Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mordock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    93

    Trip to NM? Santa Fe and Taos wins.

    Hey there!

    My little brother and I are pretty set on doing a biking trip to NM around the Santa Fe and Taos area. We'd like to do a trip sooner than later so probably late Spring or late Summer. It looks like late June is best for the Taos area.

    Neither he or I have been to NM before which is why it sounds fun and different. We've made several trips to Colorado and done trails like Crested Butte 401, Monarch Crest, Breckenridge Peak Trail... All were great.

    We're from Kansas City, MO which has a decent dose of technical trail. We like a range of different terrain. Pretty much anything except large drops and jumps.

    So! All of you locals or experienced riders in NM any suggestions? I'll also continue to search this forum for similar threads to build ideas.

    Summary
    • Time of year: around June most likely but open to suggestions
    • Area: Santa Fe and Taos
    • What trails are a MUST visit?
    • Food...We're going to need some amazing and most likely unhealthy food
    • Micro Brewery Pubs... I'm going to need some really good beer after riding
    • Good/safe inexpensive places to stay?

  2. #2
    I ride with tools
    Reputation: Jim Beam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,288
    12***
    Last edited by Jim Beam; 03-17-2014 at 06:22 PM.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mordock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
    12***
    Strange thing to edit to. Your original reply seemed to have some good suggestions I was going to look into and reply back.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    99
    In Taos do South Boundary. Most shuttle, there is also a way to loop it from the golf course, you will need someone to show you the way though. My favorite way is an out and back. Some great climbing and then you get to do it all again the other way. I did it on my Knolly Chilcotin. Angel Fire is worth a visit as well.

    The Dale Ball trails in SF are a must do. They are all good, the south DB trails, I believe are more techy, my favorite. Atalya from the college and back on the DB trails is fun. Windsor is good, not as great as some would say IMO, but each their own. Chamiso to sidewinder is a must do. REM I have not done, others can chime in.

    A trip a ABQ is worth it to ride otero/coyote/tunnel if you have the time.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mordock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    93

    Re: Trip to NM? Santa Fe and Taos wins.

    Quote Originally Posted by patrickd72 View Post
    In Taos do South Boundary. Most shuttle, there is also a way to loop it from the golf course, you will need someone to show you the way though. My favorite way is an out and back. Some great climbing and then you get to do it all again the other way. I did it on my Knolly Chilcotin. Angel Fire is worth a visit as well.

    The Dale Ball trails in SF are a must do. They are all good, the south DB trails, I believe are more techy, my favorite. Atalya from the college and back on the DB trails is fun. Windsor is good, not as great as some would say IMO, but each their own. Chamiso to sidewinder is a must do. REM I have not done, others can chime in.

    A trip a ABQ is worth it to ride otero/coyote/tunnel if you have the time.
    Great, thanks Patrick. I looked up the South Boundary traik and that trail does look pretty sweet. Ridable mid to late June or is that chancing it?

    Windsor and Dale Ball are on the list. They look to be classics from the reviews. ABQ might have to make it in the trip especially since it looks like it is only an hour or so away.

    Thanks for the help!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuglio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,603
    What type of trails do you like best mordock? What bike will you be riding?

    Santa Fe has some very rocky trails and some very hard packed smooth ones. Dale Ball is a trail system not necessarily a trail. Its devided in 2 halves, north and south. The north section can be alot of fun if you like XC type trail. The south is rock strewn and can be alot of fun if thats your thing. Windsor trail is 8 miles of uphill then 8 miles of down hill. Its an out and back. A very easy trail to folkow. Dale ball north and Windsor get packed with hikers. The must do trail in santa fe , for me is REM or Rio en Medio. Its a long shuttle with lots of rocks and junk.

    Los Alamos has great riding. It doesnt have the name recognition that santa fe and taos do but if you could get a local to show you around you would be very happy with the trails there.

    Taos has the south boundry trail. Lots of people consider it the best trail in the state but the eat energy gels. It supposed to be really good and if there is a must do trail for general riders i suppose south boundry is it. If your more of a tech lover rem from deception peak, 110000' ,is the ****.

    When your in santa fe go to Baja Tacos on cerrilios rd. Its a greasy wet dream.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Klainmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    91
    Windsor?

  8. #8
    crap magnet
    Reputation: cdaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    567
    Lots of fine riding in Santa Fe. Hook up with a local if possible to show you around. Regarding Winsor, rather than just the standard up/down, link it up with several alternative routes (Borrego, Bear Wallow, Big T, Chamiza, Sidewinder etc) I'd be happy to ride with you and show you the goods. Depends on my work schedule so shoot me a PM a few days beforehand and I'll try to clear some time. Also, I'd ride Dale Ball first to help get acclimated. Lots of signage on DBall so no guide needed but If I'm free it'd be my pleasure to show you around there too.

    Regarding Beer in Santa Fe, check out Second Street (2 different locations) and Marble Brewing. Marble is currently moving to a new location so not sure what date they'll be reopening - mid May I think. Duel brewing is worth a trip too. Do yourselves a favour and sample what Albuquerque brewer, La Cumbre, has to offer. I've been on a Malpais Stout kick lately but the Elevated IPA is outstanding too. No brewery or tap room in Santa Fe but you can pick some up at Sprouts grocery or several liquor stores (I get mine at Susan's) Also, Santa Fe Brewing is just South of town and they have a tasting room on premise. Not generally a big fan of their beer but it's worth checking out if your in the area.

