Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    banned

TSV to Red River: Rollin' the Sangre de Cristos

Thanks again Gregg and all the folks who showed for this ride. cdaddy, Rotmilky, dtimms what a day, huh? There was another gentleman, but his name escapes me at the moment . The SS class represented in fashion this day. Something along the lines of 4600' over 12 miles, it was tough even for us geary's. Props to cdaddy for the most ruthless climbing effort of the day. I have never seen anyone rock the SS in such a fashion. Although, Gregg put on sensational effort as well .

On with the show

In the saddle from TSV at 8:30am. Yeah, that means that dtimms and I were on the road at 4:15am....ugh!

On up Frazier Mtn Rd...so far so good.

Wasn't long before we hit the first in a series of nasty climbs...this one rightfully called:

I didn't see Gregg, dtimms, or cdaddy for a good portion of the climb, but this puts into perspective what these three hammerheads were dealing with

The views going up were decent...

But (big butt), once atop Frazier Mtn the Sangre de Cristo's really open up. Beautiful!

Posers

More posers..

Did I say the views were spectacular?

Then it was time for the decent. We had worked so hard for it after all. It lasted about 15mins

Then there was yet another climb. After descending back to around 10000', it was time to climb back up to the highest point of the day at somewhere around 12200', and it was straight the F@$K up!

the views were good here too

....and we topped out again just above Goose Lake

Then it was time to begin what would end up being the final descent of the day, and it was straight the F@$K down!

cdaddy taking it on

Gregg

dtimms

and Rotmilky

Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 08-23-2008 at 09:09 PM.

banned

Part two...

Yeah, it was steep

Rolling on up to the lake, where's waldo?

After a quick break at the lake, it was time to get going again. Time was of the essence. We decided to hit some ST that dumps just above Red River.

The plan was to take jeep road up to another short loop called The Lost Lake Loop and then drop back into TSV from the other side. This would come to another 3000-3500' and I for one was not looking forward to it. Luckily, Gregg had a major mechanical (sheared crank bolt) during the technical descent.

We now had to head into RR to hit up the bike shop. We were in no mood to climb back so we made the best of it while Gregg commandeered a shuttle back to his house

That's all, thanks fellas that is one ride that I am in no hurry to do again

Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 08-23-2008 at 10:25 AM.

mtbr member
    What no whiskey slugging pics?

Mr.Secret
    Your thread is pretty descriptive and I've got a pretty good imagination, but WHERE'S the pics ? OOPS, my bad, there they are. Nice too !!
    Last edited by R.T.R.; 08-23-2008 at 12:06 PM.
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

mtbr member

Coasting uphill...

What a spec-friggin-tacular ride. We ended up not doing the full 8K due to a (fortunate) incident involving Greg and a crank bolt shearing off. He decided climing the 4K back up from Red River with only one crank was too hard. Wussy. Still, a huge thanks go to Greg de Taos for agreeing to show us this stash of goodies.

Me, Mtn. Biker123, dtimms, and Cdaddy met up at 5:30 AM in Pojoaque. I can't believe no one overslept. We drove up to Arroyo Seco and met up with Greg de Taos and his frind Eric at the Taos Cow. Then we all headed up to Taos Ski Valley. Wish I would have gotten a photo of Eric's sweet VW bug with car racks on the top...sweet car.

The temp was uncomfortably cold at the TSV parking lot. It was about 46F as we heading out of the parking lot for the first...ahem...climb.

The climb was two-track and was relentless. There were no flat spots to recover, just endless grinding uphill...

After an hour or two of climbing, we finally broke out of the treeline and were treated to some spectacular views of the moon over the Sangre de Cristo's...

Here's Cdaddy with the Taos ski slopes in the distance...

Oh, but the climbing wasn't over. Up we rode....

and up....

until finally we topped out on Fraser mountain....

Then it was time to head off of Fraser for a bit of a downhill...

There was a bit of a cow-jamb along the ridgeline. Here Cdaddy is trying to herd them somewhere using his bike....

We linked up with a trail heading into the Wheeler wilderness area. Here you see Greg, dtimms, Eric and Mtn. Biker123 at the wilderness boundary with the shoulder of Wheeler peak rising in the background...

Down through the cows following a rocky rough section of singletrack....

Unfortunately, the rough singletrack caused my Nikon D300 to dislodge itself from my chest pack and go cartwheeling down the trail, ricocheting off of rocks at 20+ mph. The camera survived but the 18-200mm lens had some major issues. The manual focus didn't work anymore and auto-focus was dodgy at best. But, it still worked sometimes, as you can see from a shot of dtimms, Greg and Cdaddy who are waiting for me to reassemble the lens...

More sweet singletrack above the treeline....

But the descent seemed to end all too soon and it was time to climb again...

There were those in the group, like Cdaddy, who thought the climbing was worth an ear-to-ear smile....

Another 1500 ft of climbing and we made it up to the mining ruins up above Goose Lake...

We still weren't quite to the top of the 2nd climb, and the last few hundred feet was steep

Finally...we finished the first half of the climbs (at the time we were planning on coming back up and over)....

Looking down the trail to Goose Lake raised the hairs on the back of my neck...don't want to lose control going down this....

Mtn. Biker123 navigating one of the straight sections between switchbacks....

and holding on for 'dear life' around one of the switchbacks...

The two riders on full squish bikes (me and Mtn. Biker123) made it down with some effort, but the rigid SS riders can still be seen on the trail way off in the distance. Those are some crazy dudes to go down that on rigids....

but everyone made it down with most of their skin still intact....

We had finally made to the high alpine Goose Lake. It's a beautiful area if you've never been there....

Then it was down, down, down into Red River along Goose Creek trail...

