Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Trails around ruidosa/cloud croft

In heading to the area in the spring and wanting to take my brother in law biking. He lives in Roswell and would like to find some trails up in the mountains. Please let me know of some good trails. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Here are two trail systems in that area that I've been on..

Cedar Canyon, Ruidoso
    12 hours in the Wild West

And this one is on my to do list.
    *Rim Trail in Cloudcroft*

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    I grew up in Artesia, 40 miles south of Roswell, and I'd have to say Cloudcroft has a lot more trails to offer than Ruidoso. Everything from old rail beds to truly rocky, rooty trails (Rim Trail). Ask the guys at High Altitude in downtown Cloudcroft when you get there what they'd recommend that day. If it's wet at all, everything up there can become an adventure. For a good ride, start at the north end of Rim Trail and ride to Atkinson canyon. If you have someone that can shuttle you, try Lucas Canyon or Newman (sp?) canyon. They start at the same place on the spine of a mountain. One drops into Russia Canyon (Lucas) and the other down to the waterfalls (Newman). Be aware, you'll probably come across a lot of moto's on nearly anything up there. That's what I grew up riding up there. Some horses and cattle around Newman, and occasionally a hiker on Rim.

If you see someone, talk to them, it may be the only other person you see that day on the trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottap2003 View Post
    I grew up in Artesia, 40 miles south of Roswell, and I'd have to say Cloudcroft has a lot more trails to offer than Ruidoso. Everything from old rail beds to truly rocky, rooty trails (Rim Trail). Ask the guys at High Altitude in downtown Cloudcroft when you get there what they'd recommend that day. If it's wet at all, everything up there can become an adventure. For a good ride, start at the north end of Rim Trail and ride to Atkinson canyon. If you have someone that can shuttle you, try Lucas Canyon or Newman (sp?) canyon. They start at the same place on the spine of a mountain. One drops into Russia Canyon (Lucas) and the other down to the waterfalls (Newman). Be aware, you'll probably come across a lot of moto's on nearly anything up there. That's what I grew up riding up there. Some horses and cattle around Newman, and occasionally a hiker on Rim.

If you see someone, talk to them, it may be the only other person you see that day on the trail.

Go Bulldogs!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    Go Bulldogs!
    At least they spell it correctly, unlike my alma mater.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Roswell here...

I've been riding in Ruidoso for years....Want to share gas expense once a week. I can go any day of the week.

Send a Private Message with your email, and hopefully we can get this set up?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perk365 View Post
    Roswell here...

I've been riding in Ruidoso for years....Want to share gas expense once a week. I can go any day of the week.

Send a Private Message with your email, and hopefully we can get this set up?
    Roswell rider? Wowza. I'm in Carlsbad when not at school. Where do you generally ride?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for writing Nenbran....

Spaghetti Bowl, and others, write me a Private Message and give me your email address, and I will send you mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    bump! Any Roswell people?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for writing Joshua_B, but I'm unable to write you back, because I don't have enough posts to send you a private message. Glad you are from Artesia, and I'm sure you are much younger...lol..
    If you want to send an email address, I can write you back.

mtbr member
    Parents live in Carlsbad, so I'll probably be there for the summer.

Big John

Fort Stanton

I keep reading about the trails here, but have never been. I've seen some pictures and the trails look like fun. Others here might have the 411 about them.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...ton%20_Bro.pdf
    Road, mountain, commute, CX... who cares? Shut up and ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Here! Check PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Well I cant send PM's yet. E mail me at ziatriguy at gmail dot com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I did not enjoy Ft. Stanton, all the singletrack is torn up bad by horses. Some ok dirt roads if you like that. Rim trail is awesome.

mtbr member
    Rode Ft. Stanton a few months ago and enjoyed it. The trails opposite the parking lot/camp area didn't seem to have a lot of horse traffic. Rode a large 30 mile loop on both sides the first day and then a smaller 20 mile loop on the singletrack opposite the parking lot.

I actually find the Rim trail kind of boring. It is a nice break from the desert heat, but every time I ride I'm left wishing it was something more. But any day one the bike is a good day... to each their own!

Desert RAT
    Agreed rim trail is fun, but I also find it less exciting. Cloudcroft has much more to offer than just rim trail. Head to the Carlsbad La Cueva trails for a rough desert ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua_B View Post
    Head to the Carlsbad La Cueva trails for a rough desert ride!
    No joke. Nothing buff out there. Great riding though.

Desert RAT
    I went out there Monday for about 3 hours and cleaned the trail up until the Erosion gulch fork. Saturday I am going to work from there on.

Desert RAT
    The La Cueva trail is very underrated IMO. Not to many riders even know about it. I'm trying to get the scene going again out there. Not to many riders in this area! Ok I'll stop hijacking this thread now.

mtbr member
    I was riding La Cueva over the winter and fall, but C-bad just gets so hot in the summer.

Desert RAT
    I love the heat!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    This may be a really dumb and hopefully not offensive question, but... are the Cloudcroft area trails cool to ride wet? Here in Austin you would be murdered for asking that but then we have very limited resources. My weekend trip I planned a few months ago is this coming weekend and the chances of rain look pretty high. Just getting away from the Austin temps would be huge in itself but getting to ride is what I'm going for.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I've ridden the Rim trail when raining and although being a bit slippery the riding conditions were fine. The trail doesn't seem to hold much and I think given its rocky composition holds up well, but I'm not a local so that's based on limited experience.

El Paso and Las Cruces are only 1.5 hour away if you get rained out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kinsler View Post
    I've ridden the Rim trail when raining and although being a bit slippery the riding conditions were fine. The trail doesn't seem to hold much and I think given its rocky composition holds up well, but I'm not a local so that's based on limited experience.

El Paso and Las Cruces are only 1.5 hour away if you get rained out.
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking too.

Any locals?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast