mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Trip Advice Needed

I plan a mountain bike/camping business retreat generally the weekend right before Memorial Day. This will be the third year we have done this trip. We are all coming from Denver, and have gone to Durango and South Dakota in the last two years.

This year we would like to come to the Land of Enchantment. Ideally, I'd like to stage out of the Taos/Angel Fire area, but open to other suggestions (would like to keep the driving to approximately 6-7 hours from Denver metro).

Is SBT or EBT usually rideable by then? If not, other good trails in the area that would be rideable?

Seems that the biggest impediment to that weekend is that the organized FS campgrounds do not open until the 21st. Any thoughts on good primitive camping for a group of 20 or so? Many thanks for the advice in advance.

mtbr member
    PM Notaknob. He's the man you want to talk to.

I <3 NM
    What style of riding and what is the level of skill/endurance of your attendees?
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    What style of riding and what is the level of skill/endurance of your attendees?
    Any style of riding is good. Large spread between beginners and expert riders. Some folks just come for the camping the comraderie.

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    Any style of riding is good. Large spread between beginners and expert riders. Some folks just come for the camping the comraderie.
    All mountain riders or mostly XC?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    We like to drink beer. Generally, we have done a 10-15 mile ride from camp the first day followed by a longer shuttle 20-30 miles the second day.

I <3 NM
    The SBT should be good by late May.

I don't know for sure, but Angel Fire's Bike Park might be open at that time...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    I don't know for sure, but Angel Fire's Bike Park might be open at that time...
    I checked their calendar, and the tentative date is May 18th for opening the bike park, though clearly that depends on the snow/weather....

Angel Fire Resort | Events Calendar

I <3 NM
    ABQ to Denver is less than 7 hrs easy. Camping might be open earlier than further north too.

Lots to hit around ABQ at that time, plus breweries!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hey Rontele...is Danno and company coming w/you? Granpa

With the miserable snow year taos/angel fire area should be good to go unless we get a great late season dump.