mtbr member

Visiting Santa Fe

Gonna be in Santa Fe for Labor day weekend and am thinking about bringing up my bike if theres any good XC trails. Was looking through the sticky but didn't get too far.

Also, whats the scoop on angel fire? Is there good stuff for a beginning downhiller? What about a good place to get rentals for Angel fire?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    As far as I know there are not rentals in AF. I can't think of anywhere to rent DH bikes in the area. Great stuff in and around both Santa Fe and Taos if XC is what your are after.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Great XC trails close to town are the Dale Ball Trails. The La Tierra Torture trails are also close. If you want to climb and descend, there's great trails on the mountain, Windsor or Rio En Medio (REM) are good options. Local bike shops will have maps and/or suggestions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos
    As far as I know there are not rentals in AF. I can't think of anywhere to rent DH bikes in the area. Great stuff in and around both Santa Fe and Taos if XC is what your are after.
    Are you sure? I thought that the bike shop right near the lift rented downhill bikes. I saw a bunch of Giant Glory DH bikes for rent there last year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I know the guys from Moab have left. If there is someone else there I don't know about it, but I don't go up there very often.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Mountain Sports does rent bikes, I will call them later and find out what they have, their website does not say. My bad. The Chile Pepper guys left pretty upset and I thought they were the only game up there.

Is the bike OK?
    According to http://www.angelfireresort.com/summe...es-biking.php:

"Mountain Sports is Angel Fire Resortís mountain bike partner. Featuring a wide range of top performance retail and rental bikes that includes full suspension DH bombers, XC cruisers and kids bikes.
    Find Mountain Sports local riding experts and techies across from the Chile Express Chairlift (summer only) or at the Mountain View Mall. "

The Moab shop that was at the base last year is gone and I think this place is in the town of Angel Fire. I don't know anything about them but they say the rent "DH bombers". Their number is not on Angel Fire's website so I'd Google their number and call them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    They rent Kombi? DH rigs. Girl says they are in "ok" shape but they are all rented for the weekend.

crap magnet
    Dale Ball's are a good place to start. Lots more riding just a bit farther up towards the Ski Basin too. La Tierra is where the locals ride when the higher elevation trails get snowed in. Much better riding available nearby this time of year IMO. Get a map or hook up with a local if possible. I'd offer to show but I'm leaving town for the weekend.

Word of advice, ride early if possible. Good chance of rain this weekend. Usually in the afternoons.
    Last edited by cdaddy; 09-03-2009 at 08:10 AM.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain