mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Visiting ABQ over Thanksgiving... which bike to bring?

I'll be in ABQ for a few days over Thanksgiving, and if the weather is good enough I plan on bringing a bike to ride a couple times. Based on what's close to the in-laws, I'm guessing it'll be some variation of the Foothills trails since they appear to be rideable from the house.

I've got a full-suspension Specialized XC and a hard-tail Gary Fisher Cobia 29'er. Which bike should I bring?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    hardtail is fine for the foothills

wannabee
    I'd bring the FS bike. I think it would be more fun. Especially on the far north and south ends of the 365. I am old though and don't ride a HT any more. That may change when my homegrown gets here. Shout out if you need somebody to ride with.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    FS for sure. Otero canyon is only 20 min from the Foot Hills and well worth it. Plenty of mtbrs here willing to show you around.

tardcore
    Not to be rude or anything but why is everything about the foothills? The foothills are fine if the EM is socked in or you live in town and are short on time... Sorry for the rant, bring the FS, there's so much good riding here and it's much more enjoyable on a FS.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i would bring your full suspension bike. no guarantees riding east mountains in Nov. But if any trails out there will be rideable it would be coyote/chimisosso- good drainage and exposed-south facing slopes increases potential of rideable trails in winter. also sections of foothills trails nice to have FS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pjlama
    Not to be rude or anything but why is everything about the foothills? The foothills are fine if the EM is socked in or you live in town and are short on time... Sorry for the rant, bring the FS, there's so much good riding here and it's much more enjoyable on a FS.
    I just assumed the Foothills would be easiest for me- the in-laws live so close I can ride my bike to the TH. I may end up doing a short drive otherwise, but it'll depend on how much time I have. (which unfortunately probably isn't up to me)

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Smmokan, sorry but I'll just hi-jack your thread. Any current info on Santa Fe? We'll be down over Thanksgiving. How are things looking? Road bike and skis are also options.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    ABQ not rideable in the winter?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hey Steve,

I'm in town until t-giving day and I live right next to the open space in between the N and S foothills. If you get in early, send a message. I work from home and can usually ride either around lunchtime or early afternoons.

Excellent photo website too...
    Visit my Photography Website
    http://www.wanderlustgalleries.com

RCC
    Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by wyatt79m
    ABQ not rideable in the winter?
    The foothills area in the city side more than likely yes...the east side of the Sandia Mountains area more than likely no,unless we get a weak snow fall which hopefuly wont happen,we need the moisture.
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shile
    Hey Steve,

I'm in town until t-giving day and I live right next to the open space in between the N and S foothills. If you get in early, send a message. I work from home and can usually ride either around lunchtime or early afternoons.

Excellent photo website too...
    Will do.

If weather allows, I'm most likely looking at a ride Thanksgiving morning and/or Friday sometime. I'd like to get a quick Foothills ride in, but the White Mesa trail system looks interesting as well.

Sublime Absurdity
    Quote Originally Posted by matamata
    But if any trails out there will be rideable it would be coyote/chimisosso- good drainage and exposed-south facing slopes increases potential of rideable trails in winter.
    Sorry for the thread derail, but this statement surprised me. I tend to avoid Cedro because the last time I was there a couple years ago, it was a mix of clay mud and douchebag motos tearing it up. Are there some trails out there that are rideable in the wet?
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sodade
    Are there some trails out there that are rideable in the wet?
    Nope.

If those trails aren't dry, they are adobe-esque.

Cedro does dry out much faster than Otero, weeks faster during the spring thaw.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    About a week out, and it doesn't look like any significant weather is on the way between now and T-day. How are the trails looking in ABQ? Specifically the Foothills trails and White Mesa?

If anyone wants to get out and ride, chances are I'll be on the bike Thanksgiving morning and/or Friday AM.

banned
    Bring the niner. RCC and I will be out and about in the FH's, T-day morning. You can ride with us if you like.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Its become an easier choice... I sold the 26" bike.

Rolling
    I'll be there too.

Can we make an MTBR wild turque gathering?

banned
    I think there is room for one more.

Rolling
    Rewind...wait a minute... I meant I will be in ABQ that week.

Not trying to muscle in on a planned ride.

I told Renee I was getting up early on Thursday and riding toward the foothills. If I go, I'll be leaving from the path at Carlisle near Montgomery.

banned
    I...meant....there is always room for one more wild Turque. This is the badlands you know? We like to eat Turques for breakfast.

You don't have to wait for Thanksgivivng we serve them there Turques in our burritos 24/7.

Come on down and ride, bro!

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Weather looks good all next week. Your in luck. Thanksgiving Day - 58 to 60 and sunny. I still think i would hit up Oero instead.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    If I can only do one ride, I think I'm going up to White Mesa.... we'll see what kind of plans are being made for me.

For the trails at WM, I've read on here that the loop should be done CW, and looking at the map it appears as though there's one giant singletrack loop with the other trails mostly double-track. Is this correct?
    Last edited by smmokan; 11-20-2009 at 09:30 AM.