mtbr member

Upper Cochiti FR 268 conditions/access?

Hi,

Could someone who knows the Upper Cochiti area plz write or give me a call to share your knowledge of FR 268 up by the Pumice Mine. I have ridden up to Evans Griffin Meadow on the single track off 268 up from the mesa between Bland and Cochiti. I'm looking for another way to get up to Cooperator Meadow (using Sky Terrain Map) and wonder if there is a way to get access past the Pumice Mine on the road and make it a loop back down the ST?

Plz save me hours of wandering on an "explorer ride." Adventure is fine, but has it's limits... as in, one runs out of friends to ride with.

For example, I was sure one could make a clockwise loop north from Rio en Medio Village overland to Nambe Lake and up Nambe Canyon to Rancho Viejo, & Borrego, then back down Rio Nambe to the Village of Rio en Medio again. Now, yes, it can be done, but friends, it makes the usual Rio en Medio hike-a-bike seem sweet. So, this new loop is Not recommended. I'll bet a bunch of you already knew this and are chuckling mightily... dummyhead!!!!

Anyway a group is going out Sunday morning- Apple Farm 9:45, am. Friends, guides, fellow wanderers welcome. call or write, 920-4529, Cat

Bandolero
    I have road up there a lot but could not explain it.

mtbr member

Will this map help explain it?

On this map it looks like there is a way up from the pumice mine to Cooperator Meadow???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by cat_wombat
    On this map it looks like there is a way up from the pumice mine to Cooperator Meadow???
    I have never gone that route, but I have seen a hiking trail in the general area -it did not look rideable. The only other way in that I know of is from across motown, and it is a much bigger ride.
    OOPS across from Crosstown
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Crash88; 10-10-2009 at 05:47 PM.

Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by cat_wombat
    Hi,

Could someone who knows the Upper Cochiti area plz write or give me a call to share your knowledge of FR 268 up by the Pumice Mine. I have ridden up to Evans Griffin Meadow on the single track off 268 up from the mesa between Bland and Cochiti. I'm looking for another way to get up to Cooperator Meadow (using Sky Terrain Map) and wonder if there is a way to get access past the Pumice Mine on the road and make it a loop back down the ST?

Plz save me hours of wandering on an "explorer ride." Adventure is fine, but has it's limits... as in, one runs out of friends to ride with.

For example, I was sure one could make a clockwise loop north from Rio en Medio Village overland to Nambe Lake and up Nambe Canyon to Rancho Viejo, & Borrego, then back down Rio Nambe to the Village of Rio en Medio again. Now, yes, it can be done, but friends, it makes the usual Rio en Medio hike-a-bike seem sweet. So, this new loop is Not recommended. I'll bet a bunch of you already knew this and are chuckling mightily... dummyhead!!!!

Anyway a group is going out Sunday morning- Apple Farm 9:45, am. Friends, guides, fellow wanderers welcome. call or write, 920-4529, Cat
    How manny miles you riding tomorrow?

mtbr member
    Two groups, one shorter ride up Bland and down Medio Dia to Cochiti ~ 15 miles.
    Another group, ~25-30, will head up 268 etc and down Medio Dia, depending on the weather. The aspens up there are real pirty right now.

Bandolero
    I'm game, will be there in the morning (Green Dodge Dave)

mtbr member
    Cool, see ya then- tan Prius.