Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I <3 NM
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

more carbon=more awesome

Thanks.

Well, I'm back home after a month in NM. Got some decent riding in largely thanks to Eric B. Thanks man... Come out to NZ and I'll return the favour. It was an interesting change from the riding locally. Lots more rocks and slippery trail surfaces than I'm used to, but I enjoyed the change. The altitude was definitely hurting me, especially on the technical climbs. Big thanks to Eric and Greg for the shuttle run on Faulty. That was fun. Also to the various other riders I met on the trails around and about. All super friendly... I was certainly never lonely.
    Here are a few pics: Dad in the foothills, Eric on 10K, Me on Faulty, and another of me on the Colorado Trail for good measure.

Final comment: That green chile is some great stuff. Don't ever take that for granted.

Blair.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Guidance..arriving 9/23/07

Hi gang:
    I'm new here and this is my first foray into the world of internet posts, so please forgive any unintentional breaches of etiquette.... However, I seek guidance, as I'll be coming to Santa Fe for the week of Sept. 23 (finally, a vacation, woo hoo!) and would love to meet some of you folks out there to tag along for a few novice/intermediate rides. I'm from the DC area and a friend here recommended some spots out there to try, as long as the altitude doesn't get me...! My bike is a Trek Fuel 98... feel free to give me a shout w/ advice, contact info, questions...etc.
    Thanks El Mucho,
    Rick
    richard@brenpag.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by armlock11
    Hi gang:
    I'm new here and this is my first foray into the world of internet posts, so please forgive any unintentional breaches of etiquette.... However, I seek guidance, as I'll be coming to Santa Fe for the week of Sept. 23 (finally, a vacation, woo hoo!) and would love to meet some of you folks out there to tag along for a few novice/intermediate rides. I'm from the DC area and a friend here recommended some spots out there to try, as long as the altitude doesn't get me...! My bike is a Trek Fuel 98... feel free to give me a shout w/ advice, contact info, questions...etc.
    Thanks El Mucho,
    Rick
    richard@brenpag.com
    If you're going to be in Santa Fe I'd recommend you start out with the dale Ball trails, central and north sections. Those trails are pretty mellow, and don't have any heinous climbs, just short ups and downs. Another option is to ride Winsor from Tesuque, many stream crossings but much more forgiving than riding from Chamisa, and you can just turn around and coast out when you've had your fill.

Unfortunately, if you are from sea level and novice/intermediate in experience, the altitude will probably be a hindrance. The two options I gave you are IMO the easiest rides around SF, with the exception of La Tierra which isn't worth doing IMO, and the rail trail which I know nothing about (except that it's easy).

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

thanks

thanks Andy and Todd and others for your help and previously posted recommendations in this thread - way cool - looking forward to getting out there! And I'll ease in to acclimating to the altitude w/ a 'rita or two when I fist arrive.
    r

mtbr member
    Slightly off subject, but how about bike rental between ABQ and Santa Fe. Any with better equipment?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Alamo Canyon Beta

Hey New Mexico,

I occasionally get to visit Alamogordo, my wife’s hometown. I have not pedaled the Alamogordo area yet; however, I think we’re going to throw in the bikes on our next trip. I’ve been eyeing Alamo Canyon to Cloudcroft. If feasible, I would like to try and ride up toward Cloudcroft via Alamo Canyon and back down the same trail. Has anyone done the ride from below? How about Dog Canyon, is this trail open to bikes?

Thanks!
    Brett

Mythical Creature
    Andy nailed the ride suggestions on the head - and I'd add a REALLY easy but pretty ride at St. Johns College - up the arroyo (desert version of a drainage ditch) and back ~ 5-6 miles total from the p-lot.

Dale Ball North and Central will be the best bet fun-wise. South gets VERY steep and technical very quickly. Rail Trail is more like a tour route - but fun if you leave at 1030-1045AM as you'll be just ahead of the train and can 'race it'. Once you hit a big grade crossing near the very end at the highway - it's a PITA to get to the depot, as you have to ride on the road an extra 2 miles to get that last 1/2 mile as the crow flies....

If you want a moderate 2-track HIGH altitude ride, Aspen Vista Rd. climbs from 10k to 12.2K in 6 miles on a dirt road. Stunning views, and a hell of an accomplishment to brag about back home!