    Enjoy your time in the Land of Enchantment. It's a great place!
    Last edited by cdaddy; 03-19-2014 at 11:19 AM.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mordock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    93

    Re: Trip to NM? Santa Fe and Taos wins.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    What type of trails do you like best mordock? What bike will you be riding?
    ...
    I ride a newer Stumpjumper FSR. My brother rides a Salsa Horsethief. So both bikes that can take a lil beating. I mainly xc trails from smooth fast rolling to some tech and rocky rooty trails. I'll certainly do some research on a few of those trails. REM and Rio en Medio seems like fun. Greasy tacos after a ride...yes please!

    Quote Originally Posted by cdaddy View Post
    Lots of fine riding in Santa Fe. Hook up with a local if possible to show you around. Regarding Winsor, rather than just the standard up/down, link it up with several alternative routes (Borrego, Bear Wallow, Big T, Chamiza, Sidewinder etc) I'd be happy to ride with you and show you the goods. Depends on my work schedule so shoot me a PM a few days beforehand and I'll try to clear some time. Also, I'd ride Dale Ball first to help get acclimated. Lots of signage on DBall so no guide needed but If I'm free it'd be my pleasure to show you around there too.
    ....
    Great suggestions man. I've heard the beer scene is pretty darn good in NM so will have to take advantage of some of those for sure. I really like hippy beers like IPAs and pale ales. I enjoy stouts too. Especially imperial and oatmeal stouts.

    I'm liking the idea of Dale Ball as a warm up trail. I was also thinking a trail or two in ABQ to warm up might not be a bad idea. But that might depend how much time we can be there.

    Thanks for the offer on showing us around if it works for ya. That it's nice of you! I might have to hit you up on that. Seems like navigation can be a concern there among a lot of the trails.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordock View Post
    Great, thanks Patrick. I looked up the South Boundary traik and that trail does look pretty sweet. Ridable mid to late June or is that chancing it?

    Windsor and Dale Ball are on the list. They look to be classics from the reviews. ABQ might have to make it in the trip especially since it looks like it is only an hour or so away.

    Thanks for the help!

    You should be good that time of year. Depends on the snow pack and of course rain or any trees blown down.

    I think you would be missing out if you didn't hit up ABQ for a day or two. Great trails, good food, cheap lodging. If you ride the trails here during the week you will hardly run into anyone. Good maps from the ranger station or Kerry posted a thread with new maps you can download.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mordock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    93
    So grand news, well for us...We have our hotels booked and plan to visit NM late June/1st week of July!

    We did run into a problem. We're having troubles finding a shuttle service for South Boundary. Contacted Gearing Up in Taos and they said they don't shuttle anymore.

    Any ideas for shuttling for this trail?

    We'd love to ride this trail but I doubt our legs will thank us doing a "there and back"...

  12. #12
    ATR
    ATR is offline
    Earthling
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    60
    Definitely check out the Taos Mesa Brewing, best locally brewed beer south of Durango and dank food. Maybe can meet someone to hire for a shuttle too.

  13. #13
    honez1414
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    41
    La Tierra in Santa Fe is worth a ride. And Dale Ball North is great. The southern end is bikeable by some but can be considered a hiking trail for most. For a good climb, ride up Aspen Vista before dropping in to Winsor.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    37
    I am from Kansas City originally and would be happy to be a guide for a day or two in Abq.

  15. #15
    honez1414
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    41
    Take ss85 up on his offer. ABQ has great riding and even better beer. La Cumbre

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SSweetleaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    649
    If you guys are going to be around this coming weekend. I would show you the South Boundary trail. We could do it with 2 cars. It is a 25 mile ride about from Valle Escondido.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mordock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by ATR View Post
    Definitely check out the Taos Mesa Brewing, best locally brewed beer south of Durango and dank food. Maybe can meet someone to hire for a shuttle too.
    We will currently do that! We'll need some beer after riding South Boundary for sure!

    Quote Originally Posted by ss85 View Post
    I am from Kansas City originally and would be happy to be a guide for a day or two in Abq.
    Awesome dude. I'll shoot you a PM later this week and let you know what the plan is.

    Quote Originally Posted by SSweetleaf View Post
    If you guys are going to be around this coming weekend. I would show you the South Boundary trail. We could do it with 2 cars. It is a 25 mile ride about from Valle Escondido.
    We would certainly be interested in that. However, we won't be riding South Boundary until July. We 95% set on July 2nd. Think you can pull that off?

Similar Threads

  1. BME Enduro trip idea, stay in Taos or AF?
    By Shiba Inu's Rock in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-23-2013, 07:43 AM
  2. Possible to ride from Santa Fe to Taos?
    By MTBNate in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 08:15 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-03-2012, 09:17 AM
  4. Top 3 Rides in Taos / Santa Fe Area
    By mtollhouse in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 03:29 PM
  5. Santa Fe, Taos, Albuquerque trails dry yet?
    By Oh-my-tush-a in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-04-2011, 06:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •