mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Trailbuilder help

Hey guys, I found an old underused single track this weekend. I walked four miles up it, it looks like it could be really fun but is overgrown and has quite a bit of down fall. It could connect two really great trails that don't have a clear link right now. I was thinking of bringing the chain saw up there, but a) it is a long way (30 miles) from any "regular" trail head and b) I have never taken on such a big building project.

I checked out the pack from DAKINE, it seems expensive and I am wondering if it will handle the big saw that I think I will need.

And then I saw this set up. It is reasonably priced and I like the home grown look of it.

What do you think? Is it a viable set up? Good way to haul a saw?

Can I get in trouble for re-habing an old trail that is on the Topo maps but looks like it hasn't been used in years?

Any other suggestions would really help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Its the internet...we all sleep with supermodels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Better picture
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    That is a big saw! Dougs S/U was perfect for CDT. BoB 'Yak' trailer with gas, bar oil, loppers, machete. His was the Eagle Claw brand I think and had a 14" bar.

mtbr member
    I've got an 18" bar on my Echo and haul it using a similar style seatpost rack like you've got. I don't have a nice bar bag handing off it, I instead hang the bar off the back. It works fine unless the going gets bumpy/rocky. Then it can shift/twist. I periodically need to get off and reposition it. I thought about adding a wooden plywood platform like you have, but I was going to slot the support so the chain and bar stock down and couldn't twist.

As far as single man cleaning, I managed to clean about 5 miles of Guaje Ridge this spring by myself. I'd estimate 3 sessions of 3 hours each to move, handsaw, or chainsaw about 50 trees. I did two sessions of cleaning where I moved what I could or <10" trees with a 12" folding hand saw. I then came back with the chainsaw and got what was left in the 3rd session. Fortunately, only about 1/3 of the trees were so large they required a chainsaw. Now all that being said, I could potentially be convinced to help out in the effort if you give me enough notice.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

Single Speed Junkie
    I sometimes carry an axe in the pack. Gransfors Bruk makes some of the better axes and are quite handy in clearing deadfall.

Link to a real life comparison between various axes.

http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/colaxtest2.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have a Collins ax and he is right they are some of the nicest I have ever used. It keeps a sharp edge all day. I have a plastic handle on mine, that is a few years old, and should never have to be replaced, it is really light. Great study link above. Correction on the OP, that is not my set up, it is a picture pilfered from here on MTBR, I just thought it was cool and doable. I am going to get the saw sharpened right now, buy the rack and head on up. I will let you know how it goes.