mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Trip Report: Zuni Mountains and the El Morro Valley (crosspost with Bikepacking)

I also talked about my gear setup here. And cross posted this in the Bikepacking and Bike Expedition forum.

How I spet my 44th birthday...

Overview
    This was a solo overnight trip in the Cibola National Forest (specifically the Zuni Mountains located in western New Mexico). The forest land is accessed here north northeast of El Morro National Monument from the El Morro Ranches subdivision North Gate. We own some land here (the "Base Camp" listed elsewhere) and this is my second exploratory ride into this area. The first was a few weeks ago where I covered some of the same route.

I used my wife's iphone for GPS. I have been trying out a few apps and have found the Trimble Outdoors free one to work very well. Signal is spotty in this area, so the phone needs to toggle between cellular signal and the GPS network depending on what it can access. Despite this, I was able to view myself in real time on an aerial whether I was in cell range or not. Very nice. As with many such apps, you can take pics, videos, etc. and link them to a specific geographic location. Unfortunately, I left the phone on when I slept and it was dead the next morning. So, I was only able to map and take photos for the first half of the trip. I have added images from my earlier exploratory ride to fill in what I missed.

Gear
    Tarp, paracord, stakes, long underwear top, 40 degree bag, therm-a-rest pad, raincoat, first aid, food (cold: bars, sesame noodles in a bag for dinner, pbj sandwiches), iphone, bike tools, water, bb pistol (mostly for noise), lighter/matches, compass, map, bug spray, Dr. Bronners soap, toothpaste/toothbrush, TP, a few wipes, bandanas and...2 beers .

Setup
    Bike: '94 Gary Fisher hoo koo e koo w/rigid fork, WTB Mutano 2.4 up front, Kenda Lopes 55 2.35 in the back. I was very pleased with this tire setup.

Bags/Racks: old Blackburn aluminum rear rack, Nashbar rear paniers, under seat bag, water bottle cages on frame and fork (1 liter bottled water containers work great in these cages and are cheaper than bike bottles)

Wore a Camelback Rogue (1.5l).

How it gets packed
    All bike tools go in my Camelback along with snacks and the bb pistol, sleeping pad under the bars. The remainder is balanced between the paniers and the tarp bungied across the top of the rack (bungie used to hang panier as a bear bag at night). In the end I brought more water and food than I needed. I could have stayed out two nights with this set up.

Forest Land Gate

Trails
    Trails are all old logging road two tracks in this area. Some are more traveled than others but none see much traffic at all. This is a popular hunting area in the fall, but otherwise, is very quiet. I saw one set of truck tires since the last time I rode here three weeks ago. Its a mixed bag of sandy, hardpack, and lots of rock gardens (some pretty challenging!). Rock gardens are two different varieties - some from volcanic activity, some broken up striated rock from when this was part of the North American Sea.

From our land, the initial climb is pretty intense. The first day I climbed ~1500'. The next day, probably another 500 to the Continental Divide. The area in general is between 7000' and 9000' above sea level.

Seen Along the Way
    Lots of interesting stuff to explore. Old logging cabins, some leftover infrastructure from old forest fires, and a number of springs. These springs are the result of volcanic cones that emerged within the mountainous uplift. The result are a series of mountain meadows many of which have springs in them where water from further up the watershed is seeping through the volcanic material. Also saw lots of evidence of mountain lions (three piles of scat n three different places) and lots of mule deer and elk scat. No signs of bears, but there are plenty of them in this area. The Cibola National Forest has the second largest population of mountain lions and black bears in the US.

A muddy spring filled with thirsty butterflies

Camp
    I used a very simple camp setup I spied elsewhere on mtbr.com. Its just a simple tarp strung over a guy line and staked out to create a roof. It was very effective, though I did not get rain. Still, I was very confident I would be plenty dry (and I was expecting rain on this trip). For food, I brought all cold items. This area is in a Stage 2 fire restriction anyway, so no stoves or open fires. Saved on weight as well, so it all worked out. I brought pbj sandwiches, bunch of Cliff Bars, some pre-made sesame noodles for dinner (in a zip-loc bag) and some chocolate with espresso beans (since I couldn't make coffee).

Ultimately, I overestimated the amount of water I needed and I even had enough food to make it a second day had I wanted to. Still, had it been less overcast ad hotter, I probably would have consumed a lot more water. As it was, I stayed very well hydrated which made for a great night's sleep and an easy rising early the next morning.

Food high in a tree-safe from bears

Sunset at the top of the world!

Back at Base Camp
    Back with people at our land. Its been fun to begin exploring up into these further reaches of the Zunis and this place provides a perfect jumping off point. Next bikepacking trip, I'm bringing company!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    That looks like it was fun! Thanks for sharing, definitely something on my to do list.

mtbr member
    very cool, but gotta ask: two beers?

also bring your flask next time
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm guessing what you are saying is ONLY two beers!? Running list for next time:

a) buy a flask
    b) fill said flask

But really, after all that riding, two high octane beers did the trick! And the rest were waiting at base camp.

Single Speed Junkie
    Wow, looks like a great way to spend a birthday. Please keep posting more content.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    inspirational--thanks for sharing this

crap magnet
    Very nice. I'd like to explore that area myself - beautiful.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Way to get after it! Your set-up seems pretty dialed in.

mtbr member
    Very impressive setup. I admire you for being able to travel so minimalistic... I feel like I carry almost as much gear for a day ride sometimes... Zunis are amazing...sure lookks like you found some backcountry goodness.,.. thanks for sharing