Quote Originally Posted by armlock11
    I'll ease in to acclimating to the altitude w/ a 'rita or two when I fist arrive.
    NOT a good idea. Ease into acclimating with a sh1tload of water instead. Dale Ball and St. Johns start at about 7200 - 7300 feet above sea level. This is no joke. Throw in our arid/dry climate, and ANY alcohol + exertion + lack of red blood cells in all but the best conditioned athlete spells trouble. Save the 'Rita Drinking 'till the end!

Anyhow - post up a new thread in the NM forum when you have some time(s) blocked out, and we'll see who can meet up with you for an insiders guided ride(s).
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    thnx again Andy & glenz... j/k on the ritas, esp. since i arrived on Mon. w/ ...ummm... a stomach thing.... I'll see if I can give it a run (pardon the pun) thurs...
    hope to meet up later.
    rick

mtbr member
    I have a question. I rode South boundary last weekend. I didn't have enough time to do Elliot Barker like I wanted to. I started at the covered wagon headed up to Garcia Park on the road. I rode east on SBT for about a half an hourt to 45 minutes. I crossed one creek, passed an overlook on the south side of the trail, and went through a gate after the overlook. I had to turn around (time restrictions) shortly after the gate at a large evergreen crossing the trail. The tree was large and about 2-3 feet above the trail. There was no trail around the tree yet. Question: Does anyone know roughly how far, from this crude description, it is East to Osha? And did I ride most, or any of Heaven on earth?

banned
    Don't forget South Boundary. Done as a shuttle or an out and back, perfect in the fall.

South Boundary thread

mtbr member

NMORS Info

Dave, I tried to contact you via your e-mail with no luck, so I will try the forum. I raced for the first time at the Hustle in September and am hooked. What does it take to compete in the NMORS. Do I just need to show up and race or is there something special I need to do to register. Any assistance greatly appreciated. Also, when does the final 2008
    NMORS schedule come out? Thanks srt705

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by srt705
    Dave, I tried to contact you via your e-mail with no luck, so I will try the forum. I raced for the first time at the Hustle in September and am hooked. What does it take to compete in the NMORS. Do I just need to show up and race or is there something special I need to do to register. Any assistance greatly appreciated. Also, when does the final 2008
    NMORS schedule come out? Thanks srt705
    I'm not sure what email addy you tried, but I dont recall an email I've not responded to.

Best addy = gotdirtnm at gmail dot com

Just show up to the series races. We track racers by name and category over the series events through the season. Results get posted at www.nmcycling.org

Here is a sketch of the schedule (dirt events are NMORS).

The final schedule is still in the hashing stage. We try to formally announce the "final" schedule in early January.

Good luck in '08!

.d.
    In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

I <3 NM
    More Pix Threads of trails in and around Albuquerque:

White Mesa: White Mesa Trail Photos
    Sandia Foothills (above Alb): Sandia Foothills Photos
    Otero Canyon: Tunnel & Otero Canyon Photos
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member

Aaah, finally found you guys!

I've been wondering where all the NM mountain bikers with day jobs spend all their time! Good on ya!

Just moved to the north NM area (Los Alamos to be specific). I really appreciate the beta you guys are putting out there as far as trails go, can't wait until spring to find my favorite! On that note, I'm going stir crazy right now! Any suggestions on ridable trails in the Rio Grande valley between here and Santa Fe? I grew up in Grand Junction, so I know what a little moisture can do to clay terrain. What will I find around here? Sandy clay, clayey sand, clayey shale? Should I just suck it up and go for a road ride?

Cheers!
    ...and the Nun said, "Five bucks, same as in town."

Thread Pollution
    Quote Originally Posted by Revotseel
    I've been wondering where all the NM mountain bikers with day jobs spend all their time! Good on ya!

Just moved to the north NM area (Los Alamos to be specific). I really appreciate the beta you guys are putting out there as far as trails go, can't wait until spring to find my favorite! On that note, I'm going stir crazy right now! Any suggestions on ridable trails in the Rio Grande valley between here and Santa Fe? I grew up in Grand Junction, so I know what a little moisture can do to clay terrain. What will I find around here? Sandy clay, clayey sand, clayey shale? Should I just suck it up and go for a road ride?