The descent was a long a sweet singletrack that followed along Goose Creek. The trail wound through pine and aspen forests. It was a fun trail, a little bit churned up by the horses, but still fast enough that I only stopped to snap one photo...

We were still planning on hitting the next valley over and riding back to TSV. But...the bike gods had a different plan for us. Greg sheared off a crank bolt and was riding with only one crank. So, we bagged the return trip and headed in to Red River to the bike shop. They graciously took us back to Arroyo Seco, but first we had to test out their 3 person bike...

We hit the bike shop about 3:10 with 21.4 miles registered on my GPS and about 4400 ft of climbing. Here's the elevation profile of the ride...note the steepness of the two climbs:

and the GPS route....dtimms was wanting it to figure out where we were...
    Last edited by Rotmilky; 08-23-2008 at 01:00 PM.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

banned
    Cool, we actually descended more than we ascended. I love the looks of the the last leg down Goose Lake Creek, and even better that I got to experience it. That was the longest DH I have ever done. And it was pure downhill. The few spots that had little climbs could easily be overcome with a little momentum. SSweet post!

banned
    and this picture sums it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 08-23-2008 at 02:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Dang, those are some sweet pics. What an adventure. Rotmilky, sorry about the lense man, the pics still came out great. mtn.biker, thanks for driving me around! everyone needs to get out and have an adventure like this one. That was the longest short ride i have ever had!!!

mtbr member

Panorama

Here's an 180 panorama from the top of Fraser mountain with Wheeler peak to the left, Taos ski in the center and some distant mountains to the right. Sadly, the picture doesn't actually do the scenery justice...and I can't find any place to let me upload and display an image with a resolution higher than 1024. The full resolution is about 30,000x3000.

pano resize.jpg

Bryan, your photos are great. Nice shots...really liked the first one in the series.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dtimms
    That was the longest short ride i have ever had!!!
    No worries dtimms, the pleasure was mine. Isn't this going to be someone's new sig line?

off to ride
    Jun 2008
    thanks for posting the pics guys! looks like a great time was had by all, even with the monster climbs!

I <3 NM
    now that would have killed a flatlander no doubt!!!

truely awe inspiring guys! Props to all... especially the rigid singlespeeders... damn... just damn!!

what gear ratio do you run on something like that?
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Props guys!! Sweet looking ride and pics. Way to go and get it.
    "Sometimes you just gotta say "I'm an irresponsible person, and I put skiing powder before my friends, family, and job.""

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hey guys, great ride. I really had a blast. Great pics. Sorry about the slight deviation from the plans, but I guess that is the way that it goes. Any time any of you want to ride, let me know, I thought it was a great group.

I ran 32-24 and it was the perfect combo, I don't think anyone pedaled on the downhill much anyway.
    Its the internet...we all sleep with supermodels.

crap magnet

Not much to add

Mtb123 and Rotmilky have pretty much summed it up. But I'll add a couple more pics to help round it out.

Did they say there was some climbing?

Greg taking it in.

Some long-abandoned mining equipment.

Bryan on the final push.

Rotmilky holding on.

Rolling back to Arroyo Seco thanks to Andi from Sitzmark Sports.

Our Rocky Mountain Taxi

Waiting for Von and Greg to Get back From TSV with the cars. Take your time, boys.

Eric's cool '65

As the others have stated, it was indeed a great day.

Thank you Greg for keeping us (mostly) on track. You and Eric need to get down to Santa Fe so I can return the favor.

And hopefully I can get up again at least once more this summer so we can complete this bad boy the way it was planned.
    Last edited by cdaddy; 08-23-2008 at 09:22 PM.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hey can I play next time. I know the rest of the route!

banned
    We were looking for middle fork, I guess?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate
    what gear ratio do you run on something like that?
    I was running 32x22 since no one makes a 24 tooth freewheel! it felt good, i could have used a 24 tooth but i still had a blast. cdaddy and greg were animals! That was one sweet bug that eric was rolling!!
    When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdaddy
    Eric's cool '65
    Sweet...you got a photo of the bug. I'd love to see that thing hauling 4 bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtimms
    Dang, those are some sweet pics. What an adventure. Rotmilky, sorry about the lense man, the pics still came out great. mtn.biker, thanks for driving me around! everyone needs to get out and have an adventure like this one. That was the longest short ride i have ever had!!!

I've got two other lenses for that camera, so I can still take photos while I get the 18-200 fixed. Just means I get more practice with the 10-20mm wide angle lens and 50mm lens.

If you want to try some riding in LA before you head back, gimme a shout.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate
    now that would have killed a flatlander no doubt!!!
    That was a step or two beyond what we did with you out at Cochiti. But the climbing was so slow that you could walk most of the uphill parts without adding much more time to what we did. I think you could pull it off after spending a few weeks out here acclimating to the altitude as long as you took it slow and easy. Remember...coast uphill. Something to shoot for while visiting the family.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lambo
    Hey can I play next time. I know the rest of the route!
    Anyone who knows those trails is welcome to ride with me. I'm hoping to get out there and ride more than once every 3 years. I found myself staring at a topo maps last night planning for another ride.

Bandolero

Little Nicer than Saturday

Our planned SF/REM ride didn't turn out so well. We got dumped on with hail that turned to rain on our descent to the ski resort.
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    Our planned SF/REM ride didn't turn out so well. We got dumped on with hail that turned to rain on our descent to the ski resort.
    Thats a bummer Bruce. I was in no shape for riding yesterday or I would have been there to slog it with the Bandoleros

crap magnet

I'm in!

Quote Originally Posted by Rotmilky
    Anyone who knows those trails is welcome to ride with me. I'm hoping to get out there and ride more than once every 3 years. I found myself staring at a topo maps last night planning for another ride.
    Keep my cell number handy.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast