mtbr member

Trail volunteers on motos

This weekend, while riding at Chamisoso we met 2 off road moto riders wearing official FS volunteer gear riding as patrollers. They were very nice, didn't run us off the trail and chatted with us. During our conversation I expressed how much I enjoyed volunteer patrolling on my mtb during closures in the past and that I was glad that they were bringing the program back. The moto guys informed me that Kerry (sorry to call you out) didn't want mtb volunteers as they couldn't cover enough ground. Has anyone run into these guys on the trails? Any plan to get mtb patrol up and running? Seem like a great opportunity to collaborate with all user groups.

mtbr member
    Skerry look out there's a dime about to hit you.

Id love to be a volunteer but, I wouldn't want to be the one in charge of the differnt groups. If it was me I would also say no.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    I did that mtn bike patrol during the closures a couple of times.I think that was about 10 years or so ago. If I remember right, some of the patrol mtn bikers ended up back in the Sandia Labs area and was telling some lab people that they were not allowed to be there. That was the last year they allowed mtn bike patrols.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    "Patrolling"? I guess they can cover a lot of ground but they don't really have the stealth thing going for them...

mtbr member
    Hmmmm, where to begin!

First off, I/we're not against having mtn bike patrollers but the state OHV program paid for all the gear. We have vols that ride motorcycles because in-part they are often more effective in dealing with other motorized users since they are motorized users themselves (not too confident a jeeper or ATV rider will want to hear what a mountain biker has to say in most cases).

That whole program where people were allowed to "patrol" during fire closure was the craziest $h!t I've ever heard of. We (trained fire fighters) have to be certified and carry our gear with us if we're in the field during closure. I'm not sure how the district got away with sticking untrained volunteers in the woods with high fire danger....bonehead idea and something our current Ranger would never allow.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Quote Originally Posted by skerry00 View Post
    Hmmmm, where to begin!

That whole program where people were allowed to "patrol" during fire closure was the craziest $h!t I've ever heard of. We (trained fire fighters) have to be certified and carry our gear with us if we're in the field during closure. I'm not sure how the district got away with sticking untrained volunteers in the woods with high fire danger....bonehead idea and something our current Ranger would never allow.
    I'll say untrained volunteers. At that time they had us sit through two classes. None of which had anything to do with fire safety or anything to do with a fire other than reporting it. More general forest info. The main thing was how to properly report the location of a fire, never go alone , check in and check out. Other than that it was go ride your area.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

mtbr member
    From what I gathered it was not very well thought out. The liability alone should have stopped it. I don't think a lot of folks would want to sit through weeks of training to go ride with full nomex, fire boots and a 50 pound pack in the summer heat...

mtbr member
    Sounds like two separate programs. I only referenced the previous patrol since as far as I know it was the last time there was any sort of mountain bike volunteer patrol.
    I absolutely understand that the motorized patrol has a different purpose altogether. (I'm assuming an attempt to put a kinder face on the motorized user group and possibly some self policing of their own user group) I was just surprised to be told that it wasn't open to being a multi-user-group program. If mountain bikers wanted to ride as trail volunteers what would they need to do besides buying their own jerseys and carrying maps to offer people?

As an aside, you could also patrol during the closure as a hiker and I believe it was a hiker patrol that discovered the group of firearms enthusiasts shooting target practice just near the top La Luz trailhead. Apparently they were under the impression that it was legal to shoot anywhere in the national forest. Craziness.