Cheers!
    In Nambe there are some trails on BLM land. People from LA know about them,I've run into riders from the tough riders, which is a local LA bike club, out there on those trails.To get there you would drive thru Nambe as if your taking the High road to Taos. after you turn thru town and pass the old food coop on your right you will see a sign saying you are leaving reservation land, you'll come to a dirt turn around on your left that's where you park.the trails start on the other side of the gate or you you can cross the road and ride up to the radio tower too. Good luck. These directions are vague.
    SingleSpeed,in the way
    Amateur
    Dogs over Cats

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Revotseel

Cheers!
    Well, LA and the Jemez mountains has a mind-boggling number of trails. So you won't be bored once the snow melts. For trails in and around LA, pick up Craig Martin's book "Los Alamos Trails". Otowi station (next to Bradbury museum) usually stocks them. It contains information on almost all the trails near LA and White Rock. Good place to get started.

Trails up above LA have little soil on them...mainly due to widespread erosion after the fire. So they are mainly rock/gravel and drain quickly in the summer months.

Right now, everything has snow on it that I've seen. The trails just SW of White rock might be clear. Potrillo Canyon, Water Canyon, Powerline and maybe another trail make a loop of maybe 6-8 miles back in on DOE land. Bikes weren't allowed on this for awhile, but I've heard they opened it up to bikes...still trying to verify that. Best bet is to drop the tire pressure and ride on top. That's what I've been doin.

If you're willing to ride on snow, bring your bike in to work and we'll hook up on a lunchtime ride. There are a number of trails that start near the guard shack/Camp May road intersection. Popular lunchtime rides for the LANL crowd...shoot me a message if you'd like to come.

Edit: When the trails get snow covered, most people in LA head to White Mesa.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

Coors, the american beer.
    anyone got any suggestions for southern new mexico ... like near i10?

I would be coming in march, after the arizona spring fling. My plan is to go to south padre island texas for spring break ... so if anyone has any i10 and i37 texas suggestions that would be most helpful because ill do most of my riding on the way to texas, a friend is flying in and were driving back to northern california together and he doesnt ride.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Melt
    anyone got any suggestions for southern new mexico ... like near i10?

I would be coming in march, after the arizona spring fling. My plan is to go to south padre island texas for spring break ... so if anyone has any i10 and i37 texas suggestions that would be most helpful because ill do most of my riding on the way to texas, a friend is flying in and were driving back to northern california together and he doesnt ride.
    Las Cruces, NM

Coors, the american beer.
    thank you so much ... its still up in the air if im gonna roll to south padre ... still trying to figure out if the week my spring break is is going to be poppin seeing as texas is off the week before.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Monkey
    Hello,

We are heading west from Montreal, QC and heading towards Sedona and Flagstaff. On our way we will stop by to do the White Mesa Trail. I was wondering what would be the closest campground?

Is it possible to camp (sleep in the truck) right at the trailhead?

J.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozz
    Hello,

We are heading west from Montreal, QC and heading towards Sedona and Flagstaff. On our way we will stop by to do the White Mesa Trail. I was wondering what would be the closest campground?

Is it possible to camp (sleep in the truck) right at the trailhead?

J.
    They lock the gates. There are a few spots along the road where you could camp. You can get more miles riding the likes of Cedro or Otero or the East Mtns (closer to May) and there are semi-improved campgrounds nearby and at the TH.

Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    They lock the gates. There are a few spots along the road where you could camp. You can get more miles riding the likes of Cedro or Otero or the East Mtns (closer to May) and there are semi-improved campgrounds nearby and at the TH.
    We did Otero a few years ago on another trip, when the situation with the military was unclear. We camped right on top of the mountain (Cedro Peak?) because the campground was not open.

Thanks for the 411.

J.

mtbr member
    Hello,

J.
    There are numerous campgrounds between San Ysidro and Jemez Springs on NM4. I'm not sure if these are the closest campgrounds or not, but I'd estimate they're no more than 10 miles up from San Ysidro. I've never camped there, I just see lots of people camping them as I make my way down to WM from Los Alamos.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

banned
    We did Otero a few years ago on another trip, when the situation with the military was unclear. We camped right on top of the mountain (Cedro Peak?) because the campground was not open.

Thanks for the 411.

J.
    Then Cabezon Rd would be your best option for camping close to WM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast