mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Visiting Taos, NM

My wife wants to see the earth ships so I'm bringing my mountain bike along. Any recommendations on trails that are not to technical. I ride a Surly KM rigid fork SS 33T/20T. Single track with lots of elevation change (climbing) 20-50 miler.

I will be there Sunday-Thursday March 9, 2014-March 13, 2014 if any one would like me to tag along.

Thank you

mtbr member
    I think there is snow on the good trails right now... might be a better idea to brinng your skis.

I ride with tools
    The good stuff in the mountains will be under snow and ice in the shady places. Best bet is the Rift trail south of town or Horsethief north of town.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Does that include the South boundary trail? Is there any steep fire roads that I can climb? Maybe even steep road climbs?

Stucco Bucket
    SBT isnt going to be rideable

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    What about Espanola and Santa Fe? Or any other close towns? I guess I can hike while I'm there.

mtbr member
    Ride your bike around town, check out the gorge. Ride the road to the ski area...

Stucco Bucket
    winsor in SF may be doable. Come down to ABQ and you can ride

mtbr member
    Hey Tacopride, I don't know how many people who have responded have actually been up there, but a friend of mine was at Valle Escondido a week ago and said it was completely clear. It made me wonder what was rideable above it. I bet you could go up 164 from El Nogal and ride up maybe even to Garcia park and then come back down. Or up Mondragon trail up to Paradise park and then down 164. Sure there will be patches of snow but might be worth trying.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SSweetleaf View Post
    Hey Tacopride, I don't know how many people who have responded have actually been up there, but a friend of mine was at Valle Escondido a week ago and said it was completely clear. It made me wonder what was rideable above it. I bet you could go up 164 from El Nogal and ride up maybe even to Garcia park and then come back down. Or up Mondragon trail up to Paradise park and then down 164. Sure there will be patches of snow but might be worth trying.
    Thanks I will check them out. Do you recommend any of the local bike shops for directions and maps?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacopride View Post
    Do you recommend any of the local bike shops for directions and maps?
    Gearing Up has always treated me right.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So not going to make the trip because of family health issues. When would be the best time to mountain bike Taos?

mtbr member
    summer

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    What about late May? Weather average looks nice but what do the trails look like? We need to reschedule our stay in the earthship.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    The Rio Grande Gorge trail is a non-technical trail right by the Earthships. My girlfriend and I did it on our CX bikes in January, great views of the gorge, and basically flat as a board. She dismounted for a few rocky sections, but it should be no problem at all on a mountain bike.

I'll second Gearing Up as far as local shops go. They gave us lots of good advice.

Oh, and I found a neat set of trails just outside of town, right where Cruz Alta road intersects Paseo Del Canon, headed Southeast into the Ojitos Canon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I'm bringing this back to the top.

I'm going to Taos the weekend October 25-26. What are the trails like that time of the year? Any SS'ers have any group rides?

Thanks

ATR
    mtbr member
    Horsethief Mesa and the Rift Valley trails may be dry and worth checking out and the bottom of Ojitos/Talpa Traverse is one of the dryer areas. Trail 18 is low/medium elevation and might be dry, that trail is a fun and easy out and back or ride the road back to the trailhead but it's narrow and sketchy. The higher terrain will likely be snowed in by then.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ATR View Post
    Horsethief Mesa and the Rift Valley trails may be dry and worth checking out and the bottom of Ojitos/Talpa Traverse is one of the dryer areas. Trail 18 is low/medium elevation and might be dry, that trail is a fun and easy out and back or ride the road back to the trailhead but it's narrow and sketchy. The higher terrain will likely be snowed in by then.
    Thanks for the info. I ride SS full rigid (Surly Karate Monkey). Are the trails you recommended rough?

ATR
    mtbr member
    They're pretty smooth with a few rocky sections and a few short steep climbs should be nice and rideable on a single speed