling a little taller
    Some more info for Alamagordo and Cloudcroft
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

High Alpine Adventure
    Rich Capner is a true advocate of documenting the great opportunities we have here in NM. Visit his site for more information! http://www.cyclingtrek.org/
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Visiting from Dallas 21-26 looking to ride near ABQ/Jemez Springs

Coming back to the Jemez for the holidays and figured it might be fun to bring the bike and get away for a few hours, weather permitting. Never rode in New Mexico, but White Mesa is right near where I'm staying and looks like it could be a lot of fun. Anyone riding around that time?

Fragilie
    Quote Originally Posted by dwightkruse
    Coming back to the Jemez for the holidays and figured it might be fun to bring the bike and get away for a few hours, weather permitting. Never rode in New Mexico, but White Mesa is right near where I'm staying and looks like it could be a lot of fun. Anyone riding around that time?
    I can, let me know when via PM and I'll see if I can meet you out there.
    It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees. (Emiliano Zapata)

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwightkruse

Dirtdawg?
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

I <3 NM
    Humm... can anyone confirm this poster's claim..??

Northeast New Mexico Mountain Biking
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

explorer of sat lines
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate
    Humm... can anyone confirm this poster's claim..??

Northeast New Mexico Mountain Biking
    *and what does Google have to say about Whittington Center, Raton, NM.

Hmm, as long as they keep the singletrack away from the rifle range, I'm sure it's fine.

(aside from the 33,000 acres that thread is talking about, it's not too clear that it's the same place??)

http://www.nrawc.org/

http://www.nrawc.org/adventure_camp.html
    . . . . .
    do you realize that the opportunity cost of buying that SlamChop is that you will never become a veggie Samurai?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kberkle
    I have a question. I rode South boundary last weekend. I didn't have enough time to do Elliot Barker like I wanted to. I started at the covered wagon headed up to Garcia Park on the road. I rode east on SBT for about a half an hourt to 45 minutes. I crossed one creek, passed an overlook on the south side of the trail, and went through a gate after the overlook. I had to turn around (time restrictions) shortly after the gate at a large evergreen crossing the trail. The tree was large and about 2-3 feet above the trail. There was no trail around the tree yet. Question: Does anyone know roughly how far, from this crude description, it is East to Osha? And did I ride most, or any of Heaven on earth?
    This is old but never got answered, you were about four miles from Osha Pass, where EBT meets the south boundary and Jaracita. You rode a small section of Heaven on Earth. Come back and try again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pcupach
    There are some trail heads on the west side...be prepared for sand and cacti...climbing the volcanos is good stuff riding down the other side is even better...
    Take Unser to the top of Unser south of the new high School...you will find a KB home neighborhood you will see the water tanks follow it to the back side...park in the sales office...follow the road toward the volcanoes you will see a dirt jeep trail get on it...ride bikes west on a jeep trail...u will come to a steel gate go thru it travel on the dirt jeep trail till you get under the power lines merge right going NNW...you will pass around the northern most volcano...there is a small trail leading up to the top...CHARGE!!!!
    Great view from the top....go over the othe side...be aware of loose volcanic rock on the western DH side....pedal your A$$ off this will take you to the next volcano easily...go over it to the next one...there is cave at the top its about 45 feet deep...the DH ride is pretty good...watch for the sand when the trail turns East... Pedal..more hard pack and good speed....this will take you to the steel gate again...go thru it and enjoy the speed and dodging those rocks you pedaled past earlier....R/T 5 miles...If you want more pick a trail and go for it....WARNING do not go into the sand pit in the middle of the big field west of the volcanoes but before the steel gate...deep sand and a waste of time....the jeep trail isnt pretty by any account but it is a quick ride if your pressed for time...verizon cell phones work out there
    I want to try this trail but couldn't find it based off these instructions. Anyone know street names or anything else? Thanks.

Also, When is someone going to WM. I want to go but being that it'd be a first for me I was hoping I could ride along the first go round. Anyone?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

big rides in santa fe???

MY BAD I"M SORRY

change of plans ok, didn't realize that you guys are all bigger gay lords than the queers that hang out on the colorado forum

I'll just stick with my kind and I'm headed to durango instead of nm
    Last edited by ripper roo; 10-19-2010 at 07:16 AM.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Santa Gay? Yep, that'll get the locals to step right up and help you out. Nice touch. Hey, you're clearly too much of a stud for the tame bike paths that we have around here. Probably best you don't even make the trip, Mr. Awseome; you'll no doubt be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by ripper roo
    I'm spoiled rotten with single track out my door so I'm hard to please.
    Not into being a gaper, taking pictures, having lunch, and wacking off in the woods. Just want to put my head down and ride to see if there is any real mtb in santa gay.